Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
cocney

Re: Developer Blog

Post by cocney »

I always liked Generally for it's simplicity, size (it is magnificent), and all the possibilities you were able to do with it to enjoy even more ( making tracks, cars). It is also cool that it is free but we are entering something new and big and it simply can't come for free. New bigger game, more options and... everything is more complicated. I don't care if game will be on Steam or shareware, freeware. I would just like to see this lovely game with a new face. From additional stuffs and gifts boxed game and T-shirts sound good. Other things are just too useless. James and co are under a big pressure that has been put over them by US and I'm sure that they are giving their best for this game and community. Keep up the good work and make us happy in the end :bg: !
Since I am a 15 year old kid, I doubt that I'll give some money but I'll try.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Glen

Post by Glen »

cocney wrote:James and co are under a big pressure that has been put over them by US
I agree, and you could add some dithering!
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

First off, I'd like to address the issues surrounding that tweet we put out that mentioned Steam Greenlight:
  1. Being on Steam, these days, does not mean agreeing to any actual, practical DRM (other than the Steam client/account system itself). A number of independently-released games provide a DRM-free release of the game, via Steam, that can be copied directly out of the Steamapps folder to anywhere else and run without Steam being running. I already do this with several games I've personally bought on Steam, and it works a charm. If we did manage to succeed on Steam Greenlight, this would be the route we'd be aiming to take.
  2. Steam is not an exclusive platform, we could distribute in other ways, too (and we plan to) - but it is a valuable way to increase audience and make distribution to that increased audience simple and straightforward.
  3. Being on Steam would not, as far as we're aware, necessitate any change in the system requirements for the game itself.
  4. It'd be all subject to us getting the requisite number of votes on Greenlight, anyway :)
Secondly, I'd like to mention that we'll be putting up a small survey a little bit later today (edit: will be later this week, now) to gauge opinions on the perks and suitable tiers of rewards - so we can see what the general consensus on our proposed structure would be. Obviously, we don't want to ask for any more money than absolutely necessary to get the job done - but we do want you guys to feel like your rewards not only mean something to us, but to you as well :)
Buka wrote:Can someone explain to me how I need to donate money to get three full copies of GR? :hide: One payment for 24 pounds, or three payments for 8 pounds with one credit card, or three payments with three cards?
I'm not exactly sure about this - I've never personally tried to fund one project multiple times on Kickstarter and I can't find any guidance on the Kickstarter website about it. I would presume the most hassle that you'd have to go to is making payments three times over three KS accounts/emails (but could still use the same card). If that's too much hassle or a problem in any way, drop me an email or a PM here during the KS process and we can work something out so you don't have to go through that rigmarole :)
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I think many Kickstarters create separate tiers for people that want multiple copies of the finished product.
I like short, simple signatures!
resir014

Post by resir014 »

Question to you James, if the game is greenlit, then would the Steam version include some of the features available on the Steamworks platform, like achievements, workshop or even Steam-based multiplayer?
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

And what about the multiplayer function? If some Host will be hosting "lobby" and he will choose some track, which he downloaded from forum, what about other guys, which didn't download it yet? Will be there some automatic downloading function, or in multiplayer will be official tracks only?
That makes me say another question...What tracks will be original tracks? Are you going to some tracks by yourself, or are you going to do some contest from guys, who get the alpha/beta version of the game?
Thanks for Answer James :)
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
blastawaythewall

Post by blastawaythewall »

Hi all,

Anyone knows if widescreen format will be supported?
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

blastawaythewall wrote:Hi all,

Anyone knows if widescreen format will be supported?
Because of current standards of notebook and monitor resolutions, I am sure GR is going to support widescreen formats.
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
blastawaythewall

Thanks! Makes sense. Widescreen format tracks would be super sweet!
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

We've just popped up a short developer blog post asking folks to contribute their responses to our Kickstarter Survey - it's just a few short questions about your likes/dislikes regarding the perks/stretch goals we're considering offering and we'd really value the feedback :)

As for the posts in this thread I've yet to catch up on...
resir014 wrote:Question to you James, if the game is greenlit, then would the Steam version include some of the features available on the Steamworks platform, like achievements, workshop or even Steam-based multiplayer?
I wouldn't be averse to these things, except possibly the multiplayer aspect (as I'd like to keep all versions compatible, rather than create any kind of divide). The other aspects I wouldn't mind seeing in some form or other, but we'll really have to wait and see what the Steam SDK offers us if and when we succeed on Greenlight :)
FRUKIScze wrote:And what about the multiplayer function? If some Host will be hosting "lobby" and he will choose some track, which he downloaded from forum, what about other guys, which didn't download it yet? Will be there some automatic downloading function, or in multiplayer will be official tracks only?
I think it wouldn't really be worth having if it was only "official" tracks - we'll have something in place to try and ensure that racing with others is as straightforward as possible, I'm sure :)
That makes me say another question...What tracks will be original tracks? Are you going to some tracks by yourself, or are you going to do some contest from guys, who get the alpha/beta version of the game?
We'll have some made by us, some made by our current closed alpha testers, and we'll have some that will be created in partnership with some of our Kickstarter backers - the proportions of these, though, I'm not sure as yet. I'd like to ensure there are at least a couple of each 'major' type of track, so that people downloading just the base game can get a good, rounded experience :)
blastawaythewall wrote:Anyone knows if widescreen format will be supported?
We'll have as broad resolution support as we can - obviously, there are oddities that come from having to adapt things to different aspect ratios, but we'll be doing our best to support as many modern hardware configurations as possible!
puttz

Post by puttz »

Survey completed :bg:
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

I'm only at the second page of the survey ("Kickstarter Rewards"), but I want to stop here to make sure that I (and other people!) understand exactly what this question is asking. Some of the items on this page are game features (e.g. 'Online Multiplayer'). Is this question asking how interested I am...

-In this feature in general?
-In paying extra money for this feature (above the 8 pounds or whatever 'base price' for the Kickstarter)?
-In this feature being part of the 'base price' for the Kickstarter?
-Something else?

And if these features were a reward, what model would they be under? Temporarily available only to KS backers, forever available only to KS backers, available to everyone after the KS was released... These are important questions, and I don't think I can accurately answer the survey without knowing exactly what it is asking. Nor do I think that you will get the type of data you are looking for from such unclear questions.
L.Felipe

Post by L.Felipe »

I rather have a InGame Login system than a on-line multiplayer. I don't know why, but i feel like after all this years we made the game work so fine without this on-line feature, our creativity on organizing compos became such a strong characteristic of the game.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

bduddy wrote:I'm only at the second page of the survey ("Kickstarter Rewards"), but I want to stop here to make sure that I (and other people!) understand exactly what this question is asking. Some of the items on this page are game features (e.g. 'Online Multiplayer'). Is this question asking how interested I am...

-In this feature in general?
-In paying extra money for this feature (above the 8 pounds or whatever 'base price' for the Kickstarter)?
-In this feature being part of the 'base price' for the Kickstarter?
-Something else?
This is asking how interested you'd be in that feature, if it was only available to contributors. For clarity, we're not offering different game features at different funding tiers - this is simply intended to find out whether you'd consider that particular perk/reward or feature a reasonable means to 'justify' the cost of contributing for you :)

Already we've had nearly 200 responses (so thanks to everyone who has completed it), and we're already seeing some adjustments we could make to the KS funding tiers in light of it. After we close the survey (a few days from now), I'll put up a blog post with a summary of the results and what it means for the funding goal and the reward tiers :)
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

We've just posted another developer blog summarising the results of the Kickstarter Survey. Thanks to everyone for their contributions :)
duck

Post by duck »

Wow it looks like the goal will be possible after all
Ol7hYa

Post by Ol7hYa »

And why not instead of having to buy the game, get the download links on YT (being a partner) and then somewhere you get money in the amount of visitors that you have in the link (adf.ly or paybucks.ly) If you understand me, to have money without people wanting to have GeneRally but without having to pay it. I mean, to not have to pay it because my parents will not let me spend money on games xD also other links (such as redirects from one page to another) could be in adf.ly or paybucks.ly
Sorry for my bad english!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Ol7hYa wrote:And why not instead of having to buy the game, get the download links on YT (being a partner) and then somewhere you get money in the amount of visitors that you have in the link (adf.ly or paybucks.ly) If you understand me, to have money without people wanting to have GeneRally but without having to pay it. I mean, to not have to pay it because my parents will not let me spend money on games xD also other links (such as redirects from one page to another) could be in adf.ly or paybucks.ly
Sadly, I don't think methods like that make nearly enough money to fund what James and co. want to do...
Glen

Post by Glen »

some news? :)
Ol7hYa

Post by Ol7hYa »

BDuddy, you're rigth! I don't think it :C But, I don't agree with the idea of pay it xD
Sorry for my bad english!
Elharter

Post by Elharter »

some news? We are here in Austria/Vienna around 20 peoples and waiting for an update... or a kickstarter project for paying and be a part of GTR.
We need a multiplayer-support and global Ladder-System like BF3/BF4/GTR6/... to build interesting leagues.
Glen

Post by Glen »

GR2 not GTR :)
I want some news too
blastawaythewall

Wow, I just checked out your Twitter account.

Mr James, many congratulations on your baby! You must be seriously busy these days! My best wishes to you and your family.

Suggested names:
If it's a boy you should name him Kutford.
If it's a girl you should name her Agari.

Good to know also that you're getting closer to opening the Kickstarter campaign. Good luck with everything!
Glen

Post by Glen »

it's looking good on twitter :)
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Did you know...

That James is followed by Barack Obama on twitter?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)