The Forgotten - Hidden Gems of GR

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Kikwik

Re: The Forgotten - Hidden Gems of GR

Post by Kikwik »

Haha yes, why not ? :) I find it well-made, challenging because it's technical with all those corners and I think you and your track deserve to have a place here as well.

We'll keep going deeper and deeper in time with very artsy, original tracks from the early years of GR.
Akkyemen<br />15th February 2005<br />Akkyemen 2<br />14th September 2005<br />From unknown trackmaker
Akkyemen
15th February 2005
Akkyemen 2
14th September 2005
From unknown trackmaker
RYT tracks<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />Unknown date of creation
RYT tracks
Unknown trackmaker
Unknown date of creation
What is absolutely frustrating in sorting tracks for GR is that you have all the elements that lead to a trackmaker because they used the same techniques, are from the same dates he was active, but you can't decide lightly if you should move them to his folder. In this case it reminds me heavily on Errorman's tracks but as there's no name or even ghost records as Errorman, I can't be 100% sure. Anyway, those tracks are colorful, have good hmap work and stunt elements, and what I like is that this unknown ? trackmaker used objects overlapping starting positions to make a starting boost, on the track RYT.
Chico<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />28th August 2003
Chico
Unknown trackmaker
28th August 2003
Really simple artsy track, which you can easily count the number of objets there are on it, 4. But don't be fooled by its apparent simpleness ; the layout is fun with the help of the good work on hmap and you'll not encounter lot of tracks as colorful as this one. Well, maybe the next one.
Heart<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />Unknown date of creation
Heart
Unknown trackmaker
Unknown date of creation
Aww it's cute ! Someone want to say I love you in GR ? :love: Good size, the use of soft walls are not an heresy here thanks to red lmap under them, maybe replacing those walls by discreet sunk tires or nowadays replace them by red cones would be better maybe. Mostly cool only for the lmap but the layout is balanced between corners and long straights. Give it a try lovers ! :P
Manga Bomb<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />25th May 2003
Manga Bomb
Unknown trackmaker
25th May 2003
I did some research on it and I found the picture really similar to a manga called B-BoY Bomb which have the same black silhouette dancing but the first tome was published in 2006... Anyway it's from a manga but which one ? Do you know the answer ? :shhh:
Talking about the track the lmap is unique with very stylish lines and logos all around, while the layout is quite simple and not well incorporated with the stunning lmap, and the objects are there to be there. An eye-candy track for sure, but may not drive on it too often. Could be much more though.

See you ! :macho:

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

We'll be in 2002-2003 tracks mainly again, and here's another round of interesting tracks of that era.
Lockbridge <br />Nikidytec<br />5th November 2002
Lockbridge
Nikidytec
5th November 2002
Wait... [Checks the date... checks the track.. checks the date again...] This track is from 2002 ?! :o No way, it seems like it was made years later ! Considering the first ToM was in July 2003 wow. Even its own logo at the bottom, shame we don't know about the name's creator (EDIT : Found that it was Nikidytec after some search). This track is super neat ; objects are well placed, those lines are thin and good-looking and I really like the double white outlines of the layout. Not everything is perfect though, like those trees at the bottom which are a little on the filler side, but overall it's an incredible high quality track for 2002 and so early it's near unbelievable. A true gem of a track for sure. :yummy:
Aberton<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />1st June 2003
Aberton
Unknown trackmaker
1st June 2003
Again, something unique that will appear very rarely after, this lmap work on mud. I find it beautiful in comparison of sprayed mud which is simply ugly or if I can say it better, not as interesting or realistic visually as this. We can find this kind of lmap in Markus Moller P.Ralle or AeroWiewiur's rally tracks. Apart from this well there's not much, everything else is pretty basic but this is so rare to find this kind of lmap work in rally tracks and so early that it was worth mentionning.
Men at Work<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />10th July 2003
Men at Work
Unknown trackmaker
10th July 2003
A cool concept in a street circuit, with those rocks and sand's piles on the road to show that there are some works going on. It's a shame that he didn't have the most modern GR objects as it could enhance this track tremendously, but regarding the date it's quite good honestly. I dig the black pavement even if it's unrealistic ; it adds a contrast to the track which is appealing visually. It could have more stunt elements, using the theme of road's works.
Tr@ffika<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />13th September 2003
Tr@ffika
Unknown trackmaker
13th September 2003
Two versions, a and b, for 2 different layouts. Maybe the same author as before as it have the same black pavement, and I'm really fascinated by the circle fill with nature and surrounded by this black pavement in the top right corner. It's like a case, filled with a little jewel inside. It makes me want to do the same, to have this big contrast with black colors and fill it inside with little worlds. For the track in itself it's the typical US city streets in squares, with good use of objects and a little truck at the left, ok track.
Thames<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />30th May 2003
Thames
Unknown trackmaker
30th May 2003
In England perhaps ? Quite stylish with those arrows, quite dry regarding landscape and objects because of the river at the center and all those bridges, and the arrows can be misleading sometimes when driving. But globally nice for the date, and I love the raft with many people on at the top, with a boat that seems sunked. Love those tiny scenes and details, makes a track unique even if the remaining is meh. I can't tell you what's this red color on those weird shaped cliffs at the top and it will still probably remains a mystery until this day. :sweatdrop:

