Created Car: weird Grid + not moving

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
zgr

Created Car: weird Grid + not moving

Post by zgr »

Hey guys, i was just wondering.
I'm currently back on this game, working on some tracks and cars...

And well, I was creating car by myself ... and since I have basically no experience with it whatsoever, I guess I made a mistake I don't know about lol

My problem: Well I created this car, you can take a look:
CreatedCar.zip
(803 Bytes) Downloaded 89 times
And it looks fine in CarEdtor ... so when I test it, looks fine aswell.
But when I race with two or more cars the grid looks like this:
StartingGrid.png
The car do not even appear on the track or randomly spawn when the lights go out (at least with 2 cars), not able to move at all.

Some experience Car Creators who can help?

Best regards :bsmile:
Hello.
zgr

Re: Created Car: weird Grid + not moving

Post by zgr »

[Update]
Apparently the shadow was the problem. But can someone explain me, why it was?

Update 2.0
If I remove the front wing from the shadow, it works...
When I remove the rear, but add the front wing, it doesn't work aswell
How and why? :scared:
Hello.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I haven't checked the car in the editor. But I can tell you that if you use too many polies or vertices (not sure exactly what it was), it gets bugged. Actually you can place them in the editor but it will cause problems ingame. ;)
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

zgr wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:00 am [Update]
Apparently the shadow was the problem. But can someone explain me, why it was?
I can't exactly tell you why these things happen. But I ran into the same issues years ago, trying to fix some F1 models I made for PGR F1. Whenever I used all the available vertices and triangles to construct a very detailed model of the car's shadow, there was always one vertex, as displayed in-game (possibly 1.10c), that seemed to be placed outside every boundary. Shifting around vertices or triangles didn't seem to make a difference. As far as I remember, changing the global POV using GR.ini did have an impact on the game crashing or not. But other than deleting a polygon, nothing really seemed to fix the issue itself. Personally, I can't really make sense of the fact that a somehow "broken" model has an impact on actual track behavior, whether or not the standstill on the grid is the result of either faulty AI behavior or of corrupted car physics.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Yeah, I ran into this back when I was making cars, too. For whatever reason, if your shadow is more complex than like 2 or 3 polies, the game goes insane and strange things happen.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

RudyOosterndijk wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:04 pm I can't really make sense of the fact that a somehow "broken" model has an impact on actual track behavior, whether or not the standstill on the grid is the result of either faulty AI behavior or of corrupted car physics.
Actually, I can. It happenend to me yesterday, again. The issue occurs when I select a car, whose shadow counts 6 planes and 11 vertices. There is one condition, though. You cannot race alone. There must be one or more human or AI drivers selected after or below the driver using the faulty car in the list of participants in the main menu.

To put it differently, every driver/car combination runs into trouble if selected right after/below a combination that includes a car with a broken shadow. Logically, the issue does not occur if the faulty car model is with the driver that comes last in the list.

Trouble means starting out of position at a seemingly random place on or off the map. Also, the lap counter shows some high numbers. In some cases the game crashes. I haven't yet figured out why. I would assume that this happens because there is too much data on the car shadow so that some information "extends" into the next driver/car combination where the game interprets the data as starting coordinations or the number of laps completed.

Btw.: If you build your own car, it does not make a difference if you "save" some polygons from the car model so you could use more on the shadow. I even tried wheels without any car model at all but a very detailed shadow. But the result was the same.

gr_shadowbug.gif