Car Ideas, W.I.P. and Teasers/Trailers

"Real men drive 40 polygons." You'll find some here.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Car Ideas, W.I.P. and Teasers/Trailers

Post by XYY »

@ACM: isn't it quite simple?
Front tyres: 225/50 VR16
Rear tyres: 255/50 VR16 (both taken from german :wiki: ikipedia)
So you get 16"+0.5*225mm = 406.4mm+112.5mm = 518.9mm for the front tyres and 16"+0.5*255mm = 406.4mm+127.5mm = 533.9mm
Although it seems to be quite small if you ask me... :scratch: the real thing should be about 660mm or similar...
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Model is too low, bottom polygons are clipping through the surface. Otherwise nice.

Personally for model sizes I prefer not to use "1 unit = 1 meter". For length and width maximum I use model length/width in inches and divide by 8, for heights by four. This gives nice proportions and still close to the real model in terms of look.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
ACM

Post by ACM »

@XYY: I didn't quite know what those figures meant. Thanks for explaining it. :oops:
XYY wrote:Although it seems to be quite small if you ask me... :scratch: the real thing should be about 660mm or similar...
Do you have sources to back this up?

@Haruna: It's not so much that the bottom goes through the ground. It's just the game engine does something to geometry that gets close. But I will look into this.

I just did a quick calculation using your values. The results would make the car a bit smaller, but don't seem too different to what the proportions are now. Thanks for the advice anyway.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

@ACM: I have no proper sources for the 660 milimetres, but it was an approximation of a blueprint. Also 540 millimetres seem quite small, I've made many cars and that wouldn't just make sense, because then it would be 20mm bigger than a wheel of a Mini of 1965 :doh: In general, I think bigger is better (at least for GR cars), but it's your decision after all.
And the calculation, I'm not exactly sure, but I think that's what my father told me once. The 0,5 is btw determined by the second number (so if you have a 225/80 tyre it will be 80% of 225mm). Btw, this is also the reason why most supercars with very big rims and "thin" tyres have got a smaller 2nd value for the rear wheels because they usually have got wider tyres in the rear. And IIRC, if there was no second value, it's 80 by default.

Example: Corvette ZR1
Tyres front: Michelin Pilot Sport 2 P285/30 ZR 19
Tyres rear: Michelin Pilot Sport 2 P335/25 ZR 20
So as the front tyre is not as wide (only 285) the 2nd value has to be bigger there because if it was the same, the front tyre would be even "thinner" than the rear tyre. As how it's now, they're quite similarly thin (85.5mm for the front and 83.75mm for the rear wheels).
I hope you understand what I mean :worried:
ACM

Post by ACM »

Thanks for your insight!
Szmajli

Post by Szmajli »

I made the evo9's front a bit higher as you said XYY, Then I added the C-pillar for the subaru. And I centered the cars :)
What do you think now?
Attachments
Group R4
Group R4
My Tracks & Cars
Tracks: Kakucsring, Rabocsiring ([rwl] Rallycross tracks)
Cars: FIA Group R4, FIA Group R5(Car of the Month), FIA Group RRC, Seat Leon Eurocup 2014, Suzuki Swift Cup Europe 2014, Seat Leon Szuperkupa 2008, Copa Tiida 2011

Pronounce my name like Smiley.
Otto Wilson
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Otto Wilson »

I think that you will be a great carmaker :bg:
But about the cars, I think the headlights of the Evo IX are to far behind, making the entire front looks thin and round, would be nice too if you make the bumper vents somehow, and the spoilers on both evos could be more like the real thing, 2 polies need though, so dont bother if you dont have, its just a small detail :yummy:

PS: Its 'Group N4' not R4 :P
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Not strictly true. Group R4 is what these cars are classified as nowadays, and compete as nowadays - even if they were built as Group N4 cars. ;)
Szmajli

Post by Szmajli »

Otto Wilson wrote:I think that you will be a great carmaker :bg:
But about the cars, I think the headlights of the Evo IX are to far behind, making the entire front looks thin and round, would be nice too if you make the bumper vents somehow, and the spoilers on both evos could be more like the real thing, 2 polies need though, so dont bother if you dont have, its just a small detail :yummy:

PS: Its 'Group N4' not R4 :P
Thank you!
I cant imagine whats wrong with the evo. But now that you said that its too "round" I see. I will modify it.
But its impossible to do the vents. I need 2 more vertexes, and at least 2 more polys... but I dont have any :D
The evo IX and X have 30 vertexes and 40 polys.

And yes. R4 is very close to the N4, but there are more changes allowed in the R4 cars to be closer to the S2000 class.
:)
My Tracks & Cars
Tracks: Kakucsring, Rabocsiring ([rwl] Rallycross tracks)
Cars: FIA Group R4, FIA Group R5(Car of the Month), FIA Group RRC, Seat Leon Eurocup 2014, Suzuki Swift Cup Europe 2014, Seat Leon Szuperkupa 2008, Copa Tiida 2011

Pronounce my name like Smiley.
ACM

Post by ACM »

I just have one more question relating to car physics:

I notice another attribute to cars is front/back weight distribution measured in percentages. I'd like to know how some of you think this translates into GeneRally car physics.
Haruna
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Haruna »

Balance, and if grip is calculated from tire data, grip as well.
"In my world, we don't have enemies. Only rivals.
In my world, our dreams become REALITY."

-- World Endurance Championship 2015 Promotion
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

This was one tough car to make! I could have used ~8 polies more! :shock:
shot0026.gif
shot0026.gif (11.63 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
At least I think it was worth the work, I rate it as one of my best-looking cars :)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I'd like some advice on the following one, this is Will Davison's V8 Falcon, and I'm not sure which livery I should take. :|

Also comments on the Alfa are still welcome :geek:
Attachments
WillDavison.gif
puttz

Post by puttz »

Why not release both :shrug:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Niko K

Post by Niko K »

User defined colors would be highly appreciated. :shhh:
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

@puttz: I could do it, but I'm not really a fan of that. :| I think each driver should get only one car :P
@Niko K: Don't worry, I'll release blank cars as well ;)
ACM

Post by ACM »

Top left one looks more like the photo.
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

lalalala :shhh:
Attachments
4 supertourers.png
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

Comments/criticisms/witticisms?
Paw

Post by Paw »

Is it continuation from that cars few pages before (BTCC)? It seems, that I wasn't first to have an idea to make ST pack :roll: But you're getting it in very detailed way by the cars you've shown us in your last post. I found like 2 or 3 photos of that Subaru, never heard of it at all. Where do you search for those cars?
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

It is a continuation of a super touring pack, yes. I've basically found out the cars from the entry lists of championships that used the Supertouring rules. The plan is to make every single unique model, plus liveries for every championship winner (so, naturally, there are lots of A4s and E36s). I am having major difficulties finding 1996 STCC pictures or videos (to make a Volvo 960, car #8 run by Bridgestone Sweden), 1994 PROCAR pictures or videos (to make a Mercedes C200 W202, car #22 run by Pino Racing), Australian 2 Litre Touring Car Championship/Australian Manufacturer's Championship/Australian Super Touring Championship pictures or videos, so if anyone can provide links to these, I would be extremely grateful. Also helpful would be any pictures from the CFS (Championnat de France de Supertourisme), CET (Campeonato de España de Turismo), CESC (Central European Supertouring Car Championship), or any other series that ran Super Touring cars (note I don't need links to BTCC stuff, I'm probably OK with JTCC, STCC and STW stuff, excluding that Volvo). Even without pictures, I can make placeholder models, to be liveried up when pictures present themselves.
Paw

Post by Paw »

I got similar idea, but I wanted to limit myself to more known series, and mostly the latter years of the spec. Preferably 1994 onwards, with multiple versions of each car if they were present (especially BTCC pre- and post-aerodynamics rule change). For example two, or even three Lagunas. I'm aiming for about 25-30 cars. I'm saying this, so I won't be called copycat if I would made my pack later :P

But to keep this thread's reason - W.I.P.s, I'm posting something not directly related to the above:
Attachments
BMW.jpg
puttz

Post by puttz »

Can you guess what this is going to be? :D
Attachments
Newcar.jpg
Newcar.jpg (4.57 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

The Deltawing.
puttz

Post by puttz »

Yep, that's the one :bg: Hopefully I can get it to look somewhat decent...
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff