[ral] Sandillage

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

[ral] Sandillage

Post by TuomoH »

Felt like making another track after being inspired by one of the expinmin5 tracks. Here's the result, a WS100 rally track with a crossing for some sweet mayhem.

The AI has been designed for General.

Feel free to comment and criticize. :cool2:
Attachments
sandillage.jpg
sandillage.zip
(25.45 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
DuklaLiberec

Re: [ral] Sandillage

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Very nice idea and it's also nice to drive, though it's a muddy track..... And the Lmap is pretty good, too.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I'd consider wilder hmap (some hills bellow objects out of racing layout or on opposite some water areas), because the hmap & lmap don't seem to have any relation to object placement (you can easily choose completely other layout without need to touch the hmap or dithering), the hmap could create stronger link between them. And also I noticed, that you successfully ignored all types of walls out of hay bales (again). Finally nothing against your need to cumulate the telephone poles into flocks :D, but here I can imagine just about 1/3-1/2 of them being enough on this map. :scratch:

In sum nice development of the sandy micro track, but wouldn't call it a breakthrough, which would shock or surprise me by anything. :)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Thanks, mates. :)
Trigger Happy wrote:I'd consider wilder hmap (some hills bellow objects out of racing layout or on opposite some water areas), because the hmap & lmap don't seem to have any relation to object placement (you can easily choose completely other layout without need to touch the hmap or dithering), the hmap could create stronger link between them.
Actually, there is a link between them but it's not obvious from the final product. ;) Anyway, I see what you're after but I decided to do what I did with the sandy micro track, hence no wilder hmap.
And also I noticed, that you successfully ignored all types of walls out of hay bales (again).
It was a conscious decision. I thought about fences but then decided against them.
Finally nothing against your need to cumulate the telephone poles into flocks :D, but here I can imagine just about 1/3-1/2 of them being enough on this map. :scratch:
It's surely something that'll irritate many people but what can you do, I like them. :D
In sum nice development of the sandy micro track, but wouldn't call it a breakthrough, which would shock or surprise me by anything. :)
Yes, it's just natural continuation of that micro track that I made quite fast, less than 3 hours including a food break and website update. :) But I hope to continue pursuing this style and see what comes out of it.

Other comments?
Primeracer

Post by Primeracer »

Wel i think a track concept to be a micro, must to be really a micro Ivo... In the point that are nothing special to define a given layout it's because he made this track a way that become very natural with no addition of some sort of road over the landscape it seemed a little with my alterative version Agrestina. The hmap as long as i can see this was made not to be hilly or rocky like my Petra but made to have a rough plain surface.

About the dithering i see this was processed by some sort of technique i don't know, for me it would be very complicated to reproduce that one by using just MS Paint like me on all dithering.

There are something seemd a little foggy to myself though. It's about that poles... i've personally cannot see where you wanted with it.
Try other tracks by myself: Agrestina -Tristar - Petra
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Thanks for the comment, Primeracer. :)
Primeracer wrote:Wel i think a track concept to be a micro, must to be really a micro Ivo...
Ivo means that I first made a micro track with this theme (in expinmin5) and then continued the theme with this track, not that this is a micro track.
In the point that are nothing special to define a given layout it's because he made this track a way that become very natural with no addition of some sort of road over the landscape it seemed a little with my alterative version Agrestina.
Agrestina was actually a little bit of inspiration for this track. :cool2:
About the dithering i see this was processed by some sort of technique i don't know, for me it would be very complicated to reproduce that one by using just MS Paint like me on all dithering.
Yes, I've used somewhat automated processes, it's not possible with MS Paint.
There are something seemd a little foggy to myself though. It's about that poles... i've personally cannot see where you wanted with it.
I treat them as if they are a sort of tree. :D

Other opinions?
Primeracer

Post by Primeracer »

Hummm... :scratch: You try to got some type of arid like vegetation with the poles, in Generally trackmaking it's a constant to we need using some objects in order to make them appear to be another thing, because we have a sort of objects to use for a whole of possibilities... It's complicated because people can see these itens not the way you are seem forcing you to explain.

I'm linking these trally off-road tracks made with a sand based lmap, i think i got an track that doesn't appears to be a desert even with less threes with Petra, so a want to see more sand based tracks even if do simply was made to be a deserr, or an semi-arid, i think that Sandillage (Sand village?) seemed a little semi-arid like?
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Primeracer wrote:It's complicated because people can see these itens not the way you are seem forcing you to explain.
Yes it indeed is but I don't mind as long as the track looks good to myself. :)
i think that Sandillage (Sand village?) seemed a little semi-arid like?
You're quite right with this being semi-arid, and yes, it's a short for sand village. :nod:
ACM

Post by ACM »

I personally like it whenever you release an abstract track. It's a nice change from all the highly detailed, real world tracks that get posted here which can get monotonous at times.
Primeracer

Post by Primeracer »

ACM wrote:I personally like it whenever you release an abstract track. It's a nice change from all the highly detailed, real world tracks that get posted here which can get monotonous at times.
:scratch: Let me quote you about this.. because there are options avaliable to these highly "photoshop factored" RWL, if you check some of my posts, and others here you will see high quality in lmaps on fictional, rally and others track types thet would recieve, ok i must admit i want to point on my tracks as a example of works that have another concept on lmap editing as an example

I think the interest on ficitonal tracks wopuld to come back to the top, because on Generally the main tracks sopuld to be that who match the game main proposal like it started with Rabina brothers. Rwl... is nice on GR but would to dominate on rFactor as a example of a game much more proposed to this... but Generally not... here the main thing is on fictional circuits, rally tracks, stunt, arcade like tracks plus indeed creative layout/lmap/hmap effect tracks.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Well, everyone has their own preferences and many people like rwl's but I've also always been more of a fan of other types of tracks, that's why I make tracks like these instead of rwl's - and also because there are so good rwl makers that there's no need for me to try. ;)

Thanks for the comment, ACM. :)

Someone else has something to say?
Glen

Post by Glen »

TuomoH wrote:Well, everyone has their own preferences and many people like rwl's but I've also always been more of a fan of other types of tracks, that's why I make tracks like these instead of rwl's - and also because there are so good rwl makers that there's no need for me to try. ;)
I agree! :up:

I like your tack! And your AI line works also work with other cars!
But I would like drive it clockwise :rofl:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Thanks, Glen. :) Feel free to edit the track to clockwise direction for your own use. ;)

Other comments?