GeneRally TrackDatabase

General discussion about your experience with the game.
Crono
Forum Admin

Re: GeneRally TrackDatabase

Post by Crono »

New Version out! :wave: The Trackdatabase supports the different track versions of gr (1.03 and 1.05). Also it is now possible to write comments for newsposts.

The Trackdatabase is available under a new domain: http://trackdb.planet-generally.de

Edit: Added v1.10 support ;)

Cu Crono
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

I made another update. Beside a few small bugfixes it is not possible to rate your own tracks anymore.

Trackdatabase is still available at http://trackdb.planet-generally.de for people who want to upload theyr tracks.

Cu Crono
Lukeno94
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Lukeno94 »

It's a shame more people don't use this...
Hangman

Post by Hangman »

I think you have track length and world size messed up there. But otherwise it looks fine and it certainly needs more tracks.
Rampage.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Fixed. It was all right, just the uploadform was named wrong :D

Cu Crono
Buka

Post by Buka »

Wow. I thought it was beta. We should really use it more to diversify risks of loosing tracks again.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

It isn´t beta, but there is still room for improvements :D

Cu Crono
nielske
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by nielske »

Cool project (and well executed!), I always loved the old database (despite its flaws).

Maybe a link to this database should be added on the homepage of www.gene-rally.com?
// My old tracks (2003-2010) | My new tracks (2011-2012) //
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

nielske wrote:Cool project (and well executed!), I always loved the old database (despite its flaws).

Maybe a link to this database should be added on the homepage of http://www.gene-rally.com?
Some restructuring on the forum is possible to happen on GRIF, hopefully in July. Everything depends on James' wishes. ;)
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
Alex

Post by Alex »

Herbal wrote:
nielske wrote:Cool project (and well executed!), I always loved the old database (despite its flaws).

Maybe a link to this database should be added on the homepage of http://www.gene-rally.com?
Some restructuring on the forum is possible to happen on GRIF, hopefully in July. Everything depends on James' wishes. ;)
Should we be able to decide what is included on the restructuring or not? It might help you guys a bit if we do.
Look to the left ----------------> that's to the right, mate :(
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
GRC S18 - 15th out of 26 (7th out of 14 in junior standings)
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Just registered...but I need to clear some things out before starting to upload some tracks.

1. Is it right that when registering you are given a link to the rules but instead the news page shows up?
2. When uploading a tpk you can only upload one picture?
3. When uploading a tpk you can only add one tag?
4. Is there a file size and dimension limit for the pictures? I guess the TDB does an automatic resize to pics width of 500 px...
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

When I have time, I'll start uploading my tracks. Good job Crono :bg:.
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

Sorry for letting you wait, but I wrote some tests last two weeks Worried I will answer your questions:

1. Is it right that when registering you are given a link to the rules but instead the news page shows up?
That may be some small error ^^ I will correct that in the update this week.

2. When uploading a tpk you can only upload one picture?
Yes.

3. When uploading a tpk you can only add one tag?
Yes.

4. Is there a file size and dimension limit for the pictures? I guess the TDB does an automatic resize to pics width of 500 px...
No, it will resize the pictures - you dont have to resize the pictures by yourself.

@Dan Hakulín: Thank you for uploading your tracks :)

Cu Crono
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

I'd be glad if you allowed more tags, it shows type of tracks in trackpack more precisely and also if for example I am looking for stc tracks I may miss some which are uploaded in a pack.

Everybody upload new tracks, old tracks, everything :D. We must make this thing big.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I think the problem here is copyrights and the fact that the new Tdb hasn't been spread around enough for everyone to know.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
GRACE S1 - 25th out of 47 drivers and 14th out of 18 teams. Not bad for a first season eh?
LongBow
GeneRally Wizard

Post by LongBow »

Dan Hakulín wrote:I'd be glad if you allowed more tags, it shows type of tracks in trackpack more precisely and also if for example I am looking for stc tracks I may miss some which are uploaded in a pack.
I agree. And more pictures when uploading a trackpack would also be great. In these way you can cover well all tracks in a single trackpack.

And another suggestion. The search function searches only through the tracks names. It would be great if there would be also an option for searching the description of the tracks as well.
Lets say that I'm searching a track that was converted from NFS but I cant recall the name. If the author would fill in the info in the description of the tracks that is from NFS I would easily find it.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

So I uploaded all my tracks I remember and have :D. BTW if anybody finds out that there is track made by me and not uploaded on track database please send me personal message :).
Alex

Post by Alex »

Wow! That looked like it really helped the TDB. If more trackmakers upload everything made by them this will catch on like the original TDB.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
rgraves22

Post by rgraves22 »

Perhaps add a feature to reset the query?
Crono
Forum Admin

Post by Crono »

First: Thank you for uploading nearly 60 tracks! There are 94 Tracks in the database now :bg:
I'd be glad if you allowed more tags, it shows type of tracks in trackpack more precisely and also if for example I am looking for stc tracks I may miss some which are uploaded in a pack.
That will be a big change in the code, i cant promise anything, but i will consider this for future updates.
I think the problem here is copyrights [...]
What do you mean exactly?
And more pictures when uploading a trackpack would also be great.
This would also be a big change and I am not sure if it is really really needed, since you can include more than one screenshots in the picture. But I will think about a solution for this problem.
The search function searches only through the tracks names.
Good point. One problem I have here: Searching in such long description texts is very slow, but I will include it in the next Update. Should be no Problem for now.
This Forum for example indexes every post and stores the results in an extra table for faster searching and at the moment i dont know how to implement such a feature :D

Cu Crono
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Yeah, that table keep lists of each individual words used in time on forum and gives an ID to each word, another tells, in which posts that word was used and there's also 0/1 flag system, if it was used in subject of post/topic or not (and of course many other things). :scratch:

2 ideas:
Add final link to database site into first post of this topic. :D
Before track is verified by database team (if is valid), it can take few hours, while the track is not visible. It would be nice to add small public note row to top of track list page, that ''X tracks currently wait on approval'' to keep us in frame, what we can wait for in close future. :)

Great to see guys filling it. :trampo:
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

i feel that the tag aspect of any future versions is vital. Even if it means just increasing it to 2.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Alright! :goal: Now we've kicked it into gear.
Owner of Team GeneAlex
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

It's not possible to upload avatar, is it?
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

More feedback:
I pressed by accident comment button, so added empty comment to a track. It should give an oops notification and not save it.
In uploading menu would be good to add option to choose one or more co-author person from TDB registered users, I think guys working like AleksiNir & Darjo would appreciate it.
Dan Hakulín wrote:So I uploaded all my tracks I remember and have :D. BTW if anybody finds out that there is track made by me and not uploaded on track database please send me personal message :).
Some stages maybe to add? :yummy: