[cpk] [ser] [for] F1 Minis '21 - 2021 Chibi Formula 1

"Real men drive 40 polygons." You'll find some here.
RudyOosterndijk

[cpk] [ser] [for] F1 Minis '21 - 2021 Chibi Formula 1

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

What if my two favorite carmakers had a baby?

10 years after masa released his ultimate Chibi Formula car pack, I am bringing you my chibification of the 2021 Formula 1 cars. Based on the physics of the original Formula, my pack consists of 10 individual cars combining the visual opulence of Lorenzo's vehicles with the shape and spirit of masa's well-loved creations.

Although I built all models from scratch, I don't claim full creative ownership because there are some artistic choices -
from the Aston Martin's livery to the McLaren's shade of orange, for example - that I adopted pretty much straightforward. For this very reason I never intended to release the car pack outside PGR's F1 Minis championship, but now that a lot of people (3!) have asked me about them: Here they are!

By the way, the whole pack comes with a palette that changes the original colors quite substantially, so that the McLaren now resembles a juicy papaya rather than a dusty wall of bricks. :)
Attachments
XYY's McLaren at Bronzerock
XYY's McLaren at Bronzerock
Showcasing the new colors
Showcasing the new colors
Shenanigans at Dragon's MelbPark
Shenanigans at Dragon's MelbPark
[OOS] F1 Minis '21.zip
Car pack (incl. palette)
(5.86 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
aliman

Re: [cpk] [ser] [for] F1 Minis '21 - 2021 Chibi Formula 1

Post by aliman »

Oh yes!!!

They're perfect! They fit nicely into my World Tour series as well. I think the original formula is, hmm how do I put this, too turn-y. Or in English, it turns too fast. But the look is absolutely perfect. I'll definitely be using these for any small track from now on.

Are all the cars the same performance-wise, or are there differences between teams?

The palette is excellent as well, although I have come so accustomed to ice being blue so I'll continue using "Goiania" palette. :bsmile:

I've been looking for something like this for years basically. I don't know how to make cars anymore, though I used to. And I can't get the car editor to work so that I could just tweak the specs on others' cars. So thank you very, very much!

P.S.: I had to do a double check on your nationality, because you don't really see many non-native English speakers use words like opulence. And perfect grammar too. :D
RudyOosterndijk

Post by RudyOosterndijk »

Thank you for your nice words, aliman.

But let me get down to your questions:
aliman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:35 pm They fit nicely into my World Tour series as well.
Due to my unbroken love for figure-8 street tracks, I will warmly recommend your Adelaine to everybody in this thread. Also, should there ever be a second season of F1 Minis, your Small World Tour will definitely make an appearance.

aliman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:35 pm I think the original formula is, hmm how do I put this, too turn-y. Or in English, it turns too fast.
To me as well. It feels like the orignal Formula rotates around a pivot point such is the center of geometry. Just a little too much for a believable kinematic model. As far as my vehicles are concerned, any difference to the original Formula is down to car geometry. There is a notable rear bias to the placement of the axles (or spheres). And if I am not mistaken, that should make them "less turn-y", which is what I intended.

aliman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:35 pm Are all the cars the same performance-wise, or are there differences between teams?
Stats-wise there is not a single difference between the cars. The cars were meant to run in a one-off competition, so they really should be equal. And I am not going to add individual car physics at some point in the future, sorry.

aliman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:35 pmThe palette is excellent as well, although I have come so accustomed to ice being blue so I'll continue using "Goiania" palette. :bsmile:
In stark contrast to your Goiania palette, you have certainly noticed the subtle red tint in the menus. People have asked me to change it, but I wanted to shift the whole spectrum to somewhat warmer colors, and the tint is just a by-product. The palette was started from scratch but then, in one way or another, helped by Lorenzo's F1 palette.

aliman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:35 pm I've been looking for something like this for years basically. I don't know how to make cars anymore, though I used to. And I can't get the car editor to work so that I could just tweak the specs on others' cars. So thank you very, very much!
You're welcome. :)

aliman wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:35 pm P.S.: I had to do a double check on your nationality, because you don't really see many non-native English speakers use words like opulence.
NEIN! ICH BIN NICHT ENGLISCH, DANKE SEHR! :D :wink:

I just figured that you can embed YouTube videos here, except that it doesn't work. So go check out this link if you'd like to see the cars in motion.
Garett

Post by Garett »

Hello,

Very nice project and I congratulate you. I think that the cars are very well caricatured.