See you ! :rsc: :rip: :weep:
Last edited by Kikwik on Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Today 3 tracks with snow and 2 street tracks still from the early years, let's go ! :goal:
Nitro Snow<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />Unknown date of creation
Nitro Snow
Unknown trackmaker
Unknown date of creation
Wow it's quite an impressive track, and the name suits very well. :bg: The snow is well made, remind me of Bathroom seen few posts earlier, near same style. A nice stunt track, long one though and a little too large but well made.
IceAge<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />11th January 2003
IceAge
Unknown trackmaker
11th January 2003
That's not a common landscape in GR and it could be great to see some tracks jumping from iceberg to iceberg. :coolboard: Another stunt track, and unforgiving one as you'll not recover from falling. I like the fact there's the name of the track on it. It seems a signature of the artist and while it's unrealistic to say the least, it's still an artsy move and appreciated one, like in Mathee early tracks which were well implemented with the start/finish line, well designed. The hmap is a little rough but icebergs are sometimes rough as well.
JustPlowed<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />Unknown date of creation
JustPlowed
Unknown trackmaker
Unknown date of creation
Great idea executed well visually, and driving wise I appreciate the fact that there are "shortcuts" possible along the main layout. I like this idea of having different paths to choose from depending on your car or your strategy. The AI is kinda bad at the first corner but good for the remaining of the race. :sweatdrop:
Lentiai<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />22th April 2003
Lentiai
Unknown trackmaker
22th April 2003
Would not be surprised if it's a real life city... and it is in fact a real city. Lentiai is located in Italy, with this exact same star shaped place and a church represented by this big blue building on the track. A good early effort to bring a real city to life in GR.
Stadtkurs<br />Unknown trackmaker<br />22th May 2003
Stadtkurs
Unknown trackmaker
22th May 2003
Incredibly simple in style but neat and well thought. A good early street gp track, not too big, a pleasant surprise.

I know those kind of tracks will not land in your folders but they are interesting regarding track creation and what was done early on. We can see that despite the big amount of crappy tracks from that era, some gems like this were made and are worth to drive still today even if modern standards are higher. Hope you enjoy the journey. :bsmile:

See you ! :stig:

Qurpiz
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Qurpiz »

Kikwik wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:38 pm Luamaewsa.png

What a name, have some difficulties to type it right ! :doh: So what do we have here, seems a normal, classic GR circuit. So ? Well if you zoom a little more on the track, you'll see... a human silhouette in white like in crime scenes ? And tires trails that are heading to walls, with blood splattered there ?! And it came from the pits ?! :shock:
Maybe this GR player after going to the pit realized that the first pitman in front of your car is pushed away by your car when you leave the pits and come back a few ms after in its original position and maybe he thought about, if this pit crew didn't returned to its original position ? And so this track, a little dark but well executed with simple graphics and mostly original.
EDIT : As I saw many Rammstein logos on Qurpiz tracks, and according to the dates, it may be from Qurpiz but nothing sure about this. Simply a thought.

I hope you're not tired of those posts, as I have some others to share with you worth of playing or seeing. Not original anymore but mostly most recent ones but overlooked. Or is it underlooked ? Underrated is better maybe ?

Well, see you ! :coolboard:
I'm so confused.

The track definitively looks like my early style. It has a name that GR used to generate on its own, which I used to just go with. A Rammstein logo, used to put in my tracks, no denying that. Even the skid marks leading to a crash I remember putting on my tracks. The silhouette.

Yet I have absolutely no memory of this track. None.

Narcisticly, maybe I had a copycat? Or amnesia? I'd love to have answers here but I don't
Cristiano Bohessef

Post by Cristiano Bohessef »

Kikwik wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:48 am
DW Park.png

A really neat track from him and in my opinion, one of his best too. The landscape, the layout, the way it's built... I can't tell what exactly makes me attracted by this track but I like it. It's a pleasure to drive on it too. Also I don't know about you, but I'm more attracted by dark tarmac than light tarmac on roads.
Link here : DW Park by Cristiano Bohessef
Hi guys!!

I've just logged in here after such a long time, and I'm so happy that I found this topic. It's so nice that you remembered this track that I released 12 years ago, I remember I really liked the result back then! :bsmile:

It's unbelieveble how time flies. I had so much fun being a part of this community creating tracks, competing in championships and testing every new thing you guys released. Hope you are all doing fine :goodvibes:
ECOlogic Racing Team
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

I'm really glad that this topic pleases you Cristiano and other GR players as well, hope you're fine too ! :bsmile:

I keep playing GR but not as much as before, and I'm still happy to drive your track from time to time from my GR Best of folder. :)

Was great back then, when there was always a new track/car/competition uploaded every day, lot of activity. Great community. :goodvibes:

@Qurpiz : Maybe a copycat why not ? Some players copied some styles and applied them in their own tracks as it pleases them so much. Or a very bad memory. :P Hope you're fine as well too. :)

Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Today I want to talk about a very good and quite recent addon lost into the innumerable topics of this forum that could have deserved much more attention and gratefulness from GR players, but was sadly shunned at the time of its publication. Maybe the fact that it was published in the cars topics didn't helped though, and the fact that it was published in 2016 where most GR players left is a thing to consider too. A truly forgotten, hidden gem, that I only discovered just recently to my great shame.

So... which one is it ?

GT Legends (first part) by Sartalas.

Let's talk first about GT Legends, a PC game from 2005 which reproduced the 2005 FIA Historic Racing Championships for GTC and TC cars from the 60s and 70s. 24 circuits from well known racing tracks like Mondello, Hockenheim, Magny-Cours and 35 legendary cars like the Ford GT40, Jaguar E-Type or AC Cobra.

I find the idea of those championships interesting, to pay hommage to old racing cars on modern circuits and how they behave on them.
Cover of PC game GT Legends.
Cover of PC game GT Legends.
And we have Sartalas, trackmaster and let's say a damn good carmaker too who tried to reproduce GT Legends in GR.

The amount of work he has put in it was truly commendable :

. Several tables showing its progress, being cars, tracks sorted by categories and being in much more quantity than in the GT Legends game. Instructions as well to how many kilometers to set according categories, and indications on what cars are in which categories to race on which track.
All is well sorted with many informations about each car.
All is well sorted with many informations about each car.
. A special font, that is my favorite to use in GR, being rounded and thick.
Good looking font, a favorite of mine.
Good looking font, a favorite of mine.
. Lot of high quality tracks created by himself, with other ones from talented trackmasters/trackmakers.
Driving alone on Spa with a Chaparral E.
Driving alone on Spa with a Chaparral E.
. Lot of well modeled cars at a carmaster level, with an arcade-simu feel, maybe leaning a bit too much on the sides in corners but are really pleasant to drive overall. Each car have its own sound and it changes everything when you hear the engine roaring with speed shifting. Truly satisfying !
Picture took from the topic of Sartalas, zoomed-in on a selection of cars to see all their details.
Picture took from the topic of Sartalas, zoomed-in on a selection of cars to see all their details.
Provided AI are on level 105 which means they are skilled plus they cheat a little with more grip so good luck with that. :P Luckily you can adjust the AI level to your liking.

The only downside is that it's only the first part. What a pity, but I can understand the feeling ; if you don't have a lot of feedback on a project that you had poured a lot of passion and effort on it, it's really discouraging and you don't want to keep going.

Link here :

GT Legends by Sartalas

With 46 cars and 52 tracks to race on, you have a lot more than the original GT Legends, everything is of high quality and pleasant to play.

So if you ever read this, thank you Sartalas for your work on this ; it's appreciated and I invite everyone to see and taste the goodness of this wonderful addon that was unfairly forgotten.

See you ! :goodvibes:

Sartalas
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Sartalas »

Oh yeah! GT Legends! <3 Yeah it was so much fun to create each car from the list. I've been also learned much about 60's - 70's cars and racing. That's true, it was huge realese. Like always feedback motivate me to give all of us more top level content. Sadenly project is gone but i think that helped me a lot in know how the 3D models works in editors. Now you can find what i've been learned in another free to play game Speedway Challenge when now i can mix my experience from car- and trackmaking. :> Anyway - it was pleasure to sharing GR content with you. I really enjoy that even part of my content is still using. Thanks for that post. <3