ToM discussions thread

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: ToM discussions thread

Post by Trigger Happy »

Emil the ZZW wrote:I'd like to nominate some tracks for ToM September, but I cannot see September's nomination thread anywhere... :kickcan:
What an epic fail. Shame on Buka and me. :frying pan: Fixed now. :bg:
McBidouille

Post by McBidouille »

Sorry for my newbie experience but I don't know how to make a link on the track I selected in the ToM nomination topic.
What is the way to do it please?
Pixels are stronger than polys!
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

write:
Name of Track
So, I didn't know how to do it, but when you take the full editor of post, and when you'll see the "URL" button, in bottom is note how to add URL link :)
Upcoming: Corse de Vivedo | Sandhill | Rockfield | Calton Park | Riviera | I.D | I.D | I.D
ALL TRACKS
McBidouille

Post by McBidouille »

Ok thanks a lot for the fast answer YoNnie. :bg:
Pixels are stronger than polys!
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

McBidouille wrote:Ok thanks a lot for the fast answer YoNnie. :bg:
And if you want to know, how to do other "magic" tricks, just click on quote of reply and look, how author of that reply did it :bg:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Guys, GeorgM is trying a little update of ToM site - in result lists or nominations lists you may see a (W) with link to website behind names of some trackmakers. Do you like it? Should it be kept? Or is enough only a list in ToM Links section like it used to be? :scratch:

:feedback:
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

I for one prefer the way you used to do it, sorry, since I think the W in parentheses looks like a fish out of water. :worried: It might be just me, but to put it in a nutshell, I don't like this change that much.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Thanks, DuklaLiberec. :up:

Some more opinions, please? :-)
puttz

Post by puttz »

It does look a bit odd that way, not entirely sure I like it, but it might be okay to stay.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Why can you not just make the track name a link?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Thanks, puttz. :bg:

@ BBA: one track isn't important. In nominees list its link is inside picture, in results track is usually in trackpack. These links are to personal websites (in wider sense, links to Folks without website post or topic with restored tracks too). These links always used to be only in ''links'' section of ToM site, probably well hidden, now GeorgM wishes to test this to make easier for visitors to find more stuff by a particular trackmaker, if somebody would be interested in after testing a track or two after e.g. after downloading of a month pack. :scratch: The matter is, if it has more pros or cons (uncomfortable/disturbing/confusing/messy/anything else)? :)
puttz

Post by puttz »

How about this idea: make the trackmaker's name a link to his site if he has one, if he has a post in "folks without a website" link it there, and have it link to that specific track if he has neither (for consistency), or alternatively just have no link at all for the name. It would probably look cleaner and less odd that way.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

puttz wrote:make the trackmaker's name a link to his site if he has one, if he has a post in "folks without a website" link it there ...
This is practice of ToM used for decade (btw some of the links haven't been updated, so still redirect to ''folks without a website'' at RSC with its antient forum.rscnet.org domain). :shhh:
puttz wrote:and have it link to that specific track if he has neither (for consistency)
Then no one, naturally, the main point is to give easily visible link to other stuff made by the guy than the piece in pack/nominated.

But to use link in name instead of (W) sounds like good idea, depends if GeorgM doesn't have any plans with similar name-link for future (e.g. to open trackmaker's ToM profile - participated elections, voted tracks, received votes, sent votes etc). I'll ask him the question. :scratch:

More ideas? The reason is to make the page more comfortable for you, guys, so don't hesitate to tell us your opinion. :-)
Emil Patanen
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Emil Patanen »

For me it's okay to have the "W" after the author's name. I think it's good way to direct people to trackmakers' websites :)
Latest releases:
Tracks: [ovl] Riabate | [cir] Yeavy | [mic] [ovl] Xandom ||| More at My Website
Cars: [cpk] Update of Original GeneRally Cars by Emil
puttz

Post by puttz »

Might it be possible to have the name link to the ToM profiles as you suggested, Ivo, and then have a website/Folks without web site link in their profile? :scratch:
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

In theory yes, but I haven't received a reply from him, so I cannot say ATM, if he intends to do that. :)

@ Emil: thanks for feedback. :up:
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

Hey guys,
yes, I was thinking about adding some more buttons to the site. Now I already made some changes. I knew that the "W" was very ugly, I just wanted to show that I can put something there. Now it's a globe icon.

And I added a link to the forum profile, which is a GR-car icon – I think it's not very obvious that this means "forum". Do you have an idea for a better icon?

Have a look here: http://tom.generally-racers.com/results ... &year=2013
puttz

Post by puttz »

Much nicer :bg: I think that looks pretty good.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I don't think it's really necessary to have the website links now, since most people will probably have links in their forum profile... and it makes everything look more cluttered...
I like short, simple signatures!
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

bduddy wrote:I don't think it's really necessary to have the website links now, since most people will probably have links in their forum profile... and it makes everything look more cluttered...
I have to agree with this. I do not understand why you cannot just click the name in most cases?
View my archived circuits/cars here
GeorgM
GeneRally Wizard

Post by GeorgM »

Yes, I agree with you, it looks cluttered. So you would just link to the forum profile, no website link?
Areen

Re: Track of the Month - January 2014 (voting)

Post by Areen »

And, the results? :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Results are delayed due events in Ukraine, Buka's homeland.

He hoped to have a time to forward me the PMs with votes (so I'd make the results), but it haven't happened and I'm afraid we'll have to wait bit longer, because, as you may know, with ridiculous shouts about need to "protect compatriots abroad" Hitler Putin is already occupying Crimea and is most likely going to invade mainland Ukraine very soon, so new Ukrainian government called mobilisation of army tonight starting at 8am today.
Areen

Post by Areen »

I know about the situation but didn't know that Buka is involved. Thanks for info. ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I don't know, if he personally is among those called in arms ATM, I can only hope, that his involvement in the events is still limited only to his job of news editor. Which still is enough to secure him very busy days now (=> our patient waiting).

Edit: 4 posts moved here from Jan. topic.