Snow!

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Snow!

Post by TuomoH »

DXTR wrote:Just for the Europeans: ~50 °F is equal to about 13-14 °C, and 0-10 °F means -about -10 °C... :P
Umm... isn't 50 °F more like 10 °C and 10 °F below -12 °C? ;)
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

TuomoH wrote:
DXTR wrote:Just for the Europeans: ~50 °F is equal to about 13-14 °C, and 0-10 °F means about -10 °C... :P
Umm... isn't 50 °F more like 10 °C and 10 °F below -12 °C? ;)
I didn't want to take my physics bible to me, but if needed... :D

The formule is this: T[C]=(T[F]-32)5/9. And so, 50 °F will be (50-32)*5/9=10 °C, and 10 °F would be (10-32)*5/9=-12,2 °C. So Tuomo, you're right... ^^
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
James C.

Post by James C. »

Britain seen from space (Satellite picture from NASA)

:shock:
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Looks cool ! :bg: :champa:
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

Looks cold! :D

Today whe've got some kind of "snowstorm" here in the most western-part of Germany.
Very windy, slowly snowing, everything is white.
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

We had a bit of the white stuff Saturday morning, down in the "Sunshine State" of Florida <G> :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
¥Weeds¥ GeneRally Stuff - ALL broken links FINALLY fixed!
¥Weeds¥ File Archives - Music, stuff, and more.
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

Last night we built a castle (well....sort of :D ). On the first picture, the building wasn't complete, we had 4 rows of blocks, and then a fifth row with "holes" in between.
We wanted to continue this morning, But everything was destroyed. :( (2nd picture)
Too bad, had been a lot of work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

Another Snow picture (our dog after having a good meal of fresh snow). :D
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Rich Nagel wrote:We had a bit of the white stuff Saturday morning, down in the "Sunshine State" of Florida <G> :)
Nice to see ya' here Rich and good luck with all the snow everywhere in USA...
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

The Great Falcon wrote:
Rich Nagel wrote:We had a bit of the white stuff Saturday morning, down in the "Sunshine State" of Florida <G> :)
I thought you were going to react on the dog-pic, like in "By-Thor and the snow dog"!
:D
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

The lost Ninja wrote:
The Great Falcon wrote:
I thought you were going to react on the dog-pic, like in "By-Thor and the snow dog"!
:D
Hey! So true! Didn't think to that :uglylol:
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

hahaha! just found a wiki page ofthe snow situation in europe... according to photos and the writtings mostly, non-finnish guys, let me tell you that you haven't seen nothing yet!! It was saying somehing like "as much as 10cm in belgium"... LoL! Got 2 feets ofsnow in my backyard, the airport jusr near and let me tell you that's it's not an insignifiant 10cm that will paralyze planes :D Truelly, Finland seems to be the only european place to have real winters... others are just epic fails of snow... And what's the problem with winter tires? Please put them on or stop doing 130mph on icy paths!!
Rich Nagel
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Rich Nagel »

The lost Ninja wrote:Another Snow picture (our dog after having a good meal of fresh snow). :D
Hehe, funny thing:

My baby, a Samoyed Husky; a *true* 'snow dog'; had never seen snow in her life. She was quite confused about all of that strange white stuff on the ground <LOL>!
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
www.richnagel.net
¥Weeds¥ GeneRally Stuff - ALL broken links FINALLY fixed!
¥Weeds¥ File Archives - Music, stuff, and more.
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

The last time we had a 'decent' winter with lots of snow was 1998, so i'll make sure I enjoy it bigtime :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

The Great Falcon wrote:hahaha! just found a wiki page ofthe snow situation in europe... according to photos and the writtings mostly, non-finnish guys, let me tell you that you haven't seen nothing yet!! It was saying somehing like "as much as 10cm in belgium"... LoL! Got 2 feets ofsnow in my backyard, the airport jusr near and let me tell you that's it's not an insignifiant 10cm that will paralyze planes :D Truelly, Finland seems to be the only european place to have real winters... others are just epic fails of snow... And what's the problem with winter tires? Please put them on or stop doing 130mph on icy paths!!
Don't count Belgium's 10 cm as average, it's something like coast of Virginia in USA. And even more be sure, that people there can really surprised by the 10 cm sometimes too. ;)

I'm reporting fresh news from Prague, there is about 30cm of snow regularly, which is total disaster for urban people of the city. During 5 years of studying there I've never seen there more than 5 cm. BTW this reminds me one great song of Jarek Nohavica old few years and related to another massive snowing. Here it is on youtube, you can read official German or Italian translations (sorry, no English or French). :hiya:
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

Great photo Ivo, very athmospheric and moody.
I heard autumn is a good season to be in Prague, but this looks nice too.
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Ivo Porc wrote:
The Great Falcon wrote:hahaha! just found a wiki page ofthe snow situation in europe... according to photos and the writtings mostly, non-finnish guys, let me tell you that you haven't seen nothing yet!! It was saying somehing like "as much as 10cm in belgium"... LoL! Got 2 feets ofsnow in my backyard, the airport jusr near and let me tell you that's it's not an insignifiant 10cm that will paralyze planes :D Truelly, Finland seems to be the only european place to have real winters... others are just epic fails of snow... And what's the problem with winter tires? Please put them on or stop doing 130mph on icy paths!!
Don't count Belgium's 10 cm as average, it's something like coast of Virginia in USA. And even more be sure, that people there can really surprised by the 10 cm sometimes too. ;)

I'm reporting fresh news from Prague, there is about 30cm of snow regularly, which is total disaster for urban people of the city. During 5 years of studying there I've never seen there more than 5 cm. BTW this reminds me one great song of Jarek Nohavica old few years and related to another massive snowing. Here it is on youtube, you can read official German or Italian translations (sorry, no English or French). :hiya:
Do you have any place that snow is picked up from the roads and stored there to make a so enormous hill that last until august? Any trucks going in your streets to put stupid salt and sand? Any people traveling in Sky-Doo only for fun? Your winters, even this year, are nothing, believe me :) When you'll have 6' of snow on the front of your house, you'll give news... Stop crying! :uglylol:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

we have "stupid" trucks putting sand and salt on roads, in Prague (AFAIK) they are putting all snow from roads at one place but it don´t stay there until August because we have about 25°C in May so it melt before.... :p

some people here are having fun with ski-doos here, but they can´t go at public roads with them so they can´t travel with it ;-)

btw I´m lazy to search how many 6´ is in centimeters so I won´t reply on this....

I love winter however :flip:
The lost Ninja

Post by The lost Ninja »

My dear little Falcon, nobody's crying here, it's just that the people here aren't used to snow for a longer time then say....3 weeks.
Most of the time, it snows, and after a few days it's gone already.

If you do have an internet-connection where you live, maybe you should use it to gather a little information about the situation here in Europe.

Then, try to imagine how the people here are overwhelmed by the sudden amount of snow & ice in these regions.
Maybe not as much as at your place (Canada, if I remember well?), but enough to be surprised.
It's just because of the fact that they aren't used to it, no matter how many snow falls in other places on the earth.
I for myself like the snow a lot, the white landscape. the crispy air, sometimes walking in the woods (Yeah I know. the woods in Canada are indeed bigger and better......etc. :roll: ) it all seems so quiet and serene.

p.s. I forgot about the snowball battles, sleighrides, skiing, skating etc...etc...
WINTER can be FUN!
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

True... There's really isn't a problem with the snow for me either. (It was just a good reason to not go outside last week since there were no other reasons to go out either. :p )
Actually I like the snow more than the crappy ice or the melting period.

And well, I don't like the coldness. I've frozen my hands plenty of times already this winter. So well that the fingers wouldn't move. Better glowes... Nah.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

The Great Falcon wrote:Do you have any place that snow is picked up from the roads and stored there to make a so enormous hill that last until august? Any trucks going in your streets to put stupid salt and sand? Any people traveling in Sky-Doo only for fun? Your winters, even this year, are nothing, believe me :) When you'll have 6' of snow on the front of your house, you'll give news... Stop crying! :uglylol:
Are you sure that your winter is so harder? I'm just reading newspapers, news about preparing for Olympic games. Here is full translation:
The Olympic Games put on a cape. In Vancouver rain falls and snow is melting

What would now give Vancouver for snow troubles of the Czech Republic? Weather in Canada is anything but not winter. Don't scare, there is no reason to panic, soothing words come from the organizers of the Olympic Games.

But there is no reason to smile because of the current weather. On sport facilities, where sportsmen will fight for medals and glory in barely a month, ropes of rain fall.

Thermometer jumped to four degrees above zero, that is twice than normal, and forecast reports the maximum daily temperatures of up to nine degrees. Such "hot" should take up to 17 January.

Raindrops cannot make much damage in Vancouver City itself, gathers are made to Canadians mainly by conditions in Cypress Mountain - that is the scene of events in snowboarding and freestyle skiing. Nikola Sudova and Tomas Kraus will have to possibly wear capes.

"We simply need a frost to use snow cannons. But in these conditions is not possible," said a nervous Tim Gayda, vice president of the Organizing committee for sports.

Snow on the slopes in the ski resort is so wet, that all activities in widely used resort has been suspended for at least next two days. Organizers are so scared by on-coming of warm and humid air, that they'll maybe close the entire resort for the public in the foreseeable future, about two and a half weeks sooner than originally planned.

The Organizing Committee has suspended a massive snow splashing (from November was splashed almost one million hectoliters of water to the slopes) and Mr. Gayda admitted that maybe the snow will be imported from the above-lying places to ensure good condition for Games' race tracks.

"It is now the biggest challenge we face. Mother Nature is always unpredictable, you must have a backup option for each scenario," said Mr. Gayda. "Fortunately the tracks in Whistler are in good form."

Last year's test events in the Cypress Mountains were also facing with problems: a downhill on lumps was postponed for hours due to dense fog, which hid almost the whole course for judges sitting in the finish line, parallel giant slalom was even canceled because of poor snow conditions.

"The snow is enough to run all of the disciplines," calming yet Mr. Gayda. "And a lot of it will be, even if rain will come at the time the Games again as similar as current rain flood."
:rofl:
The lost Ninja wrote:Great photo Ivo, very athmospheric and moody.
I heard autumn is a good season to be in Prague, but this looks nice too.
Thanks, TlN. Personally I prefer spring time in Prague, when long muddy and rainy winter (common winter in Prague is without snow) end. Prague is really very nice, but when you add to beauties of architecture fresh green of bushes on hills, little bit sun and girls suddenly leaving as much of their boring winter clothes in wardrobes as possible, you'll understand that spring rules. ;)
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Ivo Porc wrote:
The Great Falcon wrote:Do you have any place that snow is picked up from the roads and stored there to make a so enormous hill that last until august? Any trucks going in your streets to put stupid salt and sand? Any people traveling in Sky-Doo only for fun? Your winters, even this year, are nothing, believe me :) When you'll have 6' of snow on the front of your house, you'll give news... Stop crying! :uglylol:
Are you sure that your winter is so harder? I'm just reading newspapers, news about preparing for Olympic games. Here is full translation:
Our Quebeker winters rulez :) Vancouver is kinda gay-ish... I'm kinda surprised though, this year is quite calm, snow talking, but in replacement we've got some great temperatures :) Still, I have about 6 feets of snow at the front of my house :D But don't worry about the Olympic game's quality: They have some snow cannons running like 24/24 to be sure they have a great amount of snow so, it'll be great, trust me...
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

The Great Falcon wrote:Our Quebeker winters rulez :) Vancouver is kinda gay-ish... I'm kinda surprised though, this year is quite calm, snow talking, but in replacement we've got some great temperatures :) Still, I have about 6 feets of snow at the front of my house :D
:rofl: Maybe you should call to Mr. Gayda to offer him help on behalf of Province by some truck loads of truly direct snow, if he'll need. :P
The Great Falcon wrote:But don't worry about the Olympic game's quality: They have some snow cannons running like 24/24 to be sure they have a great amount of snow so, it'll be great, trust me...
I have no doubts, that they'll be amazing, even if snow cannons (snow guns in previous version of translation) had to be stopped there for this moments. ;) Especially I cannot wait of start of Olympic hockey tournament. :trampo:
thegreatfalcon

Post by thegreatfalcon »

Ivo Porc wrote:I have no doubts, that they'll be amazing, even if snow cannons (snow guns in previous version of translation) had to be stopped there for this moments. ;) Especially I cannot wait of start of Olympic hockey tournament. :trampo:
Since we invented it and we'll dominate, I don't see the interest for you to be impatient to be smashed :rofl: :uglylol:
GeneSuomi

Post by GeneSuomi »

I like that we have finally good winter in Finland. I made a track for my Kyosho (You see it when you look left) But this -20 celsius should stop now
And the story was whatever was the song what it was