[rwl] [stc] Newcastle Street Circuit

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

[rwl] [stc] Newcastle Street Circuit

Post by Crowella »

A street circuit you say :sherlock:

Located in Newcastle, Australia, this circuit was the replacement of the Sydney/Homebush street circuit and is (kind of) currently used for Supercars and other events. Hilly street circuit, quite fast, satisfying to get a good rhythm around. :goal:

Included in the zip:
Newcastle
Newcastle NL - A no lines version for easier vision

AI is for Formula. I've made them as fast as I can while being safe.

Enjoy! I sure did making it. Not looking forward to any more street circuit making for a while but I have others in mind :misch:

Note: Yes, I did use sunk tyres on the insides of some walls to make the racing a little bit more friendly :D
Attachments
newcastle.jpg
Newcastle.zip
(173.51 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
View my archived circuits/cars here
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [rwl] [stc] Newcastle Street Circuit

Post by XYY »

I like to believe it's satisfying to get a good rhythm here, but I didn't get one. 20 laps of helplessly bouncing between the walls :scared: Although I was getting better in the end, I still ended up bouncing from the left wall to the right, to the left, to the left... I leave it up to your imagination how it continues. Did I get lapped? yes. Am I proud of it? no. :? The AI constantly lapped .5 to 1 seconds faster than I, even when I didn't hit every wall...

Looking at the aearial photo, you again did a great job with the receation of ths circuit. Great work with the hmap around the tram rails, that's just what I would expect there :cool2: While I'm in general a fan of the "sunk tyre walls" replacing stacked "rounded" concrete walls, I think you overdid it in the bottom left corner... :scratch:
The Hmap is very well worked and adds to the challenge of this track. I feel that it was quite narrow, but maybe that's my limited driving skill... :ouch:
It reminds me a little bit of Adelaide, if you look at the layout and reverse it, you're almost there :mrgreen: Since I'm not so much into what's happening in V8SC right now, my enthusiasm isn't as big as e.g. when Maciej1 released his Homebush Circuit, but I hope that someone who missed this track will have found it now. :bg:
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

The rhythm is really hard to get here, it requires a lot of concentration so I wouldn't stress too much about being perfect, I'm yet to really do a quick clean race. I did try to make it a real challenge and something I inadvertently learned while doing so was to make a bit more room for street circuits :o If I didn't learn that nearer the end, it would have either been WS255 or 1 or 2 pixels wider but I did try make up for that where I could :bsmile:

Hahahah I'm laughing because the one thing you mentioned about the bottom corner was the absolute last thing I changed (added more) because of testing with AI (and admittedly hitting the second corner wall), so it was changed out of necessity and ease :scared: Also the other thing about the tram line HMap, that made me so happy :goodvibes: I noticed the obscene line cars were taking in watching replays so I wondered how to recreate it as I felt it was essential to the character :D

Thank you once again! Fun fact, this is about 10 mins away from where I study and on a day I had lots of time to kill I did a circuit walk so I actually had photos and references to go by :goal: (The real tram line isn't as rough to walk or drive over but I can easily see how it would unsettle a car especially after exiting a corner)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Well, if it's so close to where you study... I can totally see myself going through the streets and looking for all the details to recreate them in GR :mrgreen: And actually, I looked at the tram line in Street View. wish they were so smooth in the area where I live (especially as a cyclist it's really bad). Especially in the town where I lived until ~1 year ago, you really were "bumping" from one side of the road over to the tram part, anxious to cross it at a certain angle to not get stuck with your wheel. I can see race cars unsettle at such a place like in the track you did here, I see them destroy their spoilers in my area :P
(If you're interested, take a look here: s**tty road :D )
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Yeah the ones here are definitely not like that, although I wish we did have more HMap resolution to recreate more bumps. The lines here only very recent (like 5 years old) and were to replace the rail that is located next to it (the buildings in the very top left are the old station, now a converted park/recreational area). Partly glad because any time I drove I had to cross the rail and that was hellish, but I digress.

Oddly enough, the bit I found fun was creating the "almost jumps" of the intersections. I wonder if some GR cars lift :shhh:
Txizzle

Post by Txizzle »

Given it a few runs, and i must say....i like that it is challenging when it comes to rythm/flow. Ran it in a championship, didn't win the race, but did have fastest lap. :mrgreen: It kept me sharp during a dull run (i often run on a random selection of tracks). ;)
To finish first, first you have to finish!
enderracer

Post by enderracer »

Oh my lord, what an challenging and deeply satisfying track! When I got the pace and the rhytm, I felt a bit like Senna in Monaco in the wet. "I saw God." :P I felt like the river running wild. Wosh, wosh, slalom, slamming the breaks and woosh fast corner and flat out! And when tyrewear was like 50/50, it was just flat out. No breaking. :D :P
Thanks so much for this. Looking forward to your next creation, when you got the time. But this, together with your other tracks will keep me entertained for days.