[rwl] [cir] Sportsland Sugo

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

[rwl] [cir] Sportsland Sugo

Post by Crowella »

The real world track binge continues with Sportsland Sugo. Located in Japan, primarily used for the Super Formula series and some motobikes, really fun quick circuit nestled in the forest. :D

Included is two layouts:
Sugo - (Standard layout)
Sugo C - (Chicane layout)

AI is for Formula as is most usual with my circuits. Enjoy as always! :goodvibes:

This one took me a bit longer than I expected and to top it off, I had both my tablet pen and my mouse both become casualties while making this :shock: :ouch:
Attachments
Sugo.jpg
Sugo.zip
(250.31 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
View my archived circuits/cars here
Serginho

Re: [rwl] [cir] Sportsland Sugo

Post by Serginho »

This track is very good!
SR|12
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I can't say much about the authenticity of this track, I don't really know this one in real life... but unfortunately I don't like it as much as your other newer tracks, like Symmons Plains. I can see that you put a lot of effort into making the scenery, but I don't like the result as much... :confused: The roads and the parkings are way too small compared to the actual player's cars. I don't really see the need to make it like that, because in most areas where the roads are running, it looks like the roads could have been 2 - 4 px wider with ease. Like in Symmons Plains you chose to not put landmap cars... Those empty parking spots look wrong IMO. Another thing which I have already seen at your Sachsenring (but here it disturbs me even more) are the "rounded stacked concrete walls". I believe you placed them with Snakeditor? It may be personal preference, but in my eyes it doesn't look good when a normal sized wall is "blown up" to the double of its original width, if the radius is small. You actually have a solution for this already, like shown at the pit exit wall on the inside... I think this looks a lot better already. Or you could also try to simply accept the "edgyness" (that's often my way of coping with these problems ;) ). Lastly, I think the Kerbs look a little bit messy. I appreciate that you did the research to find so many different types of kerbs. But I think it would look better if you would reduce it to max. 2 stlyes over the entire track. The kerb on the short straight in the bottom-left certainly looks veeery messy... :scratch: Also, was the inside of the straight between corners 1 and two meant to be made out of ice? :D
What are those few white dots on the S-F-straight meant to show?

The AI is very strong. I didn't have the glimpse of a chance :D

Like at Arundel, I seem to focus on the bad things even more here than when I comment other tracks. Don't be dragged down by it, it's nevertheless a very good track :) For instance, I very much appreciate the trass dithering in the grass araeas which are a little bit bigger, the object placement is very good (apart from what I said about the walls) and all the scenery objects are also placed very carefully, as far as I can see it... :)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

Hey, they're all fair criticisms! I can try address them all, or at least the reasoning to them because nothing you said is inaccurate by any stretch and are merely stylistic. (God this is going to sound like a huge defense when in reality I'm all good with this) :bg:

Road and parking. I have several ways I can approach this. Resize, Reduce (the number of spaces) or Remove segments altogether. GR and scale don't really work hand in hand to begin with so I like to use the resize while scaling is a scary world :scared: I agree the roads *could* have been wider in retrospective, scaling everything else starts to become weirder and weirder (once you start scaling it with wall gaps, then it becomes chaotic). Again, doing so impacts whether I use cars or not and I tend to think LMap cars are more distracting than not, it's really just a style thing that I prefer, where scenery doesn't become too dominant, I can't get on board with LMap cars, probably might, we shall see. The size also means I could create a more forest like environment, something other versions of this missed quite a bit.

As for those round walls. Yeah. It's just a minor quirk of Snakeditor and using the sunk tyres is probably better in the tighter ones, I will concede that. I try to go for the realism of using walls, with sunk tyres being a last resort, even if the width isn't ideal. Something I'll definitely consider more going forward, even if the sunk tyres ends up being more finicky than it appears. ;)

Kerbs - they're all different in the real track and I'd rather have a go at recreating them than not. I did the same in every track since then and by some weird coincidence I have tended to choose tracks that do strange things like that, they can't all be Sachsenring (which I have to admit, seemed so systematic in comparison)

The inside of the straight is meant to be faint. Actually, it may not be there at all in the real track but no amount of footage could confirm it was there or not there. No line looked like I forgot, a white line looks right but as if I didn't notice. Yeah, I do get that pedantic :twisted:

The dots - ask whoever put them in at Sugo. :? My best guess in the real world they are additional grid marks. Including them is just as meaningful as the turn markers, it's for show. :D I don't mind adding little details like that, it makes it feel a bit less cookie cutter. (same point can be applied to kerbs)

And the AI. Yeah, I really focused hard on that. :goodvibes: Actually tried a different strategy on straights by making the segments double the length to keep the cars a bit more steady (except near the end of straights) and it seems to have solved a few issues with wiggle or cutting corners. :shock:

Of course I expect that level of critique :D , it's exactly what I ask for and while I don't want to stray too much now from a style I enjoy making, I will understand it's not how everyone would do it. My main focus is to try recreating the tracks for GR with fun, then realism next, mostly because I enjoy the challenge. :ugeek:
View my archived circuits/cars here
MotoPunk

Post by MotoPunk »

Gave this a few runs against the AI and overall I feel like it came out really well. The AI is tough and on a short race it is tough to take the lead but on a long race patience is key and I was able to out pit after watching the AI push each other into the walls.

My only criticism would be what looks like Ice on some of the first turns but that is avoidable.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

The track looks good and the AI is very competetive. You've done good job making this feel like a GR track and not too much a rwl track. However, the layout leaves me a bit cold but this isn't your fault. At any rate, I definitely prefer the non-chicane version. Looking forward to your next rwl. :)