[cir] Zunzelina

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

[cir] Zunzelina

Post by AleksiNir »

Hey everyone!

I made a new track :) Quite often I get the feeling that I'd like to make a track, but the required effort seems insurmountable. Now the urge was so strong and I got an idea for a simple enough track, so here we are. I really enjoyed making this track!

I strongly recommend to play the track in a 16:9 resolution, but there is a version in the .zip for 4:3 resolutions as well.

The track and the AI are designed for the original Formula.

Have fun and lemme know what you think! :bsmile:
Attachments
shot0000.png
Zunzelina.zip
(125.18 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [cir] Zunzelina

Post by XYY »

I also quickly tested this track. The AI give a really hard run for their money, I managed to finish 5th in the second race I did, only because I made one AI cars miss a lap :sweatdrop: That last corner is really evil, also I didn't really get into the flow of this track and often missed the first corner as well. My will to master this track was not strong enough right now... :evil:

Graphically I like the track very much, it's simple, but the objects are placed in a very organic way and I really like the grass texture. I don't quite like that WMF logo but that's probably just me. A really good track in my eyes.
Unfortunately I had to change my resolution, because 16:10 is apparently not "widescreen" enough :P I think if you would have put a bit more effort in the 4:3 version in the scenery in the back, one version would have been sufficient, but I can also live with how you made it.
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

XYY wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:23 pmThe AI give a really hard run for their money, I managed to finish 5th in the second race I did, only because I made one AI cars miss a lap :sweatdrop: That last corner is really evil, also I didn't really get into the flow of this track and often missed the first corner as well. My will to master this track was not strong enough right now... :evil:
I'm not sure if I should consider this feedback to be positive or negative :D I exchanged some thoughts with TuomoH about making the AI too competent when I posted the updated version of Pumpkin Laek. I feared I may have done it here and it seems to be the case :doh:
XYY wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:23 pmUnfortunately I had to change my resolution, because 16:10 is apparently not "widescreen" enough :P I think if you would have put a bit more effort in the 4:3 version in the scenery in the back, one version would have been sufficient, but I can also live with how you made it.
I will admit that the 4:3 version was a mere afterthought. I'm rather unyielding about wanting to get the POV to be as close to the action as possible, which often results in an unoptimal response in other aspect ratios :shrug: Your critisicm is totally fair, but personally I leave no room for compromise - it's either the full experience or nothing :misch:
XYY wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:23 pmI really like the grass texture
I'm really pleased with how it looks, too. I first used this style in Limlog, but I made a big improvement on it here. I had some ideas for a scenery with more objects, but I think that after I succeeded so well with this texture, I was confident in using such few objects.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts, XYY. :shaking:

As a side note, I noted that I said the same thing about wanting to make tracks, but being encumbered by the effort, and then getting a simple idea to go through with, when I posted Piazza San Bob almost 6 years ago. That's pretty interesting :scratch:
MattyG

Post by MattyG »

Simple and beautiful my kind of track, I cant fault anything here the ai is very challenging, object placement is on point.

good job :)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

It's really great looking one. Your hmaps are usually challenging and sometimes IMO even too "violent" (not following the sense of layout in an organic way), but here it's both difficulct and everything IMO on spot. 5/5 :up:
AleksiNir
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by AleksiNir »

Thanks Matty & Ivo :bsmile:

Ivo, I will not challenge your accusations towards my hmaps of the past... The argument is valid :mrgreen: Looking back at many of my past tracks, I feel that somehow I've both tried too hard and not tried hard enough with them... If that makes any sense. :scratch:

Is there somebody yet who wishes to voice their opinion? :gpush:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

What a lovely track! :yummy: I'd say everything here is spot on. The hmap complements the layout and is enjoyable, especially the last corner and sliding towards the wall, barely missing it. The visuals work nicely too, especially the lmap, and that light/pole combination is a great detail. If I have to find a downside, it's the AI being a tad too fast. Or maybe I just haven't learned the track enough yet. :D