Formula Wincars: Looking for feedback on racing game

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
DragonJam

Formula Wincars: Looking for feedback on racing game

Post by DragonJam »

Hello everyone!

First let me introduce me since this is my first post at GeneRally forum:

My name is Javier, I'm a guy from Spain who's always loved and played games since the 80's. I worked as a QA tester at EA for two years, and finally joined an indie videogame studio. We're an 11 people team currently working on our first game.

The thing is that we really care about our first game and want to make it as good as we can. Since we're an indie studio and also got tired of how big studios care more about hyping their titles, rather than hearing to gamers, we've decided to do right the opposite thing.

We are very interested in hearing people opinion on our game, suggestions, ideas....everything! and take them into account while we develop the game. We're showing our game at an early stage, no tricks! even though we're aware that some people would say that it sucks, cause unfinished games usually looks like crap. We don't care, we think that's the price we gotta pay if we really want to hear gamers opinion from the start.

That's when I remembered playing and having fun with GeneRally back in the day, and also remembered that the game had a dedicated community. I think that the opinion of players like you is really valuable to us. I've read the forum rules before posting!!! and don't think that a post like this is against any of the forums guidelines.

Don't hesitate to ask anything you feel like, I promise to answer everybody. We are also open to hear any idea, doesn't mind how crazy it might sound. In exchange, I can offer closed-beta access to people interested, just go to our site and sign up and you'll be included in the beta testers list.

So, regarding our game:

Our game is called Formula Wincars, it mixes two close genres: Arcade racers and Karting games. We also implemented lots of online gaming features, specifically inspired by those from MOBA games. That means that strategy and tactics will be important too.

It will be available for PC.

We are really excited about our co-op mode TEAMS MODE It's gotta be a cornerstone of the game. 4 vs 4 players teamed up into two different teams, where players will be able to share driver's special skills and where the choice of a common strategy between thousands of possibilities will be a must! These are MOBA games features implemented in the racing genre. The strategy and tactics will be the key.

Our latest trailer so far:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6vi5yTJaSg[/youtube]

But I must say that in fact it's pretty old and the game looks much better now, it's just that we don't have enough time to make another trailer without stopping the developing of the game. And the game is the priority now. Our closed beta relases within two months approximately so we're working hardly to fulfil that deadline. (not sure if we will be able to do it or finally delay it a little bit)

Our game is intended to be totally oriented to online competition with some features like up to 4000 players tournaments. These tournaments will have real life prizes to winnners, and virtual goodies like car skins to every participant.

We're also running a development blog at our site where we make updates and try to share everything we learn and how we solve the problems we encounter (I don't know if it's allowed to put the link here, but if you're interested just google it). If you're curious about how games are made or you are a game dev student, you can have a look at it.

Some images of the game and its development:

zgr

Re: Looking for feedback on the racing game that I'm develop

Post by zgr »

First of all, welcome to our forum :)

Now to your game...:

Well, it's a great idea and after I saw the trailer, I have to ask you: Do you know F1 Race Stars? It reminds me a lot of it :D but that's good, because I love this style of games :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: Hopefully it will be as good as F1 Race Stars (I think so) :bg:

Good luck :)
Hello.
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

The screenies are very good (detailed)! Hope, that the game will looking like in the screens (or even better). :bg:

And I'm in for closed-beta. :)
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

zgr wrote:First of all, welcome to our forum :)

Now to your game...:

Well, it's a great idea and after I saw the trailer, I have to ask you: Do you know F1 Race Stars? It reminds me a lot of it :D but that's good, because I love this style of games :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: Hopefully it will be as good as F1 Race Stars (I think so) :bg:

Good luck :)
Hello zgr

First, thanks for the welcome :goodvibes:

Yes, of course we know F1 Race Stars. We really like it and it's among our favorite titles when it comes to karting games, though, my personal favorite is Mario Kart 8. We're also influenced by classics like Diddy Kong Racing, Crash Team Racing and Snes Street Racer. Regarding this last one, Street Racer's creators Chris West and Tony West even wrote a few lines about our game to express their support:

Thanks a lot for your comment and wishing us good luck!
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

RobertRacer wrote:The screenies are very good (detailed)! Hope, that the game will looking like in the screens (or even better). :bg:

And I'm in for closed-beta. :)
Hello RobertRacer

Yes, we're trying to take care of how we show the game's screenshots. Since we're letting everyone observe a work in progress thing, at least let's make them look good! :sweatdrop:

Regarding how the game will eventually look like, at this moment, the game runs at 720 resolution mantaining a solid 60 frames per second rate. Better PC's like gaming hardware will be able to run it in 1080. There also will be filters available like anti aliasing to make it look even better and smooth.

Thanks a lot for your comment and for helping us with the beta!
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Nice game! I was always wondering if there ever exists a racing game featuring real car-shaped cars shrunk into kart size.

Will there be customizations in this game? Such as custom tracks, custom liveries and whatnot.
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

Rendy wrote:Nice game! I was always wondering if there ever exists a racing game featuring real car-shaped cars shrunk into kart size.

Will there be customizations in this game? Such as custom tracks, custom liveries and whatnot.
Hi Rendy,

Yes there will be customizations, though, there won't be custom tracks.

First, there will be lots of different skins for every car model. Here, you can see some of them, but there will many more. At the moment we have more than 100 and counting.

http://www.formulawincars.com/content/u ... _skins.jpg

There also will be stickers to place them in certain parts of your car in order to make them look unique. Lastly you will be able to create custom license plates.

Thanks a lot for your comment!
NicolasP

Post by NicolasP »

I'm too interested now in this game, are very good, but the game can have a Livery Editor
? :yummy:
ps. Welcome DragonJam! :wave:
Bienvenido DragonJam! :P
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

NicolasP wrote:I'm too interested now in this game, are very good, but the game can have a Livery Editor
We'd love to implement a full livery editor. But we got to be realistic and stick to what's planned and scheduled.

But yes, there will be customisations. From the start: lots of different skins for each model, stickers to place in several parts of the cars, and if we have anough time, a custom lights to make your car look cooler.

We're also working in a custom license plates editor.

Thanks a lot for your comment!!
¡Gracias por la bienvenida! ;)
NicolasP

Post by NicolasP »

DragonJam wrote:
NicolasP wrote:I'm too interested now in this game, are very good, but the game can have a Livery Editor
We'd love to implement a full livery editor. But we got to be realistic and stick to what's planned and scheduled.

But yes, there will be customisations. From the start: lots of different skins for each model, stickers to place in several parts of the cars, and if we have anough time, a custom lights to make your car look cooler.

We're also working in a custom license plates editor.

Thanks a lot for your comment!!
¡Gracias por la bienvenida! ;)
And i have 2 other questions, the game will be paid or free? And the game run good in Windows XP? :scratch:
De nada. ;)
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

NicolasP wrote:
DragonJam wrote:
NicolasP wrote: And i have 2 other questions, the game will be paid or free? And the game run good in Windows XP? :scratch:
The game will be released under the free to play model.

We are aware that this brings some controversy sometimes, but we've got a strong compromise to keep it balanced. We've being (and still are) players before than developers and wouldn't let things go unfair. Our intention is to gather the maximum number of players, making the competition side of the game really enganging, and at the same time, giving a chance to players to play the game and see if they like it completely for free.

Every game feature will be unlockable by just playing in a amount of time within reason, similar to a classic story mode.

There will be massive tournaments with up to 4000 players, which will cost a little fee ($1 more or less), and in exchange you will be able to win real life prizes (gaming hardware like controllers, headphones, keyboards, etc...) and a customisation item will be given to every player who participates in the tournament. The game will also include a great variety of customisations based only on visuals which will not affect gameplay. There will also be options of unlocking every game feature from start by paying, just in case you want to go directly to compete.

In fact, I think that it's obvious that keeping it balanced it's a must, since nobody would play a game where a player can take advantage over others by just paying more.

Thanks a lot for your comment!
Last edited by DragonJam on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
puttz

Post by puttz »

DragonJam wrote:
NicolasP wrote:
DragonJam wrote:
NicolasP wrote: And i have 2 other questions, the game will be paid or free? And the game run good in Windows XP? :scratch:
The game will be released under the free to play model....

In fact, I think that it's obvious that keeping it balanced it's a must, since nobody would play a game where a player can take advantage over others by just paying more.
This is the correct way to do a f2p game, the pay stuff just unlocks stuff a little quicker or gives some extra customization options, nothing that really affects actual gameplay. I have to give you props for that :bg: Unfortunately a lot of games follow a model that is like your statement because that is where the money lies. There are enough suckers (wallet warriors) out there that are willing to pay big buck to be able to vault right to the top of a game.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

puttz wrote:
DragonJam wrote:
NicolasP wrote:
DragonJam wrote:
The game will be released under the free to play model....

