Project GR (GR version of Project CARS)

General discussion about your experience with the game.
ivaneurope

Project GR (GR version of Project CARS)

Post by ivaneurope »

While playing Gran Turismo GeneRally 2 I've thought about having a so called continuation of the GTGR concept. And meanwhile I've watched on YouTube some walkthroughs for the Project CARS career mode. Inspired from these two and the GeneRally Career Excel worksheet by BBA I've come up with the idea for Project GR (the GR Project CARS; like the GTGR series resemble the Gran Turismo franchise). The vision for this is the following:

Single player/Multiplayer mode with driving on any track
Career mode with clear graduation line and with multiple career options and changing cathegory if you want to. However you can only change series if they are from the same tier or above. The tier system will be defined later, but some major series that are direct competition will be placed in the same tier - for example WTCC, DTM and V8 Supercars will be in one tier.

Like GTGR2 the track selection will be vast with mixture from real-world and fictional venues with multiple layouts availlable.

I don't know if you're interested in such an idea, but I want to hear you oppinion
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Founder of International GeneRally Racing League (IGRL) with zgr and Np2003.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
RobertRacer

Re: Project GR (GR version of Project CARS)

Post by RobertRacer »

Well, this is a very nice idea, but.....

it's a very nice idea. :P

A mix of GTGR and GR Career (that's it Project GR) is a very nice idea. Everything must be good, so, making it will be long, but useful. :)
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

The concept is unique and would be great if more people involved into this project, which may become the greatest and sophisticated GR customisation ever. And the career part I want to be as close to the real world path - like for example some drivers have life after F1 in WEC, WTCC or DTM
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

ivaneurope wrote:The concept is unique and would be great if more people involved into this project, which may become the greatest and sophisticated GR customisation ever. And the career part I want to be as close to the real world path - like for example some drivers have life after F1 in WEC, WTCC or DTM

For example that ones?
Karting->F4->F3/GP3->GP2->F1(->WEC/WTCC/Blancpain GT)
Karting->FR2.0->FR3.5->F1
Karting->F4->F3->FE3.5
Karting->IndyLights->IndyCars/NASCAR Xfinity/Sprint

etc.etc.etc
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
My GR-stuff
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

RobertRacer wrote:
ivaneurope wrote:The concept is unique and would be great if more people involved into this project, which may become the greatest and sophisticated GR customisation ever. And the career part I want to be as close to the real world path - like for example some drivers have life after F1 in WEC, WTCC or DTM

For example that ones?
Karting->F4->F3/GP3->GP2->F1(->WEC/WTCC/Blancpain GT)
Karting->FR2.0->FR3.5->F1
Karting->F4->F3->FE3.5
Karting->IndyLights->IndyCars/NASCAR Xfinity/Sprint

etc.etc.etc
Something like that, the start will always be the Karting and the driver should choose the path he will go. Soemthing like branching - instead of going to GP2 for example the player can go to FR 3.5 or even Indy Lights. He can choose in which series he will go. Like for example:

Karting->F4->F3->GP3->GP2->FR 3.5->GP2->F1

The driver can always switch the type of competition - for example starting in lower single seaters and then switching to Touring/GT series
Karting->F4->GP3->BTCC->WTCC

This means that possibilites for the career path will be large
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

And, also don't forget small, but also somewhat relevant series (ETCC, ELMS, USCC, Rallycross etc)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
My GR-stuff
puttz

Post by puttz »

The old version of GR career was like this. It's a shame it got changed.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

If it is possible, do it so, that all cars and track would be in the game pack, so that you don't have to download these manually. ;)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
My GR-stuff
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

Well, the project may seem easy, but only on paper. The whole thing will be actually a challenge - collecting tracks and cars, calculating the XP points, determinating the tier system etc.
RobertRacer wrote:And, also don't forget small, but also somewhat relevant series (ETCC, ELMS, USCC, Rallycross etc)
The Project GR will feature road racing only - so RX and Rally events will be excluded from the equasion. However there will be regional (ETCC, ELMS etc.) and national (BTCC, ADAC GT Masters etc.) real-life series as well as some fictional series (like GTGR). The series will use both real world and fictional tracks.

