How to join a GR competition

Whether you're a rookie or a pro, you'll find here the right series for you.
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

How to join a GR competition

Post by LongBow »

As per request from Buka here is the copy of the RSC post on how to join a GR competition!

Some time ago I had this idea of making something like `how to join a GR competition` guide. Throughout my time in the `GR world` I got in contact with quite some people who wanted to join a competition but they didn`t know a thing on how this works and since none of the rules I have seen so far does not explain the very basics of a common GR competition, I decided to make this guide.

The guide was developed in colaboration with other two G.C.F. J. Admin and with some other folks as well who contributed their ideas and suggestions Many thanks for you help, guys

The guide will be/is translated into various languages in order to make things even more easier for the `newbies`
All the guides are also available for download in .pdf format.

Download language files:

:: English :: Portuguese (Brazil) :: Greek :: Slovenian :: French :: Italian ::
:: Russian :: Finnish :: German :: Dutch :: Czech :: Hungarian :: Spanish ::

>>> ENGLISH <<<
guide v1.0

GR community: Are you new to GeneRally? Would you like to compete against other GR folks, but you don`t know how? Read further.
First of all we should clear one thing. GeneRally does NOT SUPPORT ONLINE RACING, which means that you cannot race against other GR folks directly online.

Newbie: So how do we do it then?
GR community: We race OFFLINE, and have to submit our results to the competition manager.

First of all there are some `competition` terms you should get familiar with in order to better understand how the entire thing works:

GR >>> GeneRally
AI >>> Artificial Intelligence = computer opponents
Comp >>> abbreviation for competition(s)
saved game >>> this is basically a replay of your own race; when the race is over, press ESC and save the race; this file can be found in the Saves folder inside GR)
screenshot >>> this is a screenshot of (usually) race standings from which you MUST clearly see ALL the skid marks from the race; when the race standings shows up, press F11 or F12; screenshots can be found in the Screens folder inside GR (the Screens folder will be created after the first screenshot is taken).
skid marks >>> skid marks are basically rubber from the tyres left on the track. Skid marks MUST be clearly visible on the screenshots
track file >>> this is the very track file on which you were racing; track files can be found in the Tracks folder inside GR
merged replay >>> this is a race replay which was made out of max 6 other race replays in order to watch only the `human` drivers racing
deadline >>> Each kind of race/event has to be raced in a particular range of time, from the `start` to the `deadline`. The `start` is fixed by the rules, and usually is the moment when all the files needed for the race are made available to the players. The "deadline" is also fixed by rules, and is the last chance to send the files required for the race/event. If you send your files after the `deadline`, then you will be warned, penalized or even disqualified.
login system >>> In some comp you not only have to sign up your participation, but to login for every race/event. Then you have to submit your result within a given time (usually quite short 1h f.e.). The login system is supposed to make the competition more equal for all drivers since every driver has the same amount of time to do his/her racing attempt.

Newbie: Errr, I think I get it (or at least most of it).
GR community: Good, now that you are a little bit more familiar with those terms, we better get to the point:
So, let me explain what kind of `ways of competing` we know in GR, because depending on it`s type is how a specific comp works.

We basically have 3 ways of competing:

race >>> you race against other AIs (you are NOT required to win the race), the average final speed determines the winner; races are the most common way to compete
hot lap >>> you race alone without length limit, the fastest lap (track record) determines the winner; hot lap is quite popular way of competing as well, a good choice for `fresh` drivers
time trial >>> you race alone, but the length is limited to one lap/run (a rally stage for example), the fastest time determines the winner; not really a common way to compete, but interesting nevertheless

Some competitions can use a combination of those 3 ways, but it`s not even half that complicated that it looks :wink:

Newbie: I see, It looks interesting :flip:
GR community: So, no matter in what competition you would like to participate, you are always required to send certain files to the comp. manager in order to participate in the competition. This files contains all the necessary info in order for your race to be scored. Which files is required to send is clearly stated in the rules of each competition and if it is still unclear, just ASK the comp. manager.

The most common files to send when participating in a competition are the following:

saved game >>> required file to send if competing in `race` and `time trial` type of comp.
screenshot >>> required file to send if competing in `race` and `time trial` type of comp.
track file >>> usually the only file you send when competing in hot lap comp.

