Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
1nsane

Re: Other motorsport discussion *spoiler*

Post by 1nsane »

The Code 60 idea is nice, but it won't work in the dirty world of F1. The code becomes active, team x driver number 1 is 10 seconds ahead but needs to pit. Team mate 2 is the guy behind driver 1. For some reason team mate 2 can't keep the car going on the 60 kph but instead goes in 50 kph "just to make sure he wasn't going over the limit". No one behind Team mate 2 can't pass. Driver 1 gets enough of time to safely make the pitstop and keep his position.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Michkov

Post by Michkov »

Le Mans is going to use the a Code 60 inspired approach this year. IIRC the idea was originally developed for the Nurburgring 24h race
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Anybody knows here any link for Live stream of 24hours of Daytona?
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
puttz

Post by puttz »

The new NASCAR system for determining the season champion in cup is probably the worst idea ever. Instead of accumulating points through the whole season (like it *should* be), or even the 10 race "Chase", now they've gone completely stupid. :headbang: Now, only drivers with wins will get into the "playoffs", or if there aren't 16 drivers with wins, then it falls back to points. So the field is up to 16. Now, after races 3, 6, and 9 in the Chase, the bottom 4 in points will be knocked out, and the points of the remaining drivers will be reset. So, basically, the final race will be the determining race no matter what. 4 drivers, and whoever finishes highest is the "season" (not really) champion. They must be smoking some good stuff up in the NASCAR front office. I like the racing action in NASCAR (at least on the tracks where there is action :doh: ), but it gets harder and harder to support it (or even watch it) between stupid rules (no tandem drafting in Nationwide and trucks), stupid points systems (this), cars that don't induce good racing (the splitter needs to go and the cars should have to rely more on mechanical rather than aero grip IMO) and lack of broadcasts on regular television here in the States (currently only the first half and the night races towards the end of the season. For some reason, the finale is not on over-the-air TV, but on premium cable/satellite channel. I only have over-the-air TV with the old bunny ears).
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

At least we know silliness infection isn't limited only to FIA members.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

They should run Talladega as last race and make the final 4 drivers swap their cars and/or spotters to ensure the randomness is complete.
Good thing I only watch the opening Daytona and spring Talladega, so I don't need to worry about the championship. :D (Well, last year I didn't even remember to watch Talladega)
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Trigger Happy wrote:At least we know silliness infection isn't limited only to FIA members.
Top-level motorsport in North America has hardly ever been stable. Mergers and stupid rule changes are as common as cheeseburgers.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Ideas, which might work well on an online racing championship, do not help much in real racing. Is it that hard to understand to everyone in major competition organizor firms? Really, this stuff is getting ridiculous.
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

And the worst thing is I can't even understand what the Chase's revised rulebook is trying to do... Trust me, can we just have a normal Chase like it should be? :(
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
puttz

Post by puttz »

Rendy wrote:And the worst thing is I can't even understand what the Chase's revised rulebook is trying to do... Trust me, can we just have a normal Chase like it should be? :(
It's trying to create "game seven" moments, which means everything is on the line, if you mess up you don't have any more chances. I think they are trying to make it more like other sports with playoffs and eliminations, but they need to realize that auto racing is not like other sports and this won't work.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

@up: I am sure somebody still remembers the FIA planned to replace the current points system by the Olympic medal tally. :doh:
1nsane wrote:They should run Talladega as last race and make the final 4 drivers swap their cars and/or spotters to ensure the randomness is complete.
That way the most crucial race of the season becomes more enjoyable at least.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

puttz wrote:
Rendy wrote:And the worst thing is I can't even understand what the Chase's revised rulebook is trying to do... Trust me, can we just have a normal Chase like it should be? :(
It's trying to create "game seven" moments, which means everything is on the line, if you mess up you don't have any more chances. I think they are trying to make it more like other sports with playoffs and eliminations, but they need to realize that auto racing is not like other sports and this won't work.
And more generally, they're trying to compete with the NFL, which destroys their ratings (and every other US sport's ratings) when it's on. Of course, it hasn't worked, and it's de-valued the rest of the season at the same time...
I like short, simple signatures!
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Any one here going to be following the Bathurst 12 hour? I'm camping at the track and got front row seats at the chase in the back of our ute/truck.