This is the correct way to do a f2p game, the pay stuff just unlocks stuff a little quicker or gives some extra customization options, nothing that really affects actual gameplay. I have to give you props for that :bg: Unfortunately a lot of games follow a model that is like your statement because that is where the money lies. There are enough suckers (wallet warriors) out there that are willing to pay big buck to be able to vault right to the top of a game.
Thanks a lot for the comment, we share the same opinion!
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

News!

It’s been a tough month full of intense work, but it also brought highly gratifying results. In this update we will show you some screenshots which illustrates our progress, don’t hesitate to leave a comment expressing any thought you may have on this. Feedback is much appreciated!

Drivers:

Menu Screens

Circuits

At the moment we are implementing each car's final handling, this means that soon we'll be able to make a new gameplay trailer (our current trailer is waaaay too old).

Besides, we've decided that finally, we will change the game's name. We took into account the feedback received (some of you didn't like the name at all) and there also was a risk of some legal conflict because of using the word "Formula"....so we decided to change the name. We'll announce the new one soon!

Thanks for the support!
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

^ Several names have popped out of my brain the second I read this post. Hmm, let's see...

"The Wincars"
"Super Wincars"
"Power Karting"
etcetcetc
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

Rendy wrote:^ Several names have popped out of my brain the second I read this post. Hmm, let's see...

"The Wincars"
"Super Wincars"
"Power Karting"
etcetcetc
Wow! Pretty close to the one we chose!! :roll: :goal:
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

Woah! This game looks really good! Really promising something. I would love to see it released and being acclaimed. I would also love to play it. Is it going to be moddable? Like, can you create your own tracks and cars, like TrackMania? I loved the idea of a license plate editor. There aren't many games that allow the player to do that, like Midnight Club. Well, maybe if there isn't a livery editor, are the players going to be able to create skins via Photoshop? I think that a workshop would be a great idea, where you could submit your liveries and have people rate and download them.
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Thunderstrucker wrote:Woah! This game looks really good! Really promising something. I would love to see it released and being acclaimed.
:up: :iagree:
It looks really promising! Can't wait for final release :yummy: Keep up the good work DragonJam :bg:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
puttz

Post by puttz »

Just curious, are you thinking about trying to get this game onto Steam? It might be a good way to get a larger audience for your game :bg:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

Thunderstrucker wrote:Woah! This game looks really good! Really promising something. I would love to see it released and being acclaimed. I would also love to play it. Is it going to be moddable? Like, can you create your own tracks and cars, like TrackMania? I loved the idea of a license plate editor. There aren't many games that allow the player to do that, like Midnight Club. Well, maybe if there isn't a livery editor, are the players going to be able to create skins via Photoshop? I think that a workshop would be a great idea, where you could submit your liveries and have people rate and download them.
I wouldn't say that the game could be defined as moddable, but of course, there will be customization options:

From first launch we'll have lots of different skins for each car model and stickers to place them in several spots of the car.

The license plate editor is in development right now, so I can confirm that it will arrive with our first major update.

From that point on, we've got some plans of adding more features to customize the car, but we ought to be realistic and also want to hear what players are demanding. So, I take note that you'r really like a livery editor and a tool to allow players to create and share their own skins. (you're not the first one asking us something like that)

Thanks a lot for your feedback!!
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

I have good names for the game:

''Wincars karting''
''Super karting''
''Power Wincars''
''Dragon Wincars''

Hope, you like them. :)
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
My GR-stuff
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

FRUKIScze wrote:
Thunderstrucker wrote:Woah! This game looks really good! Really promising something. I would love to see it released and being acclaimed.
:up: :iagree:
It looks really promising! Can't wait for final release :yummy: Keep up the good work DragonJam :bg:
Thanks a lot for the support, we do really appreciate this! :bsmile:
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

RobertRacer wrote:I have good names for the game:

''Wincars karting''
''Super karting''
''Power Wincars''
''Dragon Wincars''

Hope, you like them. :)
Hi RobertRacer

We chose a new one already, and in fact, it's pretty close to your suggested ones!

We'll announce it shortly!
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

Ok, my last guess:

''GP (or: Grand Prix) Wincars'' ;)

If it isn't the chosen one, I'll give up and wait for your name. :)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
My GR-stuff
DragonJam

Post by DragonJam »

RobertRacer wrote:Ok, my last guess:

''GP (or: Grand Prix) Wincars'' ;)

If it isn't the chosen one, I'll give up and wait for your name. :)
Meeeec, nope!! ;)

OK, hopefully we'll announce the final name soon!