Recommendations On Track Making Tools?

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
MrPermafrost

Recommendations On Track Making Tools?

Post by MrPermafrost »

Hello, I know I am rather new to the forum, and to the GeneRally community in general, but I've had the game for two years now and decided to just make an account at long last. My major question is simply that I am looking to get into track making for the game, and I was wondering if there were any recommendations on what software to use to start making some tracks? I don't care about steep learning curves by the way :)

Thank you!
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Recommendations On Track Making Tools?

Post by Crowella »

Hello and welcome!

Always good to see new people coming in and wanting to give the content creating a go :bg: my first thing is, there may be terms and words said that might be a little confusing so I apologise if some words are a bit strange.

As you asked for tools, I will list a few things here, basically all the tools I use. This might definitely be throwing in the deep end and require a bit of searching in the tools and utilities subforum but:

Track Editor - I know that sounds trivial but it's necessary for importing/exporting LMap (Landmap) and HMap (Heightmap) as well as placing some crucial objects like checkpoints, AI line, pit crew, starting positions. To make up for it, here is an incredible tutorial by TuomoH with getting used to the editor that'll explain things better than I ever can
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5448

GIMP - Photo editing tool to edit the LMap and some HMap's, things like the circuit layout, runoff. Extremely powerful for making the LMap easier to make.
https://www.gimp.org/
While I'm here, a member has some video tutorials on some techniques and while they're using Photoshop, I think it's still valuable for the mean time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXl8JQMC5mw

GRHME - GeneRally HMap Editor - Fantastic 3D visual editor that can be used to create HMap and get a good view of the track overall
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=733

SnakeDitor - You can actually use this to make layouts too. I use it primarily for object placement because it is wonderful for making objects lineup neatly and place and move them. There is an included document on how to use (this can be a little fiddly to use sometimes)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=142

Here I was thinking I used more tools but the reality is, that's about all I use. :bg: Hopefully it's enough to get you curious at least. I'm sure other users do things in different ways but feel free to experiment and explore :goal:
View my archived circuits/cars here
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I would like to add that the GRHME is a great tool not only for the Hmap, but also for object placement, in GRHME it can be done a lot more carefully and detailed than in the default Track Editor. Especially when it comes down to really accurate single placed objects, it's my most preferred tool. Apart from that I would also like to add the old MS Paint (from Windows XP), it's also a useful tool for editing landmaps (not as powerful as GIMP but for some tasks it does the job easier than GIMP). We probably all use Windows 7 or Windows 10 by now, but you can still find the old version of Paint in the internet.
There are some more tools out there, especially for editing the landmaps, but Crowella already gave you a very good overview :)
MrPermafrost

Post by MrPermafrost »

Thanks both of you! I figured to ask because I hadn't seen it asked before (even though it probably has been), so it means a lot to get the response I did.
Crowella wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:59 am Hello and welcome!

Always good to see new people coming in and wanting to give the content creating a go :bg: my first thing is, there may be terms and words said that might be a little confusing so I apologise if some words are a bit strange.

As you asked for tools, I will list a few things here, basically all the tools I use. This might definitely be throwing in the deep end and require a bit of searching in the tools and utilities subforum
For one I don't mind going fishing in the tools and utilities subforum, I mainly asked because I just honestly wanted to see what are some good tools to get started on making tracks for GR. I figure that this is not only a question I have, I just wanted to be the one to ask it lol.

As for the older version of MS Paint, I'll definitely give it a look, XYY, thanks to both of you once again!