Come up with clever track names

General discussion about your experience with the game.
aliman

Come up with clever track names

Post by aliman »

I'm doing small/medium (WS 120) versions of F1 tracks (and others), and I want to give them "clever" names. The names are meant to indicate their size and differentiate them from their RWL versions. Because I'm sure we all have countless different versions of the most popular tracks (like Monaco, Monza etc.). So out of the 10 different Monacos you have, I want mine to stand out, but also still be found with the other Monacos. So they have to start with the same letter and be similar enough to be recognizable. For example: Monaco -> Minico OR Monza -> Minza/Miniza.
I hope you understand what I mean :D

Dragon did a WS70 track pack, in which he very cleverly named RWL based tracks as somewhat recognizable using corners or parts of the track as their name. For example: La Condamine = Monaco, Stavelot = Spa, Cuijmont = Montjuic etc. I was partially inspired by those names to name my tracks in a similar fashion.

Some tracks are known by several names so they have bit more room to come up with a good name. In terms of F1 for example Austria, Spielberg and Red Bull Ring mean the same track and F1 fans know which track you're talking about. So for RedBull ring I'd allow it to begin with either A or R.

TL:DR; Come up with clever names for short versions of famous tracks, starting with the same letter as the rwl counterpart.
I've already come up with a few but maybe you can help with the rest, or improve on my suggestions:

Austria/ Red Bull Ring - Roter Stier Ring? ( I don't like it :D)
Hockenheim - Hockenalt
Hockenheim - Hockenklein
KymiRing - KimiRing? ( I know it doesn't have the small part to it, but at least people know the country immediately :))
Monaco - Monte Carlo/ Mini Carlo/ Moneghetti/ Minighetti/ Minico ?
Monza - Minza/ Miniza? ( a track called Minza already exists)
Paul Ricard - Petit Ricard
Sepang ?
Sochi ? (Maybe something like Sochi Minidrom)
Zandvoort - Zandkort

I like the idea of using that country's language as a part of the name (klein, kurz, petit, -ito etc.)
You can also list synonyms for short/small/tiny etc. in different languages, google translate can only get me so far. :)

I plan to eventually do the entire F1 calendar, but for now I only have a few tracks. I'm not saying which tracks are ready but there are also tracks from outside F1 or former F1 tracks. So you can definitely name other F1 tracks besides the ones listed already.

Also what do you think of this idea? Is completely dumb or what :D
Hopefully this is the right place to post this, if not please do move it where it belongs.

Thank you for bearing with me. This post somehow became way too long. :D Hopefully you got the idea I was after.
Ok, thank you, bye! :D
RudyOosterndijk

Re: Come up with clever track names

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Out of my head:

Nordschleife + -chen (Diminutive) = Nordschleifchen (by Haselnuss)

Also:

Min + Turkey = Minturkey (by XYY),
Min + (Nür-)burgring = Minburgring (by BBA),
Hockenheimring - heim = Hockenring (by Dragon),
but these tracks don't play by your rules.

In Scholl's thread about his series of minimalist F1 tracks, Trigger Happy suggests "Minza, Zandfaart, Out on park".
aliman

Post by aliman »

Very nice tracks all of them, but not what I meant.

I know the first message is very long and confusing so I'll try to be more clear :D

NEW names for MY upcoming tracks. NOT other people's already existing tracks.

What tracks? All current F1 tracks plus the most famous tracks outside F1, such as Laguna Seca, Road America, Indianapolis Speedway, Nordschleife and Le Mans circuit.

I know I may be a bit confusing so hopefully this clears it :D
RudyOosterndijk

aliman wrote: NEW names for MY upcoming tracks. NOT other people's already existing tracks.
Yeah, I'm just not going to do your homework, unless some names spring to mind. ;) :D
aliman

Post by aliman »

I came up with a few quickly so I thought this was going to be easy, but now I'm really struggling and beginning to think if this was a bad idea. :D It would be weird to have a mixed track pack with some real track names and some new names. But I so like Zandkort and Hockenklein that I'm going to keep going even if I can't come up with a name for all of them. I feel like half of them will just end up with mini in the name :D

EDIT. I'll list here what I will name the tracks

Barcelona - Barceloneta
Elkhart Lake - Elkhart Pond
Hanoi - Ho Chi Mini City
Hockenheim Long/old version - Hockenwald
Hockenheim Current version - Hockenklein
Indianapolis F1 - Miniapolis/ Minianapolis (It literally breaks my ONLY rule, but I kind of like it, for now)
Indianapolis Oval - Indy 120
KymiRing - KimiRing
Le Mans 24h - LeMons 120
Suzuka - Sukoshi
Zandvoort - Zandkort
Last edited by aliman on Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RudyOosterndijk

aliman wrote: Barcelona - Barcelito
Hockenheim Long/old version - Hockenalt
Hockenheim Current version - Hockenklein
Suzuka - Sukoshi
Zandvoort - Zandkort
I like Hockenklein and Zandkort a lot. Hockenwald would refer to the old track layout through the woods.

I'm quite sure that the Catalan diminutive of Barcelona would be Barceloneta, but that's also the name of the main beach there. So, Barcelonella maybe. Also keep in mind that track names cannot be made of more than 12 characters to function properly in-game.

That's why Hermanitos Rodriguez doesn't work. :)
aliman

Post by aliman »

RudyOosterndijk wrote:Also keep in mind that track names cannot be made of more than 12 characters to function properly in-game.
Oh crap I forgot. Thanks for reminding. :up:

A lot of the official circuit names are long so it's going to be difficult. Also tracks named after people like Gilles Villeneuve or Hermanos Rodriguez are gonna be super difficult to shorten. Also the rules aren't that strict, they're more like guidelines. :D I think the only rule is that it starts with the same letter, other rules are more suggestions really. :) Like Hanoi circuit completely moved to another city for my mini version :D