Juan's tools

Useful programs to help you create stuff for GeneRally.
Emil Patanen
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Juan's tools

Post by Emil Patanen »

I'm not able to get connected to the website behind "Required files" link on Juan's webpage, even though I'm able to get connected to other websites. Does anyone else suffer from the same problem? And could someone, who has those files, send them to my email, please?
Latest releases:
Tracks: [ovl] Riabate | [cir] Yeavy | [mic] [ovl] Xandom ||| More at My Website
Cars: [cpk] Update of Original GeneRally Cars by Emil
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

@ Daniel Rosenberger, Emil: This is the original zip archive from Juan's website, I think these dlls are free to share, so no issue to (temporarily) upload them here.
Required files (1.2 MB)
Unzip the files into the same folder where you have the tools or in the %System% folder. If that doesn't work, install the Visual Basic 6 run-time files from Microsoft.
dlls.zip
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 486 times
Daniel Rosenberger

Post by Daniel Rosenberger »

@ Daniel Rosenberger, Emil: This is the original zip archive from Juan's website, I think these dlls are free to share, so no issue to (temporarily) upload them here.
Quote:
Required files (1.2 MB)
Unzip the files into the same folder where you have the tools or in the %System% folder. If that doesn't work, install the Visual Basic 6 run-time files from Microsoft.

thanks for the files but when i unzip them it still says that a file is invalid or missing.
Emil Patanen
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Emil Patanen »

Thanks a lot for putting them here, Trigger Happy :)
Latest releases:
Tracks: [ovl] Riabate | [cir] Yeavy | [mic] [ovl] Xandom ||| More at My Website
Cars: [cpk] Update of Original GeneRally Cars by Emil
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

You're welcome, guys. :)
Daniel Rosenberger wrote:thanks for the files but when i unzip them it still says that a file is invalid or missing.
I think downloading isn't enough, they must be placed in the folder mentioned above and maybe something more, it was few times discussed in Help subforum, try to look there.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Try running it as an administrator in Windows XP compatibility mode.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Daniel Rosenberger

Post by Daniel Rosenberger »

Thanks for the tipps it finally worked :bg:
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Does the SaveGame reader actually works with the most recent version of GR or am I just stuffing things up?
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

I am using SaveGame Reader in my competition, and the competition runs in 1.20c so...i think it does :bg:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

So I thought, but this doesn't look completely right.

Oh, for whatever reason it works now. No clue what I did, but fine, it works :)
Attachments
sg.JPG
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

I'm getting some pretty horsesh!t values for Frame Step, like some several trillion, even though I've quadruple-checked the FS to be a normal value. What's wrong?
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Re: Tools & Utilities Request Thread

Post by Haruna »

Can someone do a small favor and re-upload Juan's tools elsewhere - particularly Save Game Reader and the new Car Editor? I'll need it for a guide that I'd like to drop before I potentially leave.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

The Website isn't working anymore. Can someone give me the car editor via PM/Email?

EDIT: Downloaded it over PGR.de :)
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
K5054

Post by K5054 »

I have a problem with CE 1.0. It opens, but after that I can't do anything. What should I do?
Ricardolosso

Post by Ricardolosso »

Everything works fine and dude thnx for the car editor...perfect! Only one thing, the Option (editor) doesn't work :(

I've tried with Windows Compability but that also doesn't work...please help someone :)
Ries was here!
MarinZG2006

Re: Tools WIP

Post by MarinZG2006 »

I really can't seem to get the hang of the car editor. :shrug:

When i click on the "help" button, it does nothing,
if i try to visit Juan's website, it cant be reached. :headbang:

Help anyone?
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Don't worry, Juan's page is down.
Which version of his CarEditor do you have? And what do you need help with?
EnemysKiller

Post by EnemysKiller »

Hey there!

I'm aware that probably nobody is active here anymore, but I'll try asking regardless.
The issue I have is that the palette in the car editor looks pretty horrible IMO and I'd like to change it.

First of all, is that theoretically even possible? Or are those colors hard-coded into GeneRally?
Does anyone still know at least which programming language the editor is written in?
Is there some way to get the source code for it, or to edit the palette that must be somewhere inside the exe file?

Is it maybe possible to change the palette seen here by changing the palette of the actual game?
If yes, that would also change the tracks you see in game, correct?
If that's the case, then why do you have more color options for cars in game than in the car editor?

Thanks for any help.
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

You can use a custom palette in-game. Just go to the settings and pick a palette from the palette folder inside GeneRally's main directory. There are quite a lot of custom palettes around this forum and on GR Archives. Unfortunately, the latter page has been down for a while now.

If you want to create a custom palette, you can do so using Strava's GR Pal Edit. I'm not sure about these boards, but you can surely find it on Planetgenerally.de. You should be aware that there are some restrictions on what you can change. The number of colors is indeed hard-coded. You will also notice that different objects share the same colors, GR Pal Edit does a decent job documenting which color does what. So if you change the whole palette of grays to shades of purple, not only the tarmac will turn purple but gray cars as well. Talking about tarmac, the range of grays used also depends on the POV of the track. That might not be true for other surfaces and colors within your palette. I'm just saying, there are some other variables that you need to play around with.

There is a workaround, though. Let's say that you want a pink McLaren. You can either paint all the polygons using the same placeholder colors used with the original GeneRally cars. There are two such placeholder colors in every palette - I don't recall their number from memory - and you can turn them into a vibrant pink by changing the primary and secondary color of your driver profile in-game. Then you can use the full spectrum of RGB colors.

And lastly, I can't tell what you mean by "horrible" colors in the car editor. You can change the color of wheels, helmets, shadows etc. in the editor but that has an impact only on the rendered preview of your car within the same tool. Doing so, you can't change any color within the game. What does impact the colors in-game, though, is the shading slider that you can adjust in the car editor. GeneRally fakes lighting by having the polygons of your car change their color to the two shades closest to the color chosen in the editor. That might result in some weird coloring only visible in-game when an orange or a dark red car partly turns into a dark blue, for example. Maybe that's what you meant with horrible...

Can you import a custom palette into the car editor and work with your custom colors? I don't think so.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

A little extra information on car editing at this point: When you use the "normals" button (you should usually do this after finishing work on the model), the car editor will calculate some random light source. So the color you see ingame doesn't only consist of the color itself (which you see in the car editor), but also on the two colors after this initial color. Third color after these two is used for underwater. So e.g. there are three reds somewhere around 168. When you use the first, it will be alright (because the two subsequent colors are in the same range. Don't go underwater there!). When you use the third, it will look bad, because the game takes the following colors afterwards (I think it was yellow, not sure though). You might want to take a look especially at Lorenzo's cars. He uses a special method to "trick" the Normals button. When you invert all polies, press "normals", the editor will put a "light source" inside the car. This means all outer surfaces are dark. If you invert all polies again (don't press "Normals" again!) the outside is still dark, so ingame only one color is used (no shading). This allows for custom shadings and also for the use of colors which are really unique on the palette.

Maybe not 100 % on topic, but it could be a help :)

edit: the custom placeholder colors which take on the color of the driver are 0 (main color) and 4 (helmet / secondary color).