[roa] Rantsu

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

[roa] Rantsu

Post by TuomoH »

Rantsu is another one-hour track. However, after the time was up, I noticed that I hadn't set the checkpoints. Because I had to edit the track, I decided to fix the AI a bit and added the people as well. Because of this, the actual build time is aroud 65 minutes. This time, the track is a short but tight road course - the houses are very close to the driving line. The AI has been designed for the original Formula.

Hope you enjoy and please leave a comment. :cool2:
Attachments
rantsu.jpg
rantsu.zip
(33.39 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [roa] Rantsu

Post by XYY »

Considering this one was made in just over hour, it's a very good track. It reminds me quite a lot of your other lately released tracks (like the houses at V'lage, the stones at any track from the last month and the concrete posts from the Monaco-esque track). However, it looks like it's just been thrown randomly together. The objects don't interact as good with one another and with the landmap as in your other tracks. And correct me if I'm wrong? But the landmap screams "GIMP".
Not sure about this, but I think if I wanted to make such a competitve AI line, this alone would have cost me an hour :sweat:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

You're right that it borrows from my latest tracks a lot.
XYY wrote:However, it looks like it's just been thrown randomly together.
That's because in a rush it was like that - "Oh no, I've got only that much time left, what do I put here, what do I put here?" :D
XYY wrote:And correct me if I'm wrong? But the landmap screams "GIMP".
Yes, I've used GIMP. Out of curiosity, what gives it away?

Thanks for your comments. :)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

It's the road, basically. They were made with the path tool, if I'm right? It's showing because of the splines that create the layout rather than a combination of straights and curves (which is more commonly seen in many people's tracks). Also I know exactly that the white lines of 1px width are increased exactly as shown here - at some angles it gets a bit "wider" which is absolutely logical but doesn't work for me visually as good as a line that comes from the early Snakeditors. But nowadays I even use a different method to make my lines (basically drawing circle selections in GIMP and only making a thin line on the outside), but I think the result looks so clean that it's worth the effort... :)
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

XYY wrote:It's the road, basically. They were made with the path tool, if I'm right? It's showing because of the splines that create the layout rather than a combination of straights and curves (which is more commonly seen in many people's tracks).
Actually you're wrong, I made the roads in TE. Only then I opened the lmap in GIMP and touched the lines. :mrgreen: