[ral] [oth] [tpk] Xplore pack

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Kikwik

[ral] [oth] [tpk] Xplore pack

Post by Kikwik »

What is nice with Generally is the freedom to create other gameplay than just racing on a circuit. We have football, trial, ski, skateboard, catch me if you can track, hot pursuit,...

What I wanted to do is to create a track with a gameplay that we didn't seen before in Generally. So I came with the idea of exploration, searching something somewhere.

It may seems simple at first glance, but think about treasure's hunt, maze, saving someone from a snowslide in a limited time...

So here's my modest contribution, not polished at a high degree, but interesting enough to bring something new to GeneRally : Xplore Pack.
Xplore F.jpg
Xplore J.jpg
Xplore Pack.zip
(253.99 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
At the beginning, I was thinking to create much more tracks like this, but I ended up with only one environment plus a bonus track which I think was never done before ; a split screen track, like you can see in the picture of Xplore J. You must have 2 human players ; the first one with a boat (I choose Banana Boys from Masa) and the second one with a jeep (I choose General Jeep by Masa again, but you can take other off-road vehicles at your taste). Set one lap-turn. You begin exploration with the boat and when you find the checkpoint, you continue exploration with the jeep, by land. When both players have finished their turn, or by other words found the mysterious golden cities, you finished the track.
For Xplore F family, you may also set 1 lap.

If you have hard times to find the hidden spot, you can right click on each track (apart from Xplore J) and right click on my name. You will see one word, a hint to discover where to go precisely. You can also go in TE (Track Editor) and ruin the pleasure to search, but please do it only when you really struggle and begin to curse me with lot of weird animals names. :D

I don't spend much time on this, because I have a big project in mind since the beginning of my track making period... I hope I can do it soon. :roll:

As always, tell me if anything's wrong, or drop a comment or a cookie as you want, both are good. :yummy:

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
YoNnie

Re: [ral] [oth] [tpk] Xplore pack

Post by YoNnie »

It looks really marvellous! Really detailed, with high-quality lmap level :)
By the way, these tracks show magic of GR - with that small WS, after such a long time, this game looks really cool and don't bother our eyes.
Unfortunately, that's not my kind of tracks, but definately well done effort :)
ALL TRACKS
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks for your comment YoNnie ! :bsmile:

I agree with you, the graphics are now from a very old computer era, but still enjoyable due to its simpleness and cuteness. Also discovering what some guys can do with only 40 polygons and 30 vertices for cars, a pack of pixels and 13 colors for tracks is just incredible. :nod:
Unfortunately, that's not my kind of tracks, but definately well done effort :)
Matter of taste, so no problem. ;)

Also I'm well aware that those kind of tracks have very low replayability (once you find the hidden spot, well... it's finished ! :D ) but I think it deserves existence only to show all possibilities available for GR tracks.

Thanks again ! :bsmile:

Hormous

Post by Hormous »

Cool tracks Kikwik! :bg: Makes me want to resume some creative projects I left apart...
Kikwik wrote: If you have hard times to find the hidden spot, you can right click on each track (apart from Xplore J) and right click on my name. You will see one word, a hint to discover where to go precisely.
Use the description of the track as part of the game is truly ingenious, :artist: I suggest to first read the hint and then search for the spot...at least I prefer this way, rather than going clueless through the track. (anyway Nr.4 "Sorrounded" was the thoughest for me :rolleyes: ).

Also very interesting the idea of the car switch to complete Xplore J :scratch: ...thanks for this new GR experience! :D
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Thanks a lot Hormous ! :hug:

It's always a pleasure to have some feedback of someone who actually play to the tracks, and I really wanted to know about it, since it's not what we have the habit to see in GR.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed it, and I feel the same way than you for the hint, it's better to have a goal when we play to something. And it's really hard with one word to give a hint without saying the answer too clearly. It must be mysterious enough but at the same time showing a direction to go. :sweatdrop:

And for the idea to play with 2 cars by the same player, I had it when I wanted to create a split screen track (two exactly same circuits side by side, separated, with one player on a side and the other player the other side). But soon after I had the idea to make a 'search and find' track, so I merged both idea. Wanted something refreshing and new.

Thanks again ! :bsmile:
Makes me want to resume some creative projects I left apart...
Go ahead ! I'm really curious now and if it's something creative, you have my full support ! :bg: