Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Re: Developer Blog

Post by Crowella »

James Burgess wrote:I think we can definitely consider providing some options to preserve existing tracks more faithfully. I'll have a chat with Kimmo and Markku, to see if they think it would be viable to do that, and if we can come up with some ideas for it. There's one approach tentatively on our 'hmm, would this work?'-list, that might require a bit more investigation :) Rest assured, this is something that's really important to us.
You can always run "heritage" objects based on the track version? :shrug: Either way, you guys look like you've left a lot of avenues open for thought and changes. :bg:
View my archived circuits/cars here
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Im proud of you, team! Well done for your work so far and thanks for keeping us informed. :)
Gentlemens, start your engines!
DuklaLiberec

Post by DuklaLiberec »

Your latest blog entry was a rather good appetiser to what will come next. All in all, well explained chaps. :yummy:
Next week, we’ll have a behind-the-scenes video of Kimmo creating one of the new cars for the Sequel, and he’ll talk you through our decision-making regarding car design!  There’s lots to look forward to.
Indeed there is. :nod: I am wondering what these cars are like.
mayfly

Post by mayfly »

Great updates and very very excited on the new generally game. Sensible idea with Unity. Will we see an Xbox / Ps3 edition =O!?
Can;t wait for more updates and the Generally in Jan to jump on board and help support. Keep up the work =)
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Yup, perfectly straightforward - the terrain is generated from our own track format which contains the heightmap, landmap, etc. At the end of the day, Unity is just an engine, what we do with it is entirely up to us (by-and-large) :)
Ok, good to hear that you can still work it like that. I guess the other devs are just lazy and want everything to be static. :shhh: :D

Certain objects will be subject to some nice physics... you'll be wanting to place a lot of cones and hay bales in the TE, I feel ;)
Well, I was thinking about doing a comeback track, so maybe I'll wait until 2.0 for these... :scratch:
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

It's that time again folks... here's a post in which Kimmo talks about the cars, and also shows us his modelling technique through a nice little time-lapse video!

Enjoy :)
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

The car looks great imo and I'm sure if you took the time to learn the software used you could turn them around pretty quickly. Its just the learning that takes time
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Bouncebackability wrote:The car looks great imo and I'm sure if you took the time to learn the software used you could turn them around pretty quickly. Its just the learning that takes time
Well, we're still looking into options to simplify the process even further - not sure where that will lead, but we'll see what we can come up with :) That said, I have exactly zero 3D modelling skill, and even I can whip up a 200 poly car in not too long at all - so I'm confident our current car gurus will quickly find their feet!
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I believe if you have the patience you can learnq quickly Blender. This is one amazing FEE program and I love to see that you are using it. :) The best option is a tutorial on the forum.

Well done for the 200 polygon limit. That's fine by GR2 standarts.

Next it will be cool if we have something like pre-alpha videos to watch...
puttz

Post by puttz »

I'm liking the the new car, and I think the 200 poly limit is much better. But one problem. What about a head? The cars will look rather strange without a head in the cockpit. As for an editor, if you could provide a tool for making cars that goes with the game, that might be nice, something along the lines of Juan's car editor would be optimal so you have a model editor and physics editor all in one. Perhaps that could be a Kickstarter stretch goal or something. Finally, I think custom liveries should be a no-no. Stick to the original poly coloring method, but have a much broader palette of colors to choose from than in the original GR. Probably one of the most annoying things about painting cars in GR1 is the lack of a large range of colors, and complete lack of proper oranges or purples, and few options of some other colors (green, red, yellow). Perhaps an RGB coloring system would be best if that is possible, with the ability to make a custom pallete to quickly pick your desired colors. Maybe increase the number of player/AI colors to 3 instead of 2, to allow for more diverse driver-specific liveries.
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I hope the car is just a base or an exercise and not new default formula model, it doesn't look very creative or original, rather just a copy-current-F1-without-a-thought. :scratch: Everything else looks OK. :-)
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

puttz wrote:As for an editor, if you could provide a tool for making cars that goes with the game, that might be nice, something along the lines of Juan's car editor would be optimal so you have a model editor and physics editor all in one.
It seems to me a sensible idea indeed, and although I am not a master of programming, but I know the basics of Visual Studio, and I'm still going to have courses from it (for about a year), so I suppose I'm going to learn to use VS kinda well. In the worst case I could build a car editor, but that would be my biggest nightmare, as I hate that program... :mad:
puttz wrote:Finally, I think custom liveries should be a no-no. Stick to the original poly coloring method, but have a much broader palette of colors to choose from than in the original GR. Probably one of the most annoying things about painting cars in GR1 is the lack of a large range of colors, and complete lack of proper oranges or purples, and few options of some other colors (green, red, yellow). Perhaps an RGB coloring system would be best if that is possible, with the ability to make a custom pallete to quickly pick your desired colors.
As I've seen it in the video, Kimmo used Blender for constructing cars. As I know that program, too (also studying using Blender...), GR2 cars will definitely support using RGB palette on cars.
puttz wrote:Maybe increase the number of player/AI colors to 3 instead of 2, to allow for more diverse driver-specific liveries.
It is not that important to have a tertiary AI color IMO. It is just unnecessary to set a tertiary color to such small cars, although an other reason, say the poly limit is not going to be a problem anymore.
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

puttz wrote:What about a head? The cars will look rather strange without a head in the cockpit.
There'll be a head - don't lose your hea... oh, wait :D
As for an editor, if you could provide a tool for making cars that goes with the game, that might be nice, something along the lines of Juan's car editor would be optimal so you have a model editor and physics editor all in one. Perhaps that could be a Kickstarter stretch goal or something.
We're going to have at least a rudimentary car editor out of the box, no doubts - but one of our stretch goals is a more fully-fledged editor. I can't promise it'll be an all-singing, all-dancing 3D modelling tool - but, we will definitely aim for the best trade-off between development time and ease-of-use that we can!
Finally, I think custom liveries should be a no-no. Stick to the original poly coloring method, but have a much broader palette of colors to choose from than in the original GR.
I agree 100% here - and I'm fairly certain Markku and Kimmo are of the same opinion.
Trigger Happy wrote:I hope the car is just a base or an exercise and not new default formula model, it doesn't look very creative or original, rather just a copy-current-F1-without-a-thought.
Pretty much everything we've put out before, and going forward, is up for critique - nothing is in its final state this early in the process (and feedback from the community is vital) :) I'm sure Kimmo will be monitoring this thread with great interest to see what folks think of the car itself!
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

I feel we'll see in future dozens of very similar realistic F1-like models (wings arrangement, proportions etc) by people from community and I'd wish the default formula would be again something bit more special, distinctively/unmistakeably ''formula from GR'', in some way iconic like the formula in the GR1. :-)
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

"For me, personally, that means simple yet recognisable appearance, simple colours, fun handling and spherical wheels. The last one is the most important as it really define a GeneRally car"

Will there be the possibility to make normal shape tyres instead of the spericial wheels?
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Trigger Happy wrote:I feel we'll see in future dozens of very similar realistic F1-like models (wings arrangement, proportions etc) by people from community and I'd wish the default formula would be again something bit more special, distinctively/unmistakeably ''formula from GR'', in some way iconic like the formula in the GR1. :-)
Yeah, that would be nice to see.

And I'm too against car custom liveries.

Good work guys, keep up the good work :bg:
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

jefcam wrote:Will there be the possibility to make normal shape tyres instead of the spericial wheels?
It's something we can certainly consider - though I'm hesitant to go "all the way" on supporting normal tyres. Maybe something a bit more like spherical wheels with flattened sides could prove an option. It's something we'll definitely put on the "to consider" list, and come back to it sometime in the alpha testing phase :)
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

LongBow wrote:And I'm too against car custom liveries.
In some reasonable cases I might use it: at grilles and other small details. But not for whole chassis, though. Out of that, what will be with windshields? May we set for them custom opacity or should they be "full-color"?
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

jefcam wrote:"For me, personally, that means simple yet recognisable appearance, simple colours, fun handling and spherical wheels. The last one is the most important as it really define a GeneRally car"

Will there be the possibility to make normal shape tyres instead of the spericial wheels?
I personal wouldn't like to see this option. Its guaranteed that people will over time go towards the regular shape and then the iconic feature is lost
ACM

Post by ACM »

The new Formula model looks ace, I would keep it as it is(or at least in the same vein).

Since when do cars have to not be derivative?
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I have to agree, the model looks great. I think it's good that there's enough detail to be recognisable but still simple. :)
View my archived circuits/cars here
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Good stuff again, although I can't comment much on this aspect as I have zero knowledge on how to make the cars. :P What comes to the shape, I like it. If it has to be more generalliyiyish, maybe try making it so the wheels create a square. The original seemed to have the tyres so that they were rather wider than longer. I think that would be a bit extreme with the added detail, but almost square shape might work.
Herbal wrote:Out of that, what will be with windshields? May we set for them custom opacity or should they be "full-color"?
Mmm, I'm not sure about opacity. It would require some of the polys to be used for the interior. I'd say maybe have a checkbox or something for "windows" which creates a fully reflective surface. It should be enough considering we're not driving them from behind or inside.
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
Szmajli

Post by Szmajli »

Personally I'm against the liveries too. But I welcome the 200 polys. That number enough for me to do every car what I want. (I think 80-100 would be enough too :) ) More details, but simple looks :) that is what we need! Keep up guys! :)
And yeah, we need the spherical wheels! :D
My Tracks & Cars
Tracks: Kakucsring, Rabocsiring ([rwl] Rallycross tracks)
Cars: FIA Group R4, FIA Group R5(Car of the Month), FIA Group RRC, Seat Leon Eurocup 2014, Suzuki Swift Cup Europe 2014, Seat Leon Szuperkupa 2008, Copa Tiida 2011

Pronounce my name like Smiley.
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Wow, what a change with the formula, it's beautiful ! I can't imagine all we can do in the future ! I only hope it will not be as difficult as the actual car editor in GR1...
And I think there is a problem with the formula but... look at the front. There is a bit of plastic wing missing, just at the right of the tire in front of us (sorry if I describe very very badly).
And at the picture of the track, when I see the grass, I feel that something is missing, like mud. Just a little mud in the grass here and here, like we do on GR1 tracks (dithering I think we say) and it will be perfect ! Some contrast will make a great effect on the look of the track !
I'm conforting like others that you will keep spherical tires and the head on the car, definitely GR characteristics !
And great to hear that we can see the roof of our car ! Maybe there will be possibilities for cars to race on their two sides... :roll:
Apart of these very little problems, I'm very happy of the way you develop GR2 and the way you show us all you do !
I'm very curious of what GR2 will be. Keep up your great work ! :bg:

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

The idea about special editor sounds cool. :) I agree with everything said above - more colors, no liveries, ONLY GR wheels and at all very good progress so far!

I will try to make my first car also when this editor appear...