[cir] Snowmelt

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
Danador12

[cir] Snowmelt

Post by Danador12 »

Hi, guys! Here are my latest track: Snowmelt!
As usual for my track, Snowmelt is settled near a forest, in this case at the end of winter, while snow and ice are melting. (And now you got the reason of the name)
The track is challenging with fast and slow curves. In particular, be aware at the start because the first two turns have a bumping HMap, the risk of contact is very high!
Snowmelt has two different layouts. Let me know which one do you prefer. :D Nothing more to say, let's see track! :bg:
P.S: let me know everything in the comment, every feeback is welcome. :yummy:
Attachments
Snowmelt S.jpg
Snowmelt.jpg
Snowmelt.rar
(54.81 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [cir] Snowmelt

Post by Crowella »

Alright, got some real good praise for the racing at this circuit! :D

I really enjoy competing against the AI here. While I was able to win on my first try on a 10km race with pits, it was only on my final lap after learning the circuit eventually. :bg: The best thing you've done here is definitely the HMap. That bottom-left corner (and one just before it) in particular is incredible and the circuit overall has a really nice flow with the stock Formula car :shock: (I clearly have a thing for banked corners) :goodvibes: The big thing is you can feel a lot of the elevation changes but nothing that becomes incredibly frustrating. The racing feels really well thought out!

There are a few places I could see improvement with in the future.This will be dot points because easier :geek:
- Be a little careful about grid placement. Seems very uneven when compared to a few of the objects that feel very well placed.
- I think you have progressed very well and could now lean more into using some more external editors for landmap editing. I can see you have a good idea on how to texture and lay out landmaps and feel it'll be worth your time using external editors to push it further :D
- Take a little care with checkpoint placement. I only noticed on opening the file in the editor (just to confirm the grid placement) but you could probably do with an additional checkpoint at corner 2 just to avoid a very obvious cut through corner 1 to 3. How you place the checkpoints in general is fine otherwise :bsmile:

The main thing is, I see that there's a good attention to detail in the racing which is a massive positive :up: Love to see how you keep going with it because I see a huge amount of potential given how well the circuit drives :goal:

EDIT: The main layout is my favoured one :sweatdrop:
View my archived circuits/cars here
Danador12

Post by Danador12 »

Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback! :hattip:
I'm very pleased you liked the track and it's funny to drive! HMaps are defintely the sections i feel more creative, or at least more inspired. A Track could completely change with HMap so i think about it a lot, lot more than i think about the LMap. :sweatdrop:
-Thank you for the dot point about start: Yes, once i put it on the main straight, i don't work on it anymore. That's a thing i've never give attention, and now it comes out. I will notice it in future :goodvibes: :goodvibes:
-For external tools, I've told often that i don't like them a lot, but you are the fourth person here in the forum giving me this advice, maybe it's the time to follow it seriously if i want to take it on a next step :headbang: :nod:
-For checkpoint, i think less is better. If the world can block cut, the risk to lose a lap is lower. Between turn 1 and 3 there are bushes and stone, some trees, gravel and snow. So that's why here there isn't a checkpoint. But now, i have a question about it: Did you find a way to cut easily that section? :haha: :haha: :frying pan: Let me know eventually how and where.

Are there other feedbacks?
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

No problem at all :bg:

That's understandable about the external tools, they can push the visual standard significantly further than what can be done with track editor plus it will help with work flow as being able to use something like the GIMP or Photoshop may help when it comes to things like fine tuning the layout and adjusting colours of dithering, etc, also being able to do one pixel at a time can be helpful :D

As for checkpoints, there's no harm in adding some more. :meditate: Stones in themselves can easily be run over to gain that advantage and with a little bit of practice you can easily go in the gap between the tree and stones. As far as I know, there's no hard limit to how many checkpoints you can place. Your placement of them otherwise is good, you don't punish players for cutting corners by a wheel, which I feel some track makers (myself in the past included) are too harsh with :ouch:

Pictured is an example of where to add the checkpoint between current checkpoints 1 and 2. I'd argue a case as well that there should be one on the banked hairpin after checkpoint 3 also.
Attachments
exampleofadd.jpg
View my archived circuits/cars here
Danador12

Post by Danador12 »

Yes, that's clear about checkpoint "2". As i told, in my mind the world was enough to block cutting that curve...
That's why a beta tester is always needed :lol: :lol:
Anyway, you can change it, no problem about it. :bg:

P.S. For external tools, after my next track (it will coming in few days, and i was working on it before even start Snowmelt) i will dedicate more time to work on external tools :bg:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I also like the track, plus I think that it looks quite good despite using only the TE. I didn't even bother trying the short version, as that banked corner at the bottom left is so much fun. The AIs are fast, not super fast, but the track is so dangerous that I managed to crash into many of the limitations and thus I didn't finish first in my 20 lap race. I think that the pit crews on ice aren't maybe the best idea :scratch: apart from that, I think the track is nice. :mrgreen:

You don't always need a beta tester. Sometimes even "old dogs" are missing out on something (this is called a mistake :D ) and once you've gotten to some level, it's mostly up to personal taste. ;)