Developer Blog

Where to discuss the official sequel. Developers blog, kickstarter, your experience with pre-alpha demo, ideas etc.
mayfly

Re: Developer Blog

Post by mayfly »

Loving the new car model. I too think there should not be custom liveries. I like looking at the models and knowing they are GR ones not a different game. The spherical tyres help the look =) Does it effect the gameplay / handling?
Are you guys looking at doing two wheel vehicles with the game? It's a vehicle I noticed had odd physics in places on the original GR and would be interesting to see how plays in the new GR.
jefcam

Post by jefcam »

Something again regarding the sperical tyres.

Personally I think that now the cars have more polys , they will be more detailed as we saw that new F1 car in the blog.

Maybe having normal tyres would go much more with the new car models.
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Looks like everyone's right; it's better to leave the coloring as it is than to make carmaking look much more complex. The thing for sure is that we should have more detailed liveries but with more pallete colors (255 colors are never enough tbh). As for the wheels, keep them as they are because those wheels are the reason why GeneRally is GeneRally :p
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

Keep the wheels spheres! :bg:
One

Post by One »

Great great great ! Can't wait to get the Car Editor to start working !
a.k.a Lyserg and previously GeneHunter
puttz

Post by puttz »

Spherical wheels only- no regular tires in GR!
April 2012 rookie of the month, winner CoM Nov/Dec 2013 (NASCAR CWTS 2013), Jan/Feb 2014 (NASCAR Sprint Cup 2014) and Sep/Oct 2014 (TUDOR USC GT Lemans), Winner 2013 Competition Organizer Rabina Award
Volcano Motorsports
Check out my stuff
Owner and promoter of NAGRCA
Glen

Post by Glen »

I don't want to see normal tires too
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Oh ! And an important question here ! :wave:

Will GR the Sequel will have a Windows XP support ?

I ask this because I recently bought a game (Stonehearth) and didn't work on Windows XP. I ask them what happen, is there will be a fix to support this operating system. They answered me they don't know, as Microsoft will retire it definitly and will not ever support it. I'm afraid my money's lost (but I will ask them if they can bring my money back :rage: ).

So I'm also afraid of it for GR the Sequel as I'm ready to give something for you. I don't want to give my money to a game that will not work on my computer, and I don't want to upgrade it as I'm very happy of it.
I'm sure that many users and many members of this forum have Windows XP and it's a very important question to all of us regarding the Sequel.

Thanks in advance for your answer ! :)

(Happy to see you again Glen ! :bsmile: )

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

mayfly wrote:Are you guys looking at doing two wheel vehicles with the game?
When we've cemented the 4-wheel physics, it's definitely something we can look into - but I can't really make any promises at this stage... in lots of ways, 2-wheel physics are a far more complex beast :)
Kikwik wrote:Will GR the Sequel will have a Windows XP support ?
Short answer - yes.
Longer answer - Unity games are (at least in Unity 4) stated as being Windows XP SP2-compatible, and we'll be doing what we can to ensure we don't "break" that in any way :)
Kikwik

Post by Kikwik »

Oh great ! :heyea:
Thanks for the quick and positive answer !
You'll definitely have my support ! :bg:

The Unofficial Archivist of GR1 - Founder of the GR Database
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Windows XP support sounds good for me too. :) End of support means nothing if you are doing secure web tasks with good defense.

Little off topic but: For Windows XP and good free defense I bet on Panda Cloud. It will support it after it's doom's day also.
Gentlemens, start your engines!
blastawaythewall

Post by blastawaythewall »

Beautiful update. Wow. That poly count seems to be spot on!

+1 on not having decals.

Can't wait for the Kickstarter campaign to start...
blastawaythewall

Post by blastawaythewall »

James wrote: Closed alpha testing will begin in January, with a few testers we've already selected (but not yet notified :p) - it'll basically be ensuring that there are no obviously huge flaws, and allowing us to get feedback on some of the design choices (both in terms of visuals, and gameplay). Kickstarter will be the first opportunity for everyone else to get their hands on the sequel, as it'll be a perk of most of the funding tiers. After that... we haven't really made any decisions :)
I went through the whole thread for the first time. Regarding this point, I believe you should consider how much of the game we'll be allowed to play as a Kickstarter perk. If it feels like a complete game, people would start sharing it which could harm your funding goal. GeneRally fans will most likely participate, and people that are new to the game and the project can get a feel for it by playing v1.2. Present it like a dream, and let us show you that your dream is also our dream.

People should not feel that the funding goal (ie building GR2) has already been achieved!
mayfly

Post by mayfly »

Great to hear you will be thinking of two wheel physics in the future. I understand how hard 2 wheel physics are. Big developers seem to always have had difficulty getting accurate physics and feel in 2 wheel games for years. 4 Wheels is always fun, especially Generally. I can live with 4 wheels and making motocross tracks for them =)

With regards to the closed testing / being careful not to give too much out, that's why its going to be closed testing I guess. I helped with a MX vs ATV game mod which we did closed testing. We gave out the full version of what we were working on, but made sure we were careful who it went out to so we knew we could trust it was in safe hands.

It's completely up to the GR team how they deal with it and either way they have got my funding once kickstarter goes up and hopefully many more GR fans =) And about making sure it doesn't feel like a complete game for a kickstarter perk, I am expecting that it definitely wouldn't and its WIP. It takes alot of time / effort to make games even if it was a full time effort, let along as something done in spare time....
resir014

Post by resir014 »

James wrote:Unity games are (at least in Unity 4) stated as being Windows XP SP2-compatible, and we'll be doing what we can to ensure we don't "break" that in any way :)
Unity engine? YES.
@resir014 | GWR Stats | My GeneRally Stuffs | Twitter
"When I have finished explaining you will understand less."
Marco

Post by Marco »

James, is there any chance that you will realese that car editor soon? :yummy:
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

blastawaythewall wrote:I went through the whole thread for the first time. Regarding this point, I believe you should consider how much of the game we'll be allowed to play as a Kickstarter perk. If it feels like a complete game, people would start sharing it which could harm your funding goal. GeneRally fans will most likely participate, and people that are new to the game and the project can get a feel for it by playing v1.2. Present it like a dream, and let us show you that your dream is also our dream.

People should not feel that the funding goal (ie building GR2) has already been achieved!
Hmm, perhaps we weren't so clear on that previously - there are two aspects here: firstly, people will be able to play a limited 'demo' of the game in a pre-alpha state, as part of our Kickstarter campaign 'promotion' - this is a far-from-complete example of the game, as would be expected at this stage; secondly, people will be able to gain access to the community alpha testing phase by funding the KS at a certain level. The demo coming with KS will be a single track, in a time-trial scenario, with very little else available... simply a 'snapshot' of the level we're at so far (and will not support any kind of community modification, unlike the final game).
marinator wrote:James, is there any chance that you will realese that car editor soon? :yummy:
The car editor will almost certainly come before the general release - but it's likely to be towards the end of the alpha phase... obviously, with community cars and tracks being such a crucial part of GR, we want to get the tools into your hands as soon as is viable, but we have to ensure that all our desired features are included and ready to be utilised first :) Of course, you can always explore car-making options in your favourite modelling software now, as long as you stick within a 200 poly limit. We'll be supporting importing from a common 3D format into the car editor!
Marco

Post by Marco »

Well thats good to hear :)
Owner of Wulff Motorsport team and car company
Formerly marinator
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
All my released tracks and cars
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

will there be any verticle limitations as before or just those 200 polygons?
Because I'd start modeling new cars right away just to know how I can use those limits in GR later :D.
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Mad Dan wrote:will there be any verticle limitations as before or just those 200 polygons?
Because I'd start modeling new cars right away just to know how I can use those limits in GR later :D.
At the present time, all we have planned is 200 polygon limit :) Obviously, we'll have other features that might require certain materials to be applied (like for windows, lights, etc.) - but, nothing that should stop you experimenting now :)
CozmicDragon

Post by CozmicDragon »

200 polygon limit will be awesome. Only thing that will be problematic with that is actually making my GR1 cars look good in GR2 as I do intend to convert them to the new game.
Beginner GR Car Maker & GR Racer (emphasis on Beginner...)
You can use any of my stuff for anything you want (except making profit of it), as long as you credit me. DON'T PM ME REQUESTING PERMISSIONS!!!
Just snoopin' around whenever I feel like it. Lost most of my stuff after my PC broke though...
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

As promised, we've put out a new developer blog giving the details on Kickstarter and our target launch date. We're just waiting on things that are out of our hands now :)
Rendy

Post by Rendy »

Hmm... DAT NIGHT MOOD! *o*

Speaking of moods, or in this case, palettes, will there also be palette customizations too? I'm wondering if I could make an Autumn / Fall palette in GR2. Plus, will the weather and time customization be implemented here? Sorry if the latter question has been asked before.
Y'all, I just woke up... what did I miss?

GeneRally Catalogue - [R]GARAGE - Twitter - Blog
James
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by James »

Rendy wrote:Hmm... DAT NIGHT MOOD! *o*

Speaking of moods, or in this case, palettes, will there also be palette customizations too? I'm wondering if I could make an Autumn / Fall palette in GR2. Plus, will the weather and time customization be implemented here? Sorry if the latter question has been asked before.
We'll have (or rather, we already have) a full day/night cycle, which will incorporate different cycle speeds... and also fixed times of day for you to choose from/play with. We're also aiming for some rain/snow simulation, too :) It won't be palettes as you know them now, but it'll still (hopefully) be awesome!
Mad Dan
GeneRally Trackmaster

Post by Mad Dan »

That sounds interesting :bg:. I will surely check the kickstarter and "kick" you a bit too :D.