[cir] [ral] Rallycross: Backyard / DirtOval

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
CraapyTracks

[cir] [ral] Rallycross: Backyard / DirtOval

Post by CraapyTracks »

Hello! Still with not much time to dedicate on tracks but I have some of them here and on the weekends I can fix a little bit and share here. Whatever, we just need more tracks, right? This place feels so empty nowadays. Is everybody sharing new tracks and cars for Generally2 on a discord chat? If so please share! haha (still never played GR2)

Anyway, just two tracks. I had them here for a while but Rotaxary's new tracks made me think that I should also share mines. They are not that good or pretty tho.

RX Backyard has a weird first corner, so I had to drawn the AI for every lap. The second track are from a bunch of weird tracks I designed inside that "arena". I think I posted another one already last year. Super simple tracks, and - as always - I make these tracks for the Prospect RX car (from fellow member Haruna).
I feel its the only proper "Rallycross" car. It even drives as a 4wd, pleeease go check it out! It sooo hard at first, but you cant go back
( viewtopic.php?p=92889&hilit=prospect#p92889 )

Feel free to edit the track, the A.I. or anything and share back here!
Cheers!
Attachments
RX backyard&dirtoval.zip
(33.99 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
aa.png
Gzehoo

Re: [cir] [ral] Rallycross: Backyard / DirtOval

Post by Gzehoo »

Honestly, your RX tracks could look better.

Not that doing them only in TE is bad; there is just a lot of potential about working more on land.
No matter if in Photoshop or GIMP.
Even if they didn't have any dithering, it would still look great.

Just a minor tip; keep working on another RX tracks ;)
I just think that even if 20 years ago doing any track only in TE was popular, everyone would say something like "let's try to improve it".
CraapyTracks

Post by CraapyTracks »

Gzehoo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:33 pm Honestly, your RX tracks could look better.

Not that doing them only in TE is bad; there is just a lot of potential about working more on land.
No matter if in Photoshop or GIMP.
Even if they didn't have any dithering, it would still look great.

Just a minor tip; keep working on another RX tracks ;)
I just think that even if 20 years ago doing any track only in TE was popular, everyone would say something like "let's try to improve it".
Thanks for the feedback. And yep, I'm 100% with you on that. I really want to dedicate more time to stuff like this but ahhh, so much working on a thrid world country here haha. BUt yeah, I love tracks with more textures and elevations and I sure want to learn that (and how to edit cars too haha as you know). Its just "time" really. I got home the other day and just added some stuff just to "look less empty" haha then went to the bar, cuz Im doing two jobs right now. Bleh
I have a folder with other 20 tracks, but only the grass with the layout, UGLY haha. Someday! Someday!
Cheers my friend! Thanks for the chat, as always!
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

First thanks to dedicate some time to create new tracks !

It's really hard to do when you have a full time job, and I can imagine the workload of doing 2 jobs being quite intense. Hang on there and most importantly, please take care. :goodvibes:

I can't find too many time too unfortunately to create things for GR, though I'm full focused on sorting my GR Best Of folder, tweaking lot of cars and sorting numerous tracks to my liking. :D

Well Gzehoo isn't wrong about your tracks, as it's not sexy looking to say the least. And technically it's better to space the checkpoints and place them in corners, while making them pretty large in the outside. Even if your track is walled all the time, it's better to have more checkpoints along the track than just 3, the last one must be placed on your start/finish line.

The AI line on the first track is quite special :P , though I understand why you did it, but it's no use to make it so long. Also it makes the official length of the track super long despite the small WS and layout, if you right click on the track.

AI lines on RX tracks are difficult, because you have to place the line on the joker lap as well. In his RX tracks Maciej1 did 2 turns with AI line, which goes first on the main layout, and one turn on the joker lap. But doing this, AI will take in turn 1 the main layout, then on turn 2 the joker lap, then the main layout, then the joker lap, etc.
Or doing the AI line like you did for 6 turns with only once the line going through the joker lap, but it makes the length of the track much bigger than it is in the right click info section of the track.
Or like Aerowiewiur and Sartalas RX tracks, doing the AI line only for the main layout and letting the player use the joker lap exclusively.

My advice is to make your track little by little, even if it takes you months to do it. But at the end, you'll have a refined track that most people will be glad to download, play and keep it in their folder.

But to do this, you may check first TuomoH's Track Editor tutorial for some solid basis of trackmaking, reading it when you have a break at work for example. Using paths in Gimp (free software yay !) makes wonderful and clean layout, with exquisite dithering and precise kerbs. It can be a solid basis for your track. GRMHEdit is the perfect software to create with ease hmap, and Snake Editor is quite complex at first, but once you read a little the tuto provided with it and try some things in the software, you can create complex combinations of objects, like perfect smooth curbs of walls which is very pleasing to the eyes while in game. You can also be inspired by RX tracks makers like Maciej1, Aerowiewiur and Sartalas mainly, though other made some pretty good fictional RX tracks like the JE Team, Darjo or Dragon.

In a virtual pinball community where I go from time to time, members tend to work in team much more than in the past ; maybe you can team up with Rotaxary who shares the same passion for RX tracks ? Sharing the ideas and tasks together, it can remove some weight from both of you while giving a solid motivation to finish it. The Joint Effort was based on this idea, though motivation was not there all the time :P but you can try at least ? :) Though it's better to sharpen your skills from both sides before team up.

Also I'm still there lurking in the shadows, so if you want some advice for trackmaking or even carmaking I'm always free by PM or even in a discussion thread, even if I'm not a car or track master. :bg:

Wish you the best for you. :)

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
CraapyTracks

Post by CraapyTracks »

You fellas here are the best! And I agree. No worries on the critics! You are always honest and thats awesome IMO.
And YEEES! Rotaxary is the best!. He "did" one of "my tracks" in his style one time (partnership). I thought it was awesome! Mine was "Poor" like these ones above and he added WAY MORE character and dept to the track, added a proper joker lap... Almost a "dream come true" to have that track made by him!
I just love this place. Its cool to chat about a niche thing without trools rooming around destroying the 'vibes' haha
Cheers to that!