Competitions ideas

Whether you're a rookie or a pro, you'll find here the right series for you.
puttz

Re: Competitions ideas

Post by puttz »

So I admit that my last idea probably isn't as good as I initially thought :P But how about a different type of surprise competition, one with 2 classes, 1 class would be invite only to drivers at the top of GWR, and another open class for all other drivers. I was thinking of perhaps using some relatively normal cars for the challenge (i.e. not race cars or supercars). Any feedback on this idea?
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

I've just followed Le Mans 24 hours last weekend and thought a bit about its organization. At the end it came out, that with a LONG preparation time it would actually be possible, around August-September.

About system: it wouldn't differ much from James C's previous Le Mans compos: 6×100 km, two night stints, 5 AIs, MdP's Le Mans, etc. I've been thinking of two classes: prototypes, with teams of three and own car submission; plus GT with teams of two, a team member must not be a top driver (above a certain amount of GWR points, I think 2500 should be enough), and they need just to select and paint a car to start in race.

What do you think about this, guys?
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
puttz

Post by puttz »

Do you think we have enough newer drivers that are not very high on GWR to make a "rookie" championship worth the time and effort? It would give the less experienced racers a chance to compete against drivers of relatively equal skill. I'd be up for organizing it if there are enough non-high ranking drivers that would compete, I doubt that I would compete myself since I've got enough on my plate (in real life as well as in GR compos :P ) at the moment.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Reh

Post by Reh »

There used to be a Rookie Championship twice a year, I don't know why Buka had to stop organizing it, maybe not enough time :shrug:
I'm also willing to help if I can to keep it running...
"It's the power of simplicity in the hands of individuals that keep inspiring and challenging each other with their wonderful creations." nielske
visit www.planetgenerally.de !
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Would someone be interested to participate in a rather short (less than 8 races) championship organised by me, where the times you race are more relevant than the position to other guys? Let's say the results were like this:

Code: Select all

Name - - - Finishing time
Driver A - 3:40,00
Driver B - 3:40,50
Driver C - 3:47,51
Driver D - DNF
Usually Driver A would win (and gets e.g. 40 points for it), Driver B finishes 2nd (scoring e.g. 35 points), Driver C gets the bronze medal (e.g. 30 points) and Driver D catches the 4th place (e.g. 25 points).
What if it was made like this? For each new 0,5s you are away from the top finisher, you get one point less. Driver A sets the speed record and gets full 40 points. Driver B gets 39 points. Driver C gets 24 points and Driver D doesn't get any points.
Does that make sense? :yummy:
Reh

Post by Reh »

Well...the system is like in a rallye...why not? :)
"It's the power of simplicity in the hands of individuals that keep inspiring and challenging each other with their wonderful creations." nielske
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Just that this is meant as a race competition and not as time-trial, so you'll have opponents on the track :cool2:
puttz

Post by puttz »

In reference to the rookie championship, I've thought of another idea. How about a compo with 2 classes? One open division (group A), and a division that would function as a rookie championship with restricted entry (group B). "Rookies" would be allowed to enter both group A and B if they so desire. I've already got a carset picked out for such a compo, I just need to get permission from the carpack creator and set up a schedule and such administrative things. What does everyone else think of such a compo?
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Reh

Post by Reh »

It's always difficult to devide who is good and who is a "Rookie", especially concerning new guys (look at DrAanik in the Rookie Championship), as we have simply not only fast and slower guys. Also a faster guy could choose the rookie category knowing he (she, it) will dominate this one. And the other way round a slower driver could choose the faster category knowing he (she, it) will be at least faster (or get more points) than his (her, its) companion in the rookie category.
A qualifying (-race) could work, but there are even more up- and downturns in a single race...or a hotlap... :shrug:

well...maybe a surprise login hotlap with a lot of laps would work, as you know you will race a certain time before you start and so there are no big differences in training times between the racers...providing that no one would try to be slower just to get in the lower category.
:scratch:
Edsid

Post by Edsid »

I like the idea of a league with divisions, like football leagues.
Premier league, 1st Division, 2nd, 3rd...
Who plays in wich? A qualifing race maybe, but only for the first season.
I would be 6 players in premier, 6 in first, 6 in second, ...
In the second season the champion of 1st division in season1 promotes to premier, and the last position of premier goes to first. The same with all divisions.
If someone new wants to join in second season, must start in the last division.
If someone leaves between seasons, it will promote another driver.
The idea is short seasons (5 or 6 races).

I would organize it but dont have time neither experience to do it.
any suggestions?
krustykrab

Post by krustykrab »

Edsid:Hmm....It's can be OK.But players can battle 1vs1.
Scoring:
Won:3 Points
Loser:0 Points
Draw(???):1 Point for both two.
My idea:DRIFTING!!!
There are players sending replays to judges.
Judges gives points to players.
Judges can vote 0 to 10
Any judge vote in three categories:
Style-drifting distance,burned rubber,speed.
Control-% of time on track,driving line.
Timing:Time,not braking too much(except drifts start)
More points=higher position
Tracks are tricky,slow(i can make 1 oval round)
There are two classes:
A-Japan GT's,cars starting in Formula Drift(Ford Mustang etc.)
B-European & American Sedans,City Cars.
It's OK?
BOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
puttz

Post by puttz »

@krustykrab I think this has been tried before, and it didn't really take off. If you do want to do it, I would suggest just sticking with one division, especially since I assume this would be your first compo.
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
kuba

Post by kuba »

puttz wrote:I assume this would be your first compo.
Above is he's first post so... :)

krustykrab, why don't you first join one or two championship to see how it works in practice?
krustykrab

Post by krustykrab »

kuba:I don't great driver...
OK! Let's go!

Merged double reply from Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:31 pm:

puttz:You sugest one class?(A+B=No classes)
BOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LorSong

Post by LorSong »

Hi there... Why there is no champs where you need to make car by yourself (settings in some limits)... For me, it's very interesting to set car for one track... somewhere you need more greep or power, or aerodinamics.
It's not difficult too give much free with car settings, and make system easy for understand.

For example you have "awfull" car, with no power and grip and etc., and you have... 1000$, and price fo example
1 power -1$
1 downforce - 3$
-0.1 Air resistanse - 10$

So, for each track, best settings will be different, especially if tracks much different.
ivaneurope

Post by ivaneurope »

I have some concepts for big competitions:
1.FIFA World Cup format - a compo between nation with host 1 or 2 nations on multiple venues.
2.Olympic format/Cycling format/Athletics format - a series of events, including Road Race, TT, 100m, 200m, Marathon etc.
Co-creator of BTCC 2011 and BTCC 2012 by Herbal; Themed Formula Packs (in collaboration with Np2003) with Lukeno94 car.
Founder of International GeneRally Racing League (IGRL) with zgr and Np2003.
Follow Ivaneurope Motorsports at: https://www.facebook.com/IvaneuropeMotorsports
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

The Olympic format might be good, with everyone winning medals for their countries...
Dany

Post by Dany »

Bouncebackability wrote:The Olympic format might be good, with everyone winning medals for their countries...
:iagree:

Could be a really nice event! Rallycross or tracks with jumps would also be good types of race! :bg:
Visit http://www.planet-generally.de !!

Number 1: Rookie of the Month March 2011

Part of the planetgenerally.de Team
MidnightRunner

Post by MidnightRunner »

What about a multi-discipline championship with different car types too?

A "rally car" - good for off-road tracks, good in tight turns, average power, downforce and top speed, bad grip on tarmac;
An "IndyCar" - open wheel good for oval tracks, bad in tight turns, average grip and downforce, great power and top speed, horrible on off-road tracks;
A "Formula car" - open wheel good for road circuits, great in tight turns, great grip and downforce, average power, bad top speed, horrible on off-road tracks;

The first three rounds would be focused in each one of the cars discipline. Then for the next rounds the disciplines would mixed: oval+rally, oval+road, road+rally and then rally+road+oval.
The drivers would be free to choose their cars for every round. Example: Driver 1 can choose Rally Car for rally+road, Driver 2 choose "Formula" for the same round.

Maybe a different tyre wear and fuel consuption for each car would be interesting too, if it is possible.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Random idea: A series using my VW Caddy 140PS and Ford Transit Sport vans, 5 races or so long, where you have to race in the bus in one of the rounds, and receive double points for whatever you score in that race.
Gimpek

Post by Gimpek »

Hi, I would like ask you all: if would you like take part in something like the World Championship Cycling Track. I will plan it in January/February.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Why not? Sounds like great idea! :bg:
Dany

Post by Dany »

Do you think about something like the "Tour de France"? So a TT? I'm interested in driving the bikes! :bg:
Visit http://www.planet-generally.de !!

Number 1: Rookie of the Month March 2011

Part of the planetgenerally.de Team
puttz

Post by puttz »

Here's a really interesting idea for a competition: each entrant creates a track (doesn't have to be real fancy, but must be driveable and have certain parameters, such as being created for 1.10c or below, have a ws within a certain range, must be tarmac, etc.), or submits a track they had previously created, or perhaps at least chooses a track to be put in the schedule (providing proper permission is obtained). Then once all tracks are submitted by a certain deadline, the races start. I'm thinking a brief hotlap race (5-10 laps) using a spec car. I'd put a cap of maybe 10-15 entrants so that there wouldn't be an insane number of rounds. What do you think of this idea?
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I'd love to see another season of East European open championship - maybe Buka can organise it early next year before the next GRC... ;)