First qualifying is now on. The circuit is pretty cool and green still but is going to be the fast session today. It is very hot today and tomorrow. The Mercs sound incredible too but I want the Audi's to win.
View my archived circuits/cars here
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Crowella wrote:Any one here going to be following the Bathurst 12 hour? I'm camping at the track and got front row seats at the chase in the back of our ute/truck.

First qualifying is now on. The circuit is pretty cool and green still but is going to be the fast session today. It is very hot today and tomorrow. The Mercs sound incredible too but I want the Audi's to win.
Hmm... I'm sure the Audis vs Mercs there will be a trending topic, but let's not forget Maranello Motorsport's Ferrari xD!

I'll be watching the race via live stream btw :)

Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Apologies if the picture is too large. Sitting at The Chase in a setup that will last all day
If tomorrow is correct, the temperature will change by 20-30 degrees from start to finish. The morning is pretty cold and tomorrow it could reach close to 40C

Mika Salo looked fast last qualifying session.
Doorslammer
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Doorslammer »

AF Corse Ferrari entered in your race? Run, run for the hills. Should be a Top Gear top tip, that. How many cars have those bloody things wrecked over the years. If I was DeFelice (and I can't be, because he's a nice guy and has money) I'd be pretty bloody ropeable about being punted off only a few minutes into practice. Not the race itself... practice.

Yeah...
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I felt pretty bad because it was a bit amateur hour even before the race started but what shocked me more was
a) A Ferrari won it
b) It was a tight race, the ENTIRE race.

The Bathurst 12 Hour was an amazing event to watch and to be up early in the morning still drunk from the night before, watching the cars with the lights on with the sun rising was a great experience. Only change I would like is for the temperature to be a bit lower. I started with a jacket in the morning and was soaking myself in water four hours later.

Put a whole lot of photos up here and I'll get more up when I can be bothered filtering through the 1,100 I took.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34930184@N ... 765171343/

You don't realise how steep the mountain is until you walk around it. :shock:
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Crowella wrote:I felt pretty bad because it was a bit amateur hour even before the race started but what shocked me more was
a) A Ferrari won it
b) It was a tight race, the ENTIRE race.

The Bathurst 12 Hour was an amazing event to watch and to be up early in the morning still drunk from the night before, watching the cars with the lights on with the sun rising was a great experience. Only change I would like is for the temperature to be a bit lower. I started with a jacket in the morning and was soaking myself in water four hours later.

Put a whole lot of photos up here and I'll get more up when I can be bothered filtering through the 1,100 I took.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34930184@N ... 765171343/

You don't realise how steep the mountain is until you walk around it. :shock:
The race has been exciting, I agreed with you. Rooting the Maranello guys to win the race, and the battle between Mercs, McLarens, and Maranello Ferrari was definitely the greatest show they've put on.

Great livestream also, glad that I could stream the race till the end, until I found out my afternoon quota, which is 1 GB, ran out due to how exciting the race was. Maybe I should consider visiting Bathurst and maybe we could cross paths there? :)

Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

If you do wish to visit Bathurst next year for this event, I'd be more than happy to accommodate for you. It's a great motorsport event and it's getting better and better each year. :)

In other motorsport news, they just approved a brand new 3.5km circuit about 40 minutes from where I live in response to Sydney losing both Oran Park and Amaroo Park which is approved for national events meaning there's a good chance V8 Supercars will be heading this way when completed and that I will be likely doing some racing when I get the money. :shhh:
MidnightRunner

Post by MidnightRunner »

The new NSX for 2014 season are looking good :D
[attachment=0]01weider.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]01raybrig.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=2]01keihin.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=3]01epson.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4]01arta.jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

MidnightRunner wrote:The new NSX for 2014 season are looking good :D
I am more than happy to see that sexy cars still exist when grotesque single-seaters are dominating motorsports.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Today I saw one of the ugliest race cars ever :D. Zulltec CZ-2 for LMP3 group in Asia Le Mans series...
It just hurts the eye so bad :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Eeeeew. Looks like they took part of an F1 car, lopped off part of the nose, added goofy fenders and a weird canopy, and a screwy rear wing. Talk about form following function. That thing had better be fast to make up for the looks :P
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Seems to be a poor man's Audi. :D