Need help with Generally track editor!

Browse FAQ, ask other guys for help with your issue or post a hint here.
Utrgan

Need help with Generally track editor!

Post by Utrgan »

Hello!
I have a little problem and I hope somebody can help me. My Track Editor works fine, but when I try to save it, it says Can't create file. Does anybody know how to fix this?
aliman

Re: Need help with Generally track editor!

Post by aliman »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you take a picture and put it here? So we'll see what the exact message is (Maybe it says something like Can't create file, missing .dll...). I'm sure you've tried the basics like re installing etc. Other than that I really don't know what to do.
Utrgan

Post by Utrgan »

Hello!
Yes I tried reinstalling. It worked for me maybe 5 months ago.
Here is the image: https://imgur.com/w28qQJr
aliman

Post by aliman »

Hmmm... I'm not very technically minded person so I don't think I can be of much help :(

I was hoping others would see this and be more helpful :D
I hope you get it fixed somehow! :up:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I've actually never had any issue like this before. This hint may be a bit unneccessary since you have probably tried it already, but does it make any difference if you run the TrackEditor in administrator mode?

Unfortunatley the developers don't seem to be active right now. Normally you could have posted this issue in the bug report topic but I'm afraid no one will deliver a solution for you quickly, unless there's someone who experienced the same and solved it for himself/herself. :(
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Utrgan wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:22 am Hello!
Yes I tried reinstalling. It worked for me maybe 5 months ago.
Here is the image: https://imgur.com/w28qQJr
This in theory occurs when the Track Editor doesn't have the ability to write a file to the given location.

As XYY suggested, maybe running as administrator will help. Another problem could be if you're attempting to run the Track Editor from within a "special" system folder (things like Program Files and the Windows directory classify as these) - those almost always cause file-writing issues without administrator permissions.

As far as I'm aware this isn't a bug of any kind, but if none of those things seem to help, I can look into it :bg:
XYY wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:34 pmUnfortunatley the developers don't seem to be active right now.
:P
Utrgan

Post by Utrgan »

Hello!
Thanks for all of the replys!
Sorry for a late reply. I wasn't home.
I tried running Track Editor in administrator mode and it didn't work. I also tried compatibility mode, but none of it worked.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

I'm not sure what else to recommend :scratch:

I took a look at the implementation of this error message, and the message is only displayed when Windows doesn't give the Editor write access to the file. Your user account permissions, the directory you're executing from being protected, or some other factor is causing the file to be unwriteable.

Unfortunately, this means there's not much I can suggest other than trying in other locations, with another user account, or with administrator privileges (but, as you've already tried that, maybe not that). This seems to be a system-configuration problem.

:sadbana:
Utrgan

Post by Utrgan »

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
I am gonna try a few things and if I get a solution I will write it down here.

Once again thanks for all of your support.
Utrgan

Post by Utrgan »

I'm already here with solution :D
I made a new user and it works there.

Btw is there anyway to see what file is preventing from saving on my main user?
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

I’m not sure how you’d go about finding out why it wasn’t working - as there could be many possible causes. But I’m glad it’s functioning fine now :up:
Utrgan

Post by Utrgan »

Hello!
I have figured it out. I put the Generally folder into C: Program Files x86 and it works!
Again thanks for all of your help.