F1 - Season 2014 *Spoilers*

Discussions about hobbies, sports or anything else filling our lives time next to GeneRally.
RobertRacer

Re: F1 - Season 2014 *Spoilers*

Post by RobertRacer »

1nsane wrote:Great job, Bianchi and Marussia! And... Chilton apparently finished too!

*liemode activated* Yeah, good job by them. :| (Pokerface [down]) *liemode deactivated* *ragemode activated* :evil:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R.I.P. Caterham F1 (2010-2015) @ R.I.P. best TopGear (2002-2015) R.I.P. Jules Bianchi (1989-2015)
Rex on Twitter
My GWR racing career
Windblitz Motorsports GWR-stats
My GR-stuff
Crowella
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Crowella »

I feel for Sutil. The overtaking moves he was doing was impressive.

That race was extremely satisfying to watch. Marussia getting into the points wad a highlight for me. Sure, there were a lot of incidents to get them there but they also were involved in a few and that move on Kobyashi was the bravest move I've seen in F1 for many years.

Shame neither Red Bull or Ferrari can match the Mercs up front. Ricciardo was damn close but that car just doesn't have the acceleration to get them.
View my archived circuits/cars here
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Crowella wrote:I feel for Sutil. The overtaking moves he was doing was impressive.
I just feel the same about him and Sauber altogether: they didn't score any points at all, and six races are already past.
Crowella wrote:That race was extremely satisfying to watch. Marussia getting into the points wad a highlight for me. Sure, there were a lot of incidents to get them there but they also were involved in a few and that move on Kobyashi was the bravest move I've seen in F1 for many years.
Yup, it is a notable moment for Marussia, although I have always thought, Caterham will be the first one to score points from "small teams". Bianchi indeed has a potential, would be great to see him in a better team.
Founder and ex-administrator of GeneRally International Forum
Räbinä Awards: Competition organizer 2012, Carmaker 2014
My racing career, my tracks, and my cars
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Well, I kinda got the feeling that Caterham would just keep on rolling on the same level as soon as they had to get two pay drivers in the team last year. And as Fernandes has now put the team for sale, the motivation in the team might have been low for a while already. But certainly, Marussia has done a great job, coming from over a second behind of Caterham a year or two ago to beat them quite clearly in Monaco. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bianchi being moved to a better team next year. Kimi is propably going to be kicked out from Ferrari now that Domenicali is not there. So he could be replaced by either Bianchi or Hülkenberg. And if it's Hulkster, then Bianchi could get his seat... :scratch: Okay, it's too early to think about 2015 seats. :D
Check out my music at Youtube!
And don't forget my homepage Here!
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

Maybe it's because I'm more of a Caterham fan than Marussia, but I think the result was a little bit unfair... Bianchi deserved that penalty, the team knew he had it and he never took it. Yes, of course he got the time penalty at the end, but at Monaco that's way better than coming in and getting stuck behind other cars... This isn't the first time that's happened, either, I'm really annoyed at how late F1 is sometimes with penalties and how it lets drivers get away with delaying them. There are plenty of valid criticisms of NASCAR, but they would never allow drivers and teams to pull tricks like that...
I like short, simple signatures!
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

Bianchi did take the penalty, 5 seconds were added to his time at the end of the race. He did take it at his one and only pitstop, but as this was under safety car it wasnt valid so was added as time, as would be the case if someone had no pitstops remaining.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Yes, this new 5 secs. penalty for minor offences was created with the idea to penalize without requiring an additional unscheduled drive-through. If the car will do until end of the race a scheduled pit-stop, then it's extended by the time and if not, then fine, same five secs to race time in finish, equally fair. Only the safety car made a mess this time in that.
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Finally there are some news again from Schumacher, and the best one that could happen. Michael, I think that should be considered as your biggest win all time.
FRUKIScze

Post by FRUKIScze »

Herbal wrote:Finally there are some news again from Schumacher, and the best one that could happen. Michael, I think that should be considered as your biggest win all time.
Once a champion, always a champion. Once a fighter, always a fighter :boxing:
4 times pole-sitter in GRPL F2. Future GRPL F2POSTPONEDrace winner. 1 time best of the rest qualification in GRPL F1.
(last edit: 18/09/2020)
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

No one wrote about sensation that Williams have first places? And that Vettel didn't qualify to Q3?
Upcoming: Corse de Vivedo | Sandhill | Rockfield | Calton Park | Riviera | I.D | I.D | I.D
ALL TRACKS
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

It was very nice surprise to see Williams in those positions (first time since 2003 they had complete first row). But I really hoped they could win or at least I was rooting for them :D. Maybe next time :D. Vettel struggling was a highlight to me as well :D.
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Did you guys notice that F1 has some testing going on today? Pirelli is trying 18" rims on F1 cars. What do you prefer? :D.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

The 18" are cool, I'd just like to see them on a car that's also built around the 18" rims, so the brakes and stuff are correctly sized etc.
And the front rim design is awful. I wish the teams get to design their own rims.

But the idea is good, and it's about time this happened.
Bouncebackability
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Bouncebackability »

When next to one another like above the 13" look rubbish, but I had never thought that before and expected to not like the 18" :scratch:
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

@BBA exactly, I mean with better rim design it might be just fine to watch them :scratch: ...formula E uses simmilar size and it is not that terrible
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

Yes, Formula E also use 18". Otherwise only IndyCar Series and Indy Lights use 15" AFAIK. Auto GP, Formula Renault 2.0 and 3.5, F3, U.S. F2000, Pro Mazda, Super Formula (ex Formula Nippon), GP2 and GP3 all use 13" ATM too.

BTW anybody knows why exactly 18", please? To me it looks like from one extreme to another, I'd prefer 15/16". :shrug:
Michkov

Post by Michkov »

Trigger Happy wrote:BTW anybody knows why exactly 18", please? To me it looks like from one extreme to another, I'd prefer 15/16". :shrug:
From what I remember it was a condition of Pirelli coming into F1, but the series pushed the introduction back indefinitely at the time. Dunno why the are now going for 18" for 2015 though.
It opens up the tyre supply situation as well, as Michelin always said they are only going to come back if they switch to bigger wheels. They already use 18" wheels in WEC so they got the moulds and technology to come back if they wanted I guess.
1nsane

Post by 1nsane »

Michkov wrote:They already use 18" wheels in WEC
And that's pretty much the same reason why Pirelli is pushing for them. They are using the larger wheels in other series, so it would be easier for them to transfer the data between each series and make it cheaper, easier and faster to develop a new tyre. Maybe this 18" thing was a "must happen" clause in Pirelli's new contract after being buried hard by the teams. As in maybe F1 would have ended up racing with just the rims this season if this wasn't agreed on. :D
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

For now this rims don't look so good. As Ivo said, 15" would be ok. But, are we saying it's ugly or not, that's not change anything. But maybe Pirelli will change something and it will be nice for almost all of interested in.
Upcoming: Corse de Vivedo | Sandhill | Rockfield | Calton Park | Riviera | I.D | I.D | I.D
ALL TRACKS
YoNnie

Post by YoNnie »

Guys, what do you say about Vettel? He won F1 Champioships 4 times in a row, now better looks Ricciardo and he's starting to leading in RBR.
I always thought Vettel isn't the best, fantastic car and favorizing in the team helped him in winning, but he was showing that he can win without very good car. His condition is too weak as the champion.
But I think new drivers can make F1 better, esecially Bottas and Magnuss (Kvyat isn't so bad too). Hope F1 come back to years of glamour.
ALL TRACKS
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Personally I am so glad Vettel is performing bad this year :D.
Trigger Happy
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Trigger Happy »

BTW is it settled as a FIA tradition already - to do a "mid-season random feature ban, if the championship becomes too predictable" - or what does that mean? Previous year before Silverstone, this time just after race there. :pillepalle:
bduddy

Post by bduddy »

YoNnie wrote:Guys, what do you say about Vettel? He won F1 Champioships 4 times in a row, now better looks Ricciardo and he's starting to leading in RBR.
I always thought Vettel isn't the best, fantastic car and favorizing in the team helped him in winning, but he was showing that he can win without very good car. His condition is too weak as the champion.
But I think new drivers can make F1 better, esecially Bottas and Magnuss (Kvyat isn't so bad too). Hope F1 come back to years of glamour.
Without a doubt, Vettel is having a terrible season. But let's wait another year or two before we start calling his four championships a fluke, OK?

Merged double reply from Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:12 pm:
Trigger Happy wrote:BTW is it settled as a FIA tradition already - to do a "mid-season random feature ban, if the championship becomes too predictable" - or what does that mean? Previous year before Silverstone, this time just after race there. :pillepalle:
What's even worse is the reasoning, that front-to-rear suspension is a "moving aerodynamic device". Why is suspension allowed at all, then? :roll:
I like short, simple signatures!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

So Bernie seems to be getting away with the bribery just because he pays the justice court 100 million dollars. Another bribe, only this time legal. Ridiculous, you have money, you don't need to go to prison apparently..
Herbal
GeneRally Carmaster

Post by Herbal »

Mad Dan wrote:So Bernie seems to be getting away with the bribery just because he pays the justice court 100 million dollars. Another bribe, only this time legal. Ridiculous, you have money, you don't need to go to prison apparently..
Don't have illusions. Bernie wouldn't have needed to go to jail, as he is already 84 years old.