Before sending the files it`s usually required to pack them together using Zip (or Rar) format in order to minimize their file size for faster send/receive. If you don`t have any program to `compress` the files you can try WinZip or WinRar (use Google or Yahoo to find them)

Newbie: So, what now? I have completed my race, zipped my files and sent it to the comp. manager before the deadline. How exactly the scoring works?
GR community: The scoring is actually quite simple. Only the files who were submitted before the deadline are allowed to be scored. Basically all the `human` race speeds/times are compared together in order to produce the final race results.

Newbie: I finished in the last position. I don`t like this :( What I`m doing wrong?!
GR community: You are not doing anything wrong, you are just a newbie, remember ;)
I takes some time to learn how to drive competitive and some `human` opponents can be very intimidating. A lot of newbies gets instantly discouraged by this and quit racing right away, but I know you are not one of them ;) Keep practicing and you`ll see that you performances will be steadily improving.
And keep in mind that the most important thing when competing is to HAVE FUN!

Newbie: OK, I`ll try my best in my next race :nod: However there are still some thing that are not clear to me. Can you help me out?!
GR community: This guide was meant to give a basic info on how comp. works and it covers only the most common aspects of competing.
If you're interested in some comp. but the rules don't seem clear enough to you (they are often difficult to understand but it's purely to guarantee everyone a fair competition), just ASK, the compo managers will be more than glad to help you out.

Newbie: Thanks a lot. See you on the track where you are all going to eat my dust :misch:
GR community: Yeah, right LOL
Remember to follow the rules and race fair. We are all trying to enjoy our racing so don`t spoil others fun with cheating.
Last edited by LongBow on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 8 times in total.
The Noose

Re: How to join a GR competition

Post by The Noose »

The links doesn't work.
"If you really think and say you want to do it and believe you can do it. And you have ability to drive a car. Then you will do it." - Colin McRae

"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters."- Kimi Räikkönen

"Everything I do about motor racing, I enjoy it. Anything because it is my passion."- Francois Cevert
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

GRF wrote:The links doesn't work.
After some tweaking, everything works :mrgreen:
I hope you find it useful....if you have any suggestion or comments just shout :D
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Yes, I've got something to mention: you didn't link the Hungarian version! :D Stickied BTW ;)
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

DXTR wrote:Yes, I've got something to mention: you didn't link the Hungarian version! :D Stickied BTW ;)
Fixed! :doh: :mrgreen:
Raska

Post by Raska »

Great to see that back... good idea Buka and LongBow. :bg:
LongBow wrote:The guide was developed in colaboration with other two G.C.F. J. Admin and with some other folks as well who contributed their ideas and suggestions
Just for mentioning that the two G.C.F J. Admin were James C. (JTarJ) and me.
You are a part of the community, so vote for the ToM Track of the Month

Competitions I've won :
• America's Cup • F1Cup Season 14 • GR Ski World Cup 2006 • GWL Season 16 • The Ultimate Full-screen Rally • ToM compo Seasons 2 & 3 • JE Challenge Season 1

All my results thanks to the GWR
dead14vii1640

Spanish??

Post by dead14vii1640 »

Can I make the Spanish version of the guide??
I think I have a good level of English (I passed FCE about 2,5 years ago) and I'm Spanish (native).
Power without control is nothing
"So long and thanks for all the meat"
maclape

Post by maclape »

Another Spaniard?? :wow:

I hope you stay here more time than other countryman :cry:

Regards!!
James C.

Re: Spanish??

Post by James C. »

die996 wrote:Can I make the Spanish version of the guide??
I think I have a good level of English (I passed FCE about 2,5 years ago) and I'm Spanish (native).
You don't have to justify yourself, just make your spanish version and send it to Longbow ;)
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Thanks to die996 we now have a Spanish version of the guide as well. First post updated!
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Can I use the german translation on my website? (With credits of course)

Cu Crono
Thunderstrucker

Post by Thunderstrucker »

you typed Portuguese wrong! :rage:
Facebook / YouTube 1 / YouTube 2 / Twitter / Steam

PSN accounts: Thunderstrucker2 - Thunderstruker - ThunderGearhead
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Crono wrote:Can I use the german translation on my website? (With credits of course)

Cu Crono
Sure thing, sorry for such late reply... :roll:
RaphaelACDC wrote:you typed Portuguese wrong!
Fixed now...thanks for pointing that out....