Track Ideas, W.I.P. Previews and Teasers v2

Gravel, tarmac, snow. Whatever the surface, you'll find it here.
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Track Ideas, W.I.P. Previews and Teasers v2

Post by XYY »

Thanks for the quick responses! I made a second version with these changes:
- bit reduced size of the GP track
- various changes to make fast sectors of the track also a bit faster in GR
- the distance between Karussell and Eschbach (top right) would have made it impossible to put there any scenery, so I tried to increase it
@BBA: The idea came when I signed up Gzehoo's endurance champ, because there is no Nordschleife with the GP track (=24 hour track). :shhh:
@TH: tried to change the chicane
@boomwagon: thanks for this bit longer test :) . No, the sunktyres aren't going to stay there, I just put them there to see how restrictive the layout would be to drive (especially in the corners) because sometimes there's only a difference of 2px which makes a chicane a chicane or a flat-out kink. ;) The new test version still has those sunktyres, but I deleted them around the straights :) But, I have to disappoint you, I plan to make the armco rather close to the track (3-4px maybe :scratch: ). But everyone can set their own custom damage value, so If you're bored of driving your wrecked car to the pits over and over again, you can just reduce the value in the options :mrgreen:
I also thought to just not make some curves, but I can't really decide which ones. :weep:
Attachments
nordschleife-24h.zip
(6.65 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

XYY, I understand it's one of that "mini" track, not typical rwl?
Upcoming: Corse de Vivedo | Sandhill | Rockfield | Calton Park | Riviera | I.D | I.D | I.D
ALL TRACKS
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

After second test only a detail, Galgenkopf IMHO should be bit more unique, now its as large in radius like little karousell preceding it. :scratch: All else done is improvement. :)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

@ Yonnie: You mean mini rwl like Minza, Minturkey and Rivears? No, I want to make it like a typical rwl... :?

Ivo: thanks, I'm going to fix it. There are several places where I combined some kinks and short straights between them to one long corner, I'll have to change it especially there ;)
Krisu
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Krisu »

@XYY: Even if it's quite important realism-wise, I think you could leave the last "shicane" (that isn't a shicane in real life, I know) out, then you'd have a long straight there, just to simulate the very long back straight of the real track ;) Then you'd be able to add more pits too :)
My latest creation: F-Astor Junior

I know only that I do not know

Long live speed, thrash, death, black and doom metal without forgetting grindcore!
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

What, this is not a chicane? :?
chicane.jpg
For me it clearly is a chicane. Especially it's important because otherwise the cars would have their top speed at the end of the S-F straight, which is clearly not the case in real life. Of course it is a possibility, but I don't really want to take out especially this corner (I tried so hard to get in all the corners in the north of the track and then I should take out the corner which is so easy to make and important for the layout?). Sorry, nope. :P
Krisu
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Krisu »

Alright, I remembered it wrong then :D Ah, originally, back in the late 60's, it WAS a shicane, now to think about it.
And I understand your point, but that was only a suggestion :) I'm still looking forward to this ;)
My latest creation: F-Astor Junior

I know only that I do not know

Long live speed, thrash, death, black and doom metal without forgetting grindcore!
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Look at this video and start it at 9:10 ;) it's from 05/2013 ;)
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

Hmm yeah, the entry of my chicane could be a tad smoother... ;) Thanks for the video, it doesn't come out that well on aerial photos and I haven't made much research yet :D
Emil Patanen
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Emil Patanen »

What do people think about this layout of Irungattukottai? Is it good or should I perhaps change something on it?
Attachments
Irungattukottai_layout.jpg
Latest releases:
Tracks: [ovl] Riabate | [cir] Yeavy | [mic] [ovl] Xandom ||| More at My Website
Cars: [cpk] Update of Original GeneRally Cars by Emil
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I don't know if it feels right driving the track, but by judging an aerial and a track map I think the straight in the very top could be a bit shorter (while the next straight after s-curve could be slightly longer). Also, the kink on that second straight I mentioned could be much harder.
Maybe it's also enough to just make the kink harder so that the proportion between the two straights is a bit better :bg:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I think 1st bend would deserve larger radius, also maybe some extension of short straight before turn 5 and the left-hander introducing the double turn 6-7 right-hander? :scratch:

