[cir] Lake Koenig

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Rebellion765

[cir] Lake Koenig

Post by Rebellion765 »

It's been a loooong time (and I'm sure most of you guys don't remember or haven't even heard of me before), but I'm finally back with a new track - Lake Koenig.

Lake Koenig is a modern, very fast and tricky course. Keeping your momentum is the key for better lap times.
The track location is based on Königssee, a natural lake in the extreme southeast Berchtesgadener Land district of the German state of Bavaria.

For the best racing experience, medium to high downforce cars are recommended. AI line was designed and tested with the original Formula in mind.

I hope you have fun racing at this track as much as I did while making it. Also, let me know what you think about it :up:
Attachments
Lake Koenig.zip
(77.54 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Lake Koenig preview.jpg
Last edited by Rebellion765 on Sat May 22, 2021 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rebellion765
Formerly known as IndyCARman and Shifted.
Latest track: Lake Koenig | Latest car: Dallara SF19
Steam profile | I post about Ridge Racer at Lucid Rhythms
YoNnie

Re: [cir] Lake Koenig

Post by YoNnie »

First, it looks similar to this and this, which doesn't mean there's something wrong, because I really enjoy circuits around lakes and I'm okay with it (I also did the track like this!)
Unfortunately, wall placement could be done better (if you aren't using GRHmapEditor by Mlnynki, I recommend it, that's fantastic tool), the circuit layout could be smoother and it looks like it lose some of its width in some turns. Also I'm not a fan of circuit dithering, but it's my subjective opinion. However I really like the scenery in and outside the track and that's the huge advantage of your work!
ALL TRACKS
Rebellion765

Post by Rebellion765 »

YoNnie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:56 am First, it looks similar to this and this, which doesn't mean there's something wrong, because I really enjoy circuits around lakes and I'm okay with it (I also did the track like this!)
Unfortunately, wall placement could be done better (if you aren't using GRHmapEditor by Mlnynki, I recommend it, that's fantastic tool), the circuit layout could be smoother and it looks like it lose some of its width in some turns. Also I'm not a fan of circuit dithering, but it's my subjective opinion. However I really like the scenery in and outside the track and that's the huge advantage of your work!
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you liked the track! The walls and the other objects were placed using the vanilla track editor. I only used GRHMEdit for the Hmap, and I had no idea I could place objects using it. :doh:
The track width was deliberately edited at some sections to create more overtake opportunities, make it less exploitable and more challenging overall.
Rebellion765
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

Rebellion765 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:39 pm The track width was deliberately edited at some sections to create more overtake opportunities, make it less exploitable and more challenging overall.
What I mean is especially smoothness in the corners. I don't know how to explain it wisely, but layout white border has pixel 'steps' in many places. I know sometimes it's simply impossible to overcome it but I also know that it's possible to often make it smoother. In the picture below is one of these corners which could be done smooth. Unfortunately GR isn't real life ( :weep: ) so that layout manipulation doens't force AI (or us) to treating the racing line differently, so it could be made with a straighter line
Attachments
shot1.PNG
shot1.PNG (24.01 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
ALL TRACKS
Rebellion765

Post by Rebellion765 »

YoNnie wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:53 pm
Rebellion765 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:39 pm The track width was deliberately edited at some sections to create more overtake opportunities, make it less exploitable and more challenging overall.
What I mean is especially smoothness in the corners. I don't know how to explain it wisely, but layout white border has pixel 'steps' in many places. I know sometimes it's simply impossible to overcome it but I also know that it's possible to often make it smoother. In the picture below is one of these corners which could be done smooth. Unfortunately GR isn't real life ( :weep: ) so that layout manipulation doens't force AI (or us) to treating the racing line differently, so it could be made with a straighter line
Oh, I see now. I personally think it's not that bad, maybe the camera angle has something to do with this too, but I'll keep an eye on this for my future projects. :up:
Rebellion765
aliman

Post by aliman »

Nice track! I love the bottom right corner of the track! :up: That combination of sand + soft and concrete wall really brings back memories from like 2005. I forgot how good it can look when done right :D
Rebellion765

Post by Rebellion765 »

aliman wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:38 pm Nice track! I love the bottom right corner of the track! :up: That combination of sand + soft and concrete wall really brings back memories from like 2005. I forgot how good it can look when done right :D
Thanks! I went for this combo because I'm kinda sick of using hay bales all the time :D
Rebellion765
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

I love driving here. It's got a challenge but it's very fast at the same time. The atmosphere at the lake works well. The downside for me is the AI which is quite slow (I used the original Formula). It's a nice track anyway. :)

Speaking of Enna Pergusa - fun fact: the WIP name of my Lakeview Dr was Enna. :mrgreen:
Rebellion765

Post by Rebellion765 »

TuomoH wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:46 pm I love driving here. It's got a challenge but it's very fast at the same time. The atmosphere at the lake works well. The downside for me is the AI which is quite slow (I used the original Formula). It's a nice track anyway. :)

Speaking of Enna Pergusa - fun fact: the WIP name of my Lakeview Dr was Enna. :mrgreen:
Thanks!
I tried to make a "safe" AI line...in the previous versions I had, they were slightly faster but used to crash a lot, especially when battling for positions.
Rebellion765