I've opened this topic to hear the oppinion among the community about the idea and gather people to make this project alive

But before jumping to the big one, I suggest first making something with more straightforward path - like WEC/24h of Le Mans? This will be used as reference point if the project has future.
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

Ooh this is a pretty neat idea, i've thought about this as well. A year ago I began with toying up some career progressing thingy which worked neat but was boring as there was no actual driving.

I've actually always have been more or less toying around with the GTGR idea but I just never got it "right". A few months ago I realized I've always done something wrong with the cars which is why I never could get all cars to handle right with AI lines. So, with that fixed, the only thing that stopped me from starting is simply time....and a bit of a lack of interest.

I would go a bit further than Project Cars and simply start off with a selectable reputation and budget (be a broke nobody or a rich son of a former world champion), start with the player just graduating from karts at the age of 15 and leave everything up to the player. Be succesfull in national series and gain a national (and later international) reputation dependable on your results. Eg win British Formula Renault, gain a reputation in England and a reputation with your team and the team might decide to move you to British F3 with their team or other British F3 teams might pick you up. Win the prestigious British GP support event and boost your career more than winning before 25 people and a cow at a lower prestigious event in the same series. Or, participating in GTs fulltime and realizing there's some hole in your careers and buy yourself in for a single WTCC, French Porsche Carrera Cup and a NASCAR road course event. The initial development of this wouldn't be hard as I've figured so much stuff out already, most time would be spent on balancing everything.

On the other hand, I still find the core gameplay of GT(1/2/GR) fascinating. I have some ideas on how I'd like to do things but all thats lacking is some kind of code (heck, calling a simple batch file will do) I can use to dynamically modify vehicles as all it needs to do is change some statistics. But that's outside my skillset. Heck, if someone could wrap that up somehow I'd work my butt off to get GTGR in a state it always should've been in - and it's be a terrible lot of fun.

It more or less all depends on whether someone can make (or help me figuring out) something basic to modify the cars automatically. I've thought about some kind of multiplayer matchmaker 'engine' that could theoretically work, I'd bet that would be fun.
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

This is the best idea ever!

A cooperation between you and ivaneurope must be usefull! :bg: ;)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
My GR-stuff
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

That's a great idea. But it'd be great if we get more GR car and track masters as well - Maciej1 made the GR World Tour a while ago maybe he can also help us. BBA's help can also be useful.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

ivaneurope wrote:That's a great idea. But it'd be great if we get more GR car and track masters as well - Maciej1 made the GR World Tour a while ago maybe he can also help us. BBA's help can also be useful.
You, BBA and Maciej1. Now THAT is one great killer team :D
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

Rendy wrote:
ivaneurope wrote:That's a great idea. But it'd be great if we get more GR car and track masters as well - Maciej1 made the GR World Tour a while ago maybe he can also help us. BBA's help can also be useful.
You forgot Alonsomania, maker of GRGT (GR Gran Tourismo)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
My GR-stuff
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

These sound like really great ideas, if i can help in any small way I'm happy to, I just have little free time these days to even get back into trackmaking as I would like
puttz wrote:The old version of GR career was like this. It's a shame it got changed.
I don't know if you're refering to the one I made, but this is still available.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

RobertRacer wrote:
Rendy wrote:
You forgot Alonsomania, maker of GRGT (GR Gran Tourismo)
Oh yes, how come I forgot the first man who introduced the career-driven GR game :doh:
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Oh, how much I would love to have the World of Racing series brought to life under this career thingy you guys are talking about.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Just got it across my mind: why using the lower steps of single-seater ladders for touring cars, if there could be some one-make cups be added instead of them? I mean, there could be several great races like dirt oval races or single-make trophies (Seat Leon Cup, Suzuki Swift Cup, and so forth).
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

Herbal wrote:Just got it across my mind: why using the lower steps of single-seater ladders for touring cars, if there could be some one-make cups be added instead of them? I mean, there could be several great races like dirt oval races or single-make trophies (Seat Leon Cup, Suzuki Swift Cup, and so forth).
I've never said that there will be only single seaters in the lower classes. Ther will be Clio Cup, Mini Challenge, Fiat 500 Trophy. Some defunct series like Megane Trophy will be "revived" and some new never existed before seies like City Car Challenge for city cars like Toyota Aygo will be included.

Regarding dirt oval series I don't have US dirt ovals, but I can use the motorcycle speedway tracks for some European dirt oval series. Rallycross may be included, but some tracks are missing for making series like Global Rallycross.

Also some road racing real life tracks are missing (like Iowa, NOLA and the new Indy GP layout). I may replace them with temporary replacements.
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

Stage 1 - The Series and tier system

For the career mode the plan is to have vast variety of racing series - from the Karting to F1 or WEC. However we have to determine which series will enter the career mode. I've prepared a spreadshet in the attachment below which you can use to add more suggestions for series - whether they'll be real or not doesn't matter.

About the tier system I've decided to use another cathegorisation method. Each series will have minimal and maximal XP Level requirement. This means that you can't enter a specific series if your XP Level is lower than required. If your XP Level exceedes the maximum XP Level for a specific series the championship will be locked from the choices box. Some series will have no maximum XP Level (or will be set to 100 XP Level).

Anyway here is the spreadsheet - be free to give ideas
Attachments
Project GR.rar
(6.6 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
RobertRacer

Post by RobertRacer »

This is my view to the rank up system:
-F1 and WEC[LMP1] should be the only series that are on the highest rank
-GP2 and FR 3.5 should be on the same stage, GP3 and Euro F3 also.
-Between FR 2.0 and FR 3.5 there should be a gap (f.e. FR 3.5 on Stage 2, FR 2.0 on Stage 4/5)
-IndyCars and NASCAR should also be on the same stage
-their Junior series (Indy Lights/NASCAR Xfinity or Truck) should be below them
-Formula E should be 1 stage below F1
-Blancpain ES/SS should be 1 stage below WEC
-WTCC should be 1 or 2 stages below F1/WEC
-BTCC, TCR and ETCC should be 1 stage, and TC2000, STCC, CTCC and similar 2 stages below WTCC
-DTM should be on the same stage like WTCC
-FIA GT4 must be 1 or 2 stages below Blancpain GT series
-ELMS and TUSC should be 1 stage, ALMS 2 stages and Radical Series 3 stages behind WEC
-VLM should be on the same stage like ALMS
-Caterham 7 Trophy should be on the same stage like Radical Series
-Super Formula should be on the same stage like GP2, Japan Junior series should be below that
-Porsche Supercup should be 1 Stage behind Blancpain GT Series

You didn't have to use it. :sweatdrop:
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
My GR-stuff
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

While still planing on making the huge Project GR, I decided to make another project with a more straightforward approach - Formula 1 Beyond the limit GR version. While playing the original game on Sega CD emulator of course and one thing got my attention - 1993 mode. This was a series of scenarios covering all races in which you need to complete certain objective. I've found this overall interesting and I've decided to GR it. While there are some that will want me to cover more modern seasons (like 2014 or 2008) I've decided to pay homage of the original and will cover not only the 1993 season, but also 1992, 1994 and maybe 1995.
Alonsomania

Post by Alonsomania »

I'd suggest really spending enough time just thinking about one project first before starting on multiple. Been there, done that, doesn't work.

I've finally found enough motivation and ideas to start working on some things. Over the years I've worked out lots of things to do with GR so I can apply all of those. Makes developing stuff easier and having spent lots of time thinking out features should make it easier to get some stuff done. Hope to have something soon.