Great idea, Emil, cannot wait for this one. :bg:
Emil Patanen
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Emil Patanen »

I have made the changes suggested by both of you to the track and it indeed looks better now. Here is a picture of how it looks like now. Do I have to make any more changes?
Attachments
Irungattukottai_layout3.jpg
Latest releases:
XYY
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by XYY »

I don't think you can make that layout much better ;)
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

IMHO few more tweaks based on this map on track's site: http://www.madrasmotorsports.in/images/newtrack.jpg

1st curve seems still too small (compared to last one), s/f straight looks too long (compare position beginning of the 1st bend and the 'back' straight between turns 2 and 3)
2nd looks to me like 90°, Emil's over 90°
3rd on opposite less than 90°, Emil's looks too open
The short straight between eses (in 2nd half of track) looks set 90° to the straight after 1st kink. Also this straight could be longer - by closing the small left-hander just after large bend in top-left.

I hope it's understandable. :shrug:
Emil Patanen
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Emil Patanen »

Trigger Happy wrote:1st curve seems still too small (compared to last one), s/f straight looks too long (compare position beginning of the 1st bend and the 'back' straight between turns 2 and 3)
I now made the first corner bit larger and also made the last corner little smaller, so that the first corner would look bigger compared to last corner.
Trigger Happy wrote:The short straight between eses (in 2nd half of track) looks set 90° to the straight after 1st kink.
That angle was already quite close to 90° already (it was < 91° according to SnakeDitor). It just happens to look different in GR, when it's looked from different PoV. I attached a picture of lmap also now, so you can see that straight is set 90° to the latter mentioned straight.

Also did the other changes you suggested.

If there isn't anything else needing to be tweaked, I can start to work more on the track now :)
Attachments
Irungattukottai_layout4.jpg
#Kottai_Lmap.jpg
Latest releases:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

It's now very correct :clap:, but I still see some small room for improvement :hide:, however if to do it or not rather depends on preference how you want to place the layout into lmap, maybe it is like it is on purpose. :scratch: I draw it into pic, basically it's related to the short straight in circle:
Attachments
asdf.png
Emil Patanen
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Emil Patanen »

I think I will leave the layout as it is now, because it is already closer to the world edge than I would prefer and that change wouldn't make the situation any better. Thanks a lot for helping with layout, Trigger Happy and XYY :bg: I think that from here onwards I will survive on my own :)
Latest releases:
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Emil the ZZW wrote:I think that from here onwards I will survive on my own :)
Fingers crossed, only, please, promise us, that you'll keep making backups this time. :mrgreen:
Areen

Post by Areen »

Hello guys. :) I present you my new wip, the track is called Qwerza. I have some questions for you guys, because I'm looking for tips to improve the track and my trackmaking skills :)

1. Is this track looks good? I'm asking about general layout and the hmap.
2. What do you think about the scenery. The aim is to make a track in mid 70's or 80's.
3. Is it worth finishing? I'm feeling like this track is weak and I don't know what to think about it.

Every tip is important for me. Thanks in advantage for helping me :)
Attachments
#Qwerza.rar
(24.15 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
qwerza.png
Last edited by Areen on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Milek

Post by Milek »

A lot of hay bale. Very a lot of. It look bad for me.
But rest look very good !
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Personally I think it would be better if you drove it in the other direction.
happy412

Post by happy412 »

I totally agree with BBA; if one drives clockwise, the first corner after s/f might be a little bite like the Eau-Rouge ;)
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

plus you have the banked downhill into the hairpin, it would be a real challenge getting the crest of the penultimate corner right to get through the hairpin quickly :yummy:
TuomoH
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by TuomoH »

@Areen: Before I opened the screen I thought it'd be clockwise so I agree with others about the direction. The beginning looks very lovely and I'm very much looking forward to it. :bg: