[cir] Atra

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
aliman

[cir] Atra

Post by aliman »

Atra is a fairly simple, nothing fancy, "old school-ish" track somewhere in the warmer parts of the world. The mountain in the middle may look a bit comical, but for me it is an accomplishment, since I rarely do anything out of the ordinary with hmaps. Look of the track (or rather the landscape around) inspired by tracks like Balcarce and El Zonda by Black Rebel.

Fun, nice and simple enough, just the way it's supposed to be :D
Have fun and enjoy!

EDIT: Updated pit AI line and all drawings are original creations now! :up:
EDIT 2: You have my permission to use the car and flag drawings for your own tracks.
I don't know why but the track immediately looked like a duck to me :D Or maybe a rabbit? You decide ;)
[attachment=2]RabbitOrDuck.JPG[/attachment]
Atra New.JPG
Atra.rar
(70.72 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Attachments
RabbitOrDuck.JPG
Last edited by aliman on Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [cir] Atra

Post by TuomoH »

This is very good work. :bg: The track looks nice, and I think that mountain works too. Good job with the lmap paintings as well, my favorite being the electric lines in the upper part. I also like driving here. The hmap isn't pronounced but works as it should. :cool2:

Also, the AI is competetive but the pit AI line goes too close to the pit crew, causing sometimes problems with the AI hitting other cars off. Not sure if it's due to using original Formula. However, that's the only complaint. :)

Oh, and I think it's a bunny. A bunny slipper maybe. :D
aliman

Post by aliman »

TuomoH wrote:Good job with the lmap paintings as well, my favorite being the electric lines in the upper part.
Thanks! :up:
What are the rules regarding using someone else's drawings? Because none of the car drawings are my original creations, I just copied them from someone's track. :worried:

But I've definitely seen same drawings in different authors tracks. Flags are also "stolen" from someone else. But there's only so many ways of doing a flag. For instance, the French flag is my "original" creation since I only copied Argentinian and Italian flags. :D
TuomoH wrote:Also, the AI is competetive but the pit AI line goes too close to the pit crew, causing sometimes problems with the AI hitting other cars off.
Sometimes (on other tracks) the AI drives to the pit box like you would drive in to a garage (and lose a lot of time), which I find infuriating. So I may have over corrected on this track to avoid that. :)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

aliman wrote:What are the rules regarding using someone else's drawings? Because none of the car drawings are my original creations, I just copied them from someone's track. :worried:

But I've definitely seen same drawings in different authors tracks. Flags are also "stolen" from someone else. But there's only so many ways of doing a flag. For instance, the French flag is my "original" creation since I only copied Argentinian and Italian flags. :D
The rules are pretty straight-forward: you can not use anything from other people's creations without their permission. I'm pretty sure someone has at some point released their lmap cars for everyone to use. However, I don't know if they are these cars or not. The same goes for the flags: you're absolutely right that there are only so many was of doing a flag, for instance, but you should do it yourself nevertheless.

I have no doubt that some people are using "stolen" drawings but we only act if someone can prove it. I thank you for mentioning this :hattip: but now I have to ask you to post a new version of track with either no said drawings or altered drawings. Consider this a verbal warning but nothing else will come from this.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I don't think there's anything even remotely wrong with copying some small elements of others' tracks without permission, or imitating other creators' style. It might be bad for your reputation and you won't become a renowned trackmaker without developing your own approach, but I'm sure that everything that is not a blatant rip-off of others' work will pass.

I mean, I'm aware there might be some custom policy of the forum, but a rule like "you cannot copy anything" is just not enforceable (how do you prove you were the first who used that track element? and what if I had permission to copy something from an author, but that author also copied that from someone else, without permission?), and actually has no legal power (but that's for another discussion).

So as long as the Administrator doesn't feel you crossed the line you don't have to worry :P
Danador12

Post by Danador12 »

I will not entry in the discussion about copying, i want to talk about the track. I like it very much even if i am not able to win any race until now :lol: :lol:
It's clearly a duck and the mountains are cool, they haven't any problems :D
Waiting for other of your work! :bg:

P.S: I've noticed you have zommed the pitlane :D :D
zgr

Post by zgr »

Well, about copying LMap details, I feel there is a fine line between what should be allowed and what is a no-go. I remember checking on other circuits as I draw cars and stuff on my tracks. At the end, some of them looked like I copy/paste them aswell. Small objects like cars, flags, helicopters... I see so many tracks where they look alike. I don't feel like it's worth the drama :shrug:
They LMap objects from for example Maciej's artisitic tracks. If you copy them, that's a big no from my side. :talkth:
About the track, I like it, great job again :bg: The HMap is really challenging actually (with the cars I use), specially Turn 1 and Turn 5?! (right hand side of the mountain). Great to see that you put some work on your HMap Skills :) did you use the HMap Editor for this track? :P

Two things:
1. The moveable road cones in Turn 1. I guess you use them as some kind of soft wall? :scratch: Interesting way to do it, I don't know how to feel about it tho :D
2. The AI Pit lane IS to close to the pit crews, thats true (TuomoH already mentioned it)

But after all, great track, fun to drive on, brilliant job Aliman :up:
Hello.
aliman

Post by aliman »

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you're enjoying the track :goodvibes:
zgr wrote:The HMap is really challenging actually (with the cars I use), specially Turn 1 and Turn 5?! (right hand side of the mountain). Great to see that you put some work on your HMap Skills :) did you use the HMap Editor for this track? :P
Mountain is made with HMap editor, but otherwise hmap is made with snake editor. I tried using hmap editor for other things, like more hardcore beginning of main straight, more banking all around and other stuff outside the track, but it wasn't very pretty. :D

Turn 5 (or 4? :D) was actually inspired by Portimao Circuit in Portugal. When I heard it was coming on the F1 calendar I started watching onboards and that one hairpin drops down like crazy. I just knew I had to do something similar :)

Movable road cones, yes. :D Idea came from Marco's Kyalami and I absolutely loved it, so I thought I'd give it a go. I suppose they're a soft wall or even a tire wall of sorts since they can bounce onto the track if you hit them. But I really like the idea and will be using it in future tracks as well.
Danador12 wrote:P.S: I've noticed you have zommed the pitlane :D :D
I don't quite understand. What do you mean? :D

---

Track is now updated with my own cars and flags (also fixed AI pit entry)! New version and a picture are in the first post.

I'm glad I managed to spur some conversation about this, perhaps a bit touchy, subject.
Though I've only recently registered, I've been playing generally for maybe 15+ years. One of the reasons I hadn't registered before was that I never really understood the reasons for strict rules. But regardless how I feel about these rules, they are the same for everyone else as well.

I've copied things before (for personal use), but never anything bigger than a car. And now that I've drawn my own cars I won't have to do that anymore. :D So definitely something good came out of this. :up:

PS. Thank you RudyOosterndijk :up:
Last edited by aliman on Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Still about the copying issue: I understand why you guys are saying that it shouldn't matter that much if some minor things are copied. I actually agree with you! However, it's very difficult to draw the line between what would be ok and what not and that's why we have decided to have this strict policy. It's much easier to draw the line here. I'm open for more discussion but then we could continue it in another thread at some other section. :)

Thanks to Aliman for the update. :up:
Danador12

Post by Danador12 »

TuomoH wrote:we could continue it in another thread at some other section.

Yes, that's a interesting idea. There could be a intersesting discussion! :meditate:
aliman wrote:I don't quite understand. What do you mean?
Sorry, i wasn't clear.
I mean that when you uploaded Allini i wrote that the only complaint about the track was the pit entrance for me, too narrow. Now, in Atra i noticed that the pitlane is larger that your previous work, so that's a good thing :D :bg:
aliman

Post by aliman »

Danador12 wrote:i wrote that the only complaint about the track was the pit entrance for me, too narrow.
Ok now I get it. :doh: So I've made at least some progress. :up:

I updated first post with important message. If you want to, you can use the cars and flags for your own tracks! I hope this is the "correct" way to give permission. :D

But I would encourage anyone to draw their own nonetheless. I thought, after seeing some of the very artistic creations on this forum, that I would never be able to draw something as nice. But now I've drawn pretty decent looking cars and even a quite cool airplane (you'll see in the future :misch: ).

Off topic: How do I "attach" a link to a word? :D Like for example in my previous message I talked about Marco's Kyalami and I would have loved to put a link to that track which you could reach by clicking either Marco or Kyalami. Hopefully you understand what I meant. :D
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

aliman wrote:
Danador12 wrote: Off topic: How do I "attach" a link to a word? :D Like for example in my previous message I talked about Marco's Kyalami and I would have loved to put a link to that track which you could reach by clicking either Marco or Kyalami. Hopefully you understand what I meant. :D
Use the URL button just like you would. But instead of pasting the URL in between, do it like this:

Code: Select all

[url=http://forum.generally-racers.com/viewtopic.php?p=109888#p109888]This is the text to which your link is "attached".[/url]
Or just hover over the URL button (or the other buttons) for more documentation of the respective board feature.

Btw. Your LMAP looks good either way. At first I was not able to spot the difference at all. :)