[cir] Trial Mountain

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Scholl
GeneRally Trackmaster

[cir] Trial Mountain

Post by Scholl »

After Autumnring, Apricot Hill and Deep Forest I tried myself on another original Gran Turismo track.

I wanted to stay as close to the original as possible.
But the track and the surroundings have changed a lot over each iteration of the GT series.
And I soon realised that I don´t have the patience to stick to every detail. In the end I rushed it a little bit just to get the track done.

Also I decided against recreating the tunnels. They just would have looked silly anyways with gates or bridges.

Anyways, I hope you have fun. Criticism is very welcome!

PS: What´s that there in the water??? :shock:
Attachments
trial.JPG
Trial Mountain.zip
(68.69 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
MotoPunk

Re: [cir] Trial Mountain

Post by MotoPunk »

Was psyched to pull up the forum and see Trial Mountain today, definitely one of my favorite original tracks from GT. You did a really good job recreating the experience here.

Crashed and burned quite a few times on this course but once I got a handle on the Hmap its great to drive. I think the toughest challenge is the view angle . Trying to see the track ahead and get the car ready when it disappears behind the trees adds a lot to the challenge.

Regarding your thoughts on the tunnels; I do understand you point of view, however, I feel that the tunnels are part of the tracks character. Opposite to Grand valley speedway where exiting the tunnel onto the bridge provides a moment of respite the tunnel in trial mountain almost provides a sense of anticipation. Maybe it would be possible to implement a slotted tunnel???

I'd also love to see a reverse option but I realize that's already more work on top of everything you've done. Overall great job! :up:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

This is a good one! The track is a blast to drive and the AI is competetive. I haven't played any GT's in years (I had the first and second) so I don't really remember this and because of that I don't miss the tunnels. :D My only complaint would be that there are too many trees to my liking. That doesn't stop me from playing the track, though. Well done! :up:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

As well as TuomoH, I don't really remember much of the track (I played GT 2 and 4 ages ago, but it was never my own PS, so I only played it occasionally). I remember there were some tunnels, but I can't tell where. :D
Anyway, regarding this GR track: I can't tell how much this is an accurate representation of the original track. I really like the cliff texture and I also appreciate what you've done with the scenery, given that the original track hasn't got any infield to fill (I built a similar track from an old PC game once and I know that problem very well :D ). Also I think that the track has a great atmosphere in general, especially because of the variating white and yellow road markings. The AI line is good, but not too good, I managed to finish first after getting the hang on it :bg:
There are some minor things which I dislike: First, I suppose that the yellow and yellow-red markings on the outside of the track are "advertisment walls". If you meant to create them as Lmap objects, the perspective doesn't work so good, especially in the top left corner. Secondly, I'm a little bit confused why you used ice as walls, when there is a perfectly matching object in GR (the Armco wall)? Lastly, I feel that the paddock area was created hastily and it is showing there.
Anyway, it's a good looking and driving track, keep it up :)