What type of controller do you use to play GeneRally?

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Areen

Re: What type of controller do you use to play GeneRally?

Post by Areen »

Of course keyboard, a laptop keayboard and arrows and spacebar for breaking combination.
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

I was using my gamepad and i was much faster than on keybord, but then i smacked it into wall while playing Madden and now i need to play on keybord back again. btw.
A - acceleration
Y(europe)/Z(american) - brake
Arrows - left/right
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I switched to a game pad (PS3 controller) after years of using the arrow keys and I can't believe I didn't sooner. Feels much more enjoyable with a controller. :)
View my archived circuits/cars here
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

how did you make it? :O i tried but unsuccesfully. Can you post some tutorial? Or is that easy and i am just d***a*s?
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I'll say "MotionInJoy" but I would highly not recommend it. There are other drivers around to get a PS3 controller to work on a PC (using a USB cable in my case)
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

WASD for me are the default keys in every racing game. Keyboard, keyboard!
Gentlemens, start your engines!
RodSk8Punk

Post by RodSk8Punk »

Most recently I played with a PS3 controller...

...with pressure sensitivity!

It took a while but I finally got pressure sensitivity on PC.

I heard the program that Crowella mentioned has a lot of viruses so avoid that one.

The one I found to be very good is BetterDS3. You can set it to make the PS3 controller be recognized as an Xbox360 controller, or do a custom mapping (and map normal buttons as analogs/triggers, with full pressure sensitivity). Just remember to make the ones you need to use at the same time as separate axis, because otherwise they cancel each other.

It's really nice for a PS2 emulator, now I just need to get a good PC that can run it at a decent enough speed.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

RodSk8Punk wrote:I heard the program that Crowella mentioned has a lot of viruses so avoid that one.
Exactly why I said avoid it. It does have an offline mdoe but still...

I'll look into using BetterDS3 when I get a chance. :up: I don't use the pressure sensitive stuff for GR all that much. I like the old analog D-pad and buttons for that arcade feel. :D
enderracer

What kind of controller do you use?

Post by enderracer »

Hello, I've been playing GeneRally on and off, since 2006, I think it's one of the best top-down racers (and one of the best racinggames) I have ever played. And I have played alot of top-down racing games, believe me. But I can't play it too long on a keyboard. I get cramps and have to take breaks. And I don't like taking breaks, so I bought an USB-snes controller which I upgraded, so it got a little joystick, instead of the cross. It doesn't look very good. But oh, man what a fantastic experience it is. I can play it for hours.
I also got an PS3-controller to work with Generally, and it's good. The thumbstick, can be very nice to control with. And it's possible to go with less of a throttle. This can be very good when you don't want to break but needs to slow down, a little bit.
Now I wonder how you all play it? Are you hardcore-keyboardists or do you switch it up with a controller once in awhile?
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: What kind of controller do you use?

Post by Crowella »

I'm one of the controller users myself and I use it mostly because it's a much comfortable setup. I have a PS4 controller and use the D-pad for steering. Acceleration is X, brake is L2, which may seem a little odd but that's how I do it. Using the DS4 software, I just map those buttons to the default with GR, Up, down, left, right so if I must, I can just use the keyboard.
enderracer

Post by enderracer »

Crowella wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:48 am I'm one of the controller users myself and I use it mostly because it's a much comfortable setup. I have a PS4 controller and use the D-pad for steering. Acceleration is X, brake is L2, which may seem a little odd but that's how I do it. Using the DS4 software, I just map those buttons to the default with GR, Up, down, left, right so if I must, I can just use the keyboard.
Ah, how clever. But then you use a cord right? Or via bluetooth? I did try the d-pad on the snes-controller but my thumb got blisters, so I never thought about trying it on the ps3-controller, but I will now.
Haha, how interesting, I have brake on X and accelerate on R2. :P
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

Merged the new topic with an existing one. :)

I still use a gamepad, currently Logitech Gamepad F310. I use D-pad for steering, A for accelerating, X for braking.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I currently use a cord. While some may argue it's because of lag, it's simply because my computer doesn't have bluetooth :rofl:

And that is interesting, but it makes sense to me to at least use a different finger. I do sometimes use circle as brake, and actually I do have that mapped to brake too just in case I have a mind slip :doh:
enderracer wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:58 am
Crowella wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:48 am I'm one of the controller users myself and I use it mostly because it's a much comfortable setup. I have a PS4 controller and use the D-pad for steering. Acceleration is X, brake is L2, which may seem a little odd but that's how I do it. Using the DS4 software, I just map those buttons to the default with GR, Up, down, left, right so if I must, I can just use the keyboard.
Ah, how clever. But then you use a cord right? Or via bluetooth? I did try the d-pad on the snes-controller but my thumb got blisters, so I never thought about trying it on the ps3-controller, but I will now.
Haha, how interesting, I have brake on X and accelerate on R2. :P
enderracer

Post by enderracer »

Crowella wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:18 am I currently use a cord. While some may argue it's because of lag, it's simply because my computer doesn't have bluetooth :rofl:

And that is interesting, but it makes sense to me to at least use a different finger. I do sometimes use circle as brake, and actually I do have that mapped to brake too just in case I have a mind slip :doh:
I thought so! And I could argue for the lag, you would need a bluetooth adapter, for best reception, even if your computer has a bluetooth. :rofl:
Ah, I see. That's smart. because it can happen! I've been playing more with the R2-L2, and it can give you really smooth acceleration and braking, depending how much you press. It's really neat. Otherwise I "tap" the throttle to get smooth cornering (if I can't go all out).
TuomoH wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:08 pm Merged the new topic with an existing one. :)

I still use a gamepad, currently Logitech Gamepad F310. I use D-pad for steering, A for accelerating, X for braking.
AAh, cool! I've been looking at one to buy, but I thought it was a bit expensive, at the time, but now I'm a bit richer. We'll see. I really like the controller I modded myself. :-) But is it as good as it looks? The Logitech one?
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

enderracer wrote:AAh, cool! I've been looking at one to buy, but I thought it was a bit expensive, at the time, but now I'm a bit richer. We'll see. I really like the controller I modded myself. :-) But is it as good as it looks? The Logitech one?
I'm really bad at comparing but I've liked it, feels good with GeneRally at least. :mrgreen:

How did you mod the controller? Do you mean the joystick?
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

This got me interested, I have to see if my xbox controller would work in GR. Maybe after all these years I'll improve the driving somewhat :flip:
Strava
GeneRally Wizard

Post by Strava »

I use an old Atari 2600 joystick.
It works very well for me because I have been driving racing games with a joystick since the days of the Atari 2600.
Then on the Comodore 64, and then on PC-DOS and Win 3.1 racing games.
I didn't get a wheel until Win XP and Grand Prix Legends.
For details on how to use an old joystick see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5708
Atari2600Joystick.jpg
2600-daptor-225x300.jpg
2600-daptor-225x300.jpg (15.27 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
Good Luck & Good Racing