Move to a new forum?

Are you experiencing any issue while using this forum? Post it here!
utopist

Move to a new forum?

Post by utopist »

Guys,

Don't you guys think its high time we moved to a new forum? This one feels really dated, like something from the 90s. We need things like bigger screenshots, better reply threads, and much better UX for the general users. Hell, why not even create a custom Generally site, with all the related sites like the GR Archive, ToM and ToY etc all brought under one domain? As a UX/UI designer myself, I'd love to work on something like that.
What do you guys think?
puttz

Re: Move to a new forum?

Post by puttz »

I don't think that's needed, we're all doing perfectly fine with this forum. I don't have any issues with it. Not to mention it would be a huge mess to try to move all the tracks and cars from here to a new forum as we'd probably have the same permissions mess as with trying to restore the old RSC stuff right now.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
The Grimeloid

Post by The Grimeloid »

puttz wrote:I don't think that's needed, we're all doing perfectly fine with this forum. I don't have any issues with it. Not to mention it would be a huge mess to try to move all the tracks and cars from here to a new forum as we'd probably have the same permissions mess as with trying to restore the old RSC stuff right now.
Yep. It's useless to move to a new forum just because this one seems outdated (it is not)
"He's FAT!" - Steiner, Scott

"YOU'VE GOT WILLY JAKES!" - Johnson, Ahmed

"Huuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHH" - Penzer, Dave

"How do you come back from a performance like this? The answer is YOU DON'T!" - NFL Blitz 2001 commentator
marass

Post by marass »

And, moreover, there is no problem with change of style, but IMO it is not needed, in is simple and functional.
Martin B. - CZRT racer
Best Czech rookie in January 2014
Last tracks: SnowHill [stc], part of JEA 24 [ral], Ruta [cir]
Last misc.: Wacky wheels sounds
WIP: Ingliston [rwl] [cir] (5%), AirChaos [cir] [tpk?] [ovl]
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

There is no need to move, quite frankly that would cause terrible mess and that is what nobody needs :). Maybe change skin to allow something not green and orange but that is not a seriuous issue :D .
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Yes, the forum skin isn't most cool and fancy looking, but it was chosen on purpose so puristic - clean, simple, easy to load (contrary to e.g. other visual concept is spectacular polish forum). I can understand it's not everybody's cup of tea, but even if we'd change the skin, I believe the prinviples would be kept.

We can discuss the size of attachments, only sidenote, the screenshots are supposed to give a brief clue about a car, track etc, not to create galleries of gaming eye candy like on some other gaming forums. If you think the size isn't sufficient for that, guys, it can be larger. ;-)

Answer on final question - ToM, CoM, GR Archive, Track database or Gwr aren't run by one entity but various people collaborating on same general goal (support gr and its community) wiith mutual respect to differences between various approaches prefered by the particular individuals Which is imho a pro helping a lot to keep people initerested in doing that all.

Topic moved to forum suport discusion.
marass

Post by marass »

Yes, I just looked which skins are available and few I really like, but it is not really necessary, as I said, this style in functional enough
You can change colours, but I think this green is good.
Martin B. - CZRT racer
Best Czech rookie in January 2014
Last tracks: SnowHill [stc], part of JEA 24 [ral], Ruta [cir]
Last misc.: Wacky wheels sounds
WIP: Ingliston [rwl] [cir] (5%), AirChaos [cir] [tpk?] [ovl]
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

This site looks good and the plus of its style is the short loading time. Yep, GRPL has advanced graphics but also mobile version which is helpful when you have not so good internet connection. Also the screenshots are ok, they have to only show the track and they do what they should do.
ALL TRACKS
Michkov

Post by Michkov »

The forum works perfectly fine, IMO there is no need to change it. Only thing I'd like to see added would be dark skin, something with a black or dark grey background to make it easier to use at night.
utopist

Post by utopist »

Looks like its an no-brainer. :)
Areen

Post by Areen »

@utopist, I think in such community which is constantly decreasing there is no need for big changes. I would consider a new style and new forum engine when GR2 would be released as a full game, but right now there is no need for changes and eventually splitting the community.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

I think it fine as it is. I just wish it would work better on mobile s :D