[cir] Machaera Raceway

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
RacePops

[cir] Machaera Raceway

Post by RacePops »

Hi! This is my first track I've decided to release publicly. Welcome to Machaera Raceway!

All criticisms are welcome. I designed this track for Formula AI.
Screenshot 2021-07-01 141408.png
Machaera.zip
(39.1 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
—RacePops (she/her)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: [cir] Machaera Raceway

Post by Crowella »

Firstly, welcome to the forums and thank you for releasing a new track for us, glad to see more people jump on board here :D

It's a really fun circuit to begin with. :D I actually find the middle sector a genuine challenge to drive and the HMap really adds to the challenge, the corners become much tougher than they look and especially that middle one :D This one did really take me by surprise in that regard, so well done :bg:

The AI is actually quite competitive and was real fun to race! Didn't expect them to actually be as quick as they are so I'm very glad on a first release you focused on it :D They do unfortunately get stuck in that middle corner if they're pushed behind the hay bale but that's maybe just a bit of misfortune :sweatdrop:

Of course there are many places I can see you expanding in the future, for example, using external editors to work on the Landmap and having a look at other examples on this forum for scenery ideas. :D There's a lot of materials and content around if you wish to push the trackmaking even further :goal:

Considering this looks (almost entirely) done with TE, that's really impressive work. And as a side note, that layout is actually really awesome just on its own :mrgreen:
View my archived circuits/cars here
RacePops

Post by RacePops »

Thank you so much for all the kind words! :)

I like to watch the AI race, so making the AI competitive was something I focused on. I'm happy you noticed. I definitely owe plenty of my inspiration to you, TuomoH, Trigger Happy, and Bouncebackability (and many others). It means a lot that you like it.

And yes, this is TEO. Honestly, I find external tools confusing, so the track editor works for now. Maybe I'll delve a little deeper on future projects, haha. This definitely isn't my first track, just the first one I've felt confident sharing. I'm glad you like it!
—RacePops (she/her)
Danador12

Post by Danador12 »

Nice work! :bg: :bg: When i saw for the first time the track i wasn't very pleased: it seemed a long-straight, narrow-turn, long-straight, narrow-turn, repeat-three-times-it track and it gave me boring feels. But once i raced on Machaera, i must change my idea. The HMap make the turns very challenging (in particular turn 4) and the AI is very competitive. Racing here is funny. Special praise to Machaera O: I've never felt the feeling to be on "full throttle" as i did in the last turns of the O version. :macho:
Just a criticism: around the track the landscape is a little bit monotonous :vsad: Despite it, very very nice work to start with! :bg: :hattip:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Hi RacePops,

I think it's a good track considering this is your first release. I agree with most of what the guys above said, and the AI line is indeed very competitive :bg: I agree that the scenery (especially the forest) could use some rework, but I appreciate what you did at the area behind the grandstands at the start-finish line. I'm a little confused, it looks like the track would have been raced like this 60-70 years ago - no runoffs, but instead hay bales placed closely at the outside of corners. Was this your intention or have I just seen too many photos from tracks from the 60s lately? :mrgreen:
In detail, I think there are some things worth improving. e.g. the object placement could be a little bit more smooth, or the kerbs blend with the white line in a way that I don't like so much. My biggest remark would actually be the point of view, I feel like the racing is too far away. I rotated the track to -90° and I see only advantages doing this. Did you have a reason to rotate it like you did? :)

Keep the work up! And maybe you should give the external editors a try. Great-looking kerbs aren't that hard to make e.g. in GIMP... ;)