GeneRally 2 - Kickstarter Launched

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: GeneRally 2 - Kickstarter Launched

Post by Mad Dan »

:iagree: there is a valid point :nod:.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

I think there is a valid point over there aswell, but in my opinion you can´t set all the wood on fire in the very first time, it is better to save some for the whole process. I am sure the team behind GR2 is working in the next Kickstarter promo with new videos, more news, more info etc. to encourage more people to support it. Looking at it, after some few days, almost 25% of the total amount got achieved, so I think it is quite positive.

Reember, share it with friends so they can get involved aswell.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Darjo wrote:I feel like the way the project is presented is a bit underwhelming. The fact that only one track is showed in the video is, in my opinion, a very bad mistake. One of the best features of GR is being able to easily create a lot of content (tracks, cars etc.).
That's a fair point - but coming into the weeks leading up to Kickstarter, it was fix bugs and performance issues or add extra tracks - we chose the former, as we'd rather have something a bit more stable with one track than a buggy mess with several.
Creating like 4-5 tracks doesn't take much time [...] assuming you have a working trackeditor.
And that's where the former assumption falls down - in their current state, things take a lot more effort to produce, as our entire creation process at this stage is a lot slower than a completed Track Editor.
Black Rebel wrote:I am sure the team behind GR2 is working in the next Kickstarter promo with new videos, more news, more info etc. to encourage more people to support it.
Markku and I have both put in a significant amount of time on the code-base since we launched Kickstarter. Markku's improvements you'll see directly sometime this week, in the way of a significant improvement to gameplay, etc. :) We should also have a brief video and/or developer blog to go with it - going over some of the detail Markku's been working on!
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

is it possible to have another month with kickstarter? i think slowly we can reach the funding aim. I'm really sorry that many generally players have not contributed to this project. is it possible to make a post in this website: http://www.virtualr.net/

once the new video/demo is out i will advertise it with some game racing live shows on the net like insidesimracing.tv
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

I got in touch with the virtualr.net guy... never answered.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Black Rebel wrote:I got in touch with the virtualr.net guy... never answered.
I doubt you'll get much from them, VR rarely covers anything less sim-oriented than Codemasters games...
I like short, simple signatures!
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

When will more material be available? To advertise a project you need to showcase your product. Most of us know what generally 1 was about, but many people out there have never heard of this game.

The demo is too little, short of features. What about more posters with screenshots with the features listed. What about when you exit demo a list of features will be listed so that users know what will the game have.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Patience. They are working on it. :) As for a features list, that is on the Kickstarter page.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
mayfly

Post by mayfly »

Finally got back from my holidays and onto a fast enough internet connection to get kickstarter loading =) Got in my backing and really hope that the 20k can be reached and surpassed. I've been looking forward to a new Generally for years now and this is a great start so far.

Will you be updating the Kickstarter page with pictures of the rewards? For me, I have played Generally for years so the primary goal for me is to back you as much as I can funding-wise for now and then look forward to the gameplay. But others might be more interested with seeing the rewards? I hope that it can attract more people and funding as it seems to have slowed down just for now.

Good luck =) and keep up the hard work!!!
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

With only 16 days left very little is being done.
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

jefcam wrote:With only 16 days left very little is being done.
At this point it's probably safe to say we're not going to make it. And to be honest it's not surprising, the features that have been presented to us are quite uninteresting for anybody beyond our small community.
Rampage.
Glen

Post by Glen »

And no press campaign has been maid... It's to late now guy's
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

This is what I call positivity... :mrgreen:

Camón guys, more than the 25% has been achieved and it is a lot! Be patient as the guys will find a way to get it done. First of all, and most needed is our community's support. So, let's help!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Quite frankly, considering how long we had to wait for something as half-hearted as this Kickstarter, it's hard for me to expect much from any finished product that comes out of this team.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

We´ve waited years for this become true ... and you are complaining about one or two month delay for the Kickstarter-Campaign? Really? And there is nothing half-hearted about this. They like the game just like we all do and they are working hard to bring us the sequel we´ve waited so long for. The original game was done by two brothers as a hobby and they didn´t even know that the community still exist - That i would call half-hearted. Not the effort we are seeing here!

Cu Crono
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

On the other hand, James told on previous Tuesday "sometime this week" and the campaign isn't extremely long matter, so it needs to be sort of intensive (certainly it doesn't provide a luxury of weeks to be simply wasted), so I cannot see anything extremely unfair from guys, if they voice some concerns aloud.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Trigger Happy wrote:On the other hand, James told on previous Tuesday "sometime this week" and the campaign isn't extremely long matter, so it needs to be sort of intensive (certainly it doesn't provide a luxury of weeks to be simply wasted), so I cannot see anything extremely unfair from guys, if they voice some concerns aloud.
Sadly you may be right here, considering the timescale involved with kickstarter this last week has passed very quietly. Coupled with the observations made by Darjo, its quite difficult to promote what GeneRally is about to the wider world - people it seems we will need the support of to reach the target.
Black Rebel
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Black Rebel »

But guys, after kickstarte they can find other ways to get more backing, so I am sure, even if it take some more months, that it will be working as expected.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Yeah, nothing is lost, not even the kickstarter yet. :boxing:
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Well, let me bring a bit of clarity here - I'd love to say you folks are wrong about this being a problem, but you're actually quite right that it's an issue... and one we've been pulling our hair out over for the past few days (I'm really not sure that I have much left at this point).

Basically, we've had a setback to our KS development plan, that was completely outside of our control, which has been resolved this afternoon. Whilst I can't go into any real details on it at the moment, we're basically running about 5 days behind on our plans. Our entire press campaign was/is geared around our development updates, and the tight schedule we had for updating the KS demo... and so we had to wait until we could clear the hurdle to ensure we could get back on track. This came at the absolutely worst possible time for us - and we could really have done with it coming before Kickstarter, or after Kickstarter, or really any time but right now - but it was out of our hands, and was just plainly unlucky :(

So what's happening now? Well, as I type this, Kimmo and Markku are finalising the build for the update that we're working like crazy to have out tonight/tomorrow - and then we're going to be working every spare minute we can find to get back on schedule, and to continue promoting the Kickstarter as wide and far as we can. Was this delay a bad thing to happen? Yup, it was obviously incredibly detrimental to the whole process. But was it something within our control? Unfortunately not - and if we could have pre-empted and avoided it, we would have!

The press campaign will begin in earnest as soon as we've got the new build out, and we've given it a couple of hours to check there aren't any major show-stopper problems for our testers.

It's not ideal, but we're still working like mad-men here to try and get back on track :) We also have a developer blog ready to go for you guys tomorrow, with Markku talking about something he's been working on!

Hopefully that helps to give some context to the past week!
Glen

Post by Glen »

yeah but it's still too late, in that case, KS should have been only in July.
tonyyeb

Post by tonyyeb »

A few too many armchair experts in this thread.
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Unanticipated delays are understandable. Probably it would have been best to be immediately forthcoming, as much as possible, instead of waiting until complaints got loud.

A common feature of failed crowd-funding initiatives is poor communication...
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

bduddy wrote:Unanticipated delays are understandable. Probably it would have been best to be immediately forthcoming, as much as possible, instead of waiting until complaints got loud.

A common feature of failed crowd-funding initiatives is poor communication...
You're quite right - definitely a mistake on our part, and this whole explanation will be part of the update we'll post on KS tomorrow as well, in a bid to improve communication (at the end of the day, we're developers, and not very experienced with marketing - but we're doing our best :bsmile: ).
Glen

Post by Glen »

It wasn't a marketing problem, just common sens. Keep